Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Herbs & Potions bug reports and suggestions
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > Small mods, tweaks and fixes
CamDawg
I noticed a few anomalies while playing, so I had a closer look at the items with NI.

Oak Club +1
Uses 'None' as its proficiency and has 'Quarterstaff' listed as the proficiency in the description

Poisonkiss Staff +1
Uses Quarterstaff proficiency but the description says club.

Poison, Virulent Poison
Has 'Missile Weapon' listed as its proficiency in the description, though this is a BG term and not BG2. The items themselves have 'None' set in the item file for proficiency. Having to use them as weapons is a bit counterintuitive--all other potions are targeted out of the quickslot (such as Firebreath or Acidic Explosive). The other problem is that they're not flagged as potions so they can't be stored in potion cases. It seems that the rationale is that it can only be used on one person, ergo we want a to-hit roll. If that's the case, I'd rather have these potions work like an assassin's poison ability where I can coat my own weapon and do poison damage that way.

Staves
The staves all have "Not Usable By" in the description, though they're usable by all. Monks can not use staves.

Non-healing potions
Wizard slayers are not allowed to use magic potions outside of healing ones.

Sleeping Powder
Uses a bag icon when in inventory, but when moved around it changes to a scroll. I'm not sure if it's intended or not but it is set as a scroll item meaning it can be stored in scroll cases rather than potion cases.

Acidic Explosive, Concentrated Acidic Explosive
Former uses a fireball animation and does not stick around for 10 rounds as promised. Neither of them do acid damage.

The Rock Golem has nothing to say to me; even a generic "the golem stares vacantly" line like the ones in CI would be an improvement. I strongly suggest the herbs be spread around the game as the current system is suboptimal.
Baronius
First of all, thanks for this report.

This mod is optimized for BG1, it is primarily for Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast. BG1Tutu (and BG2) players may play it without problems, but it wasn't specifically made for Tutu or BG2. However, I'll certainly fix any inconsistencies if I can.

Oak Club +1
Uses 'None' as its proficiency and has 'Quarterstaff' listed as the proficiency in the description

Poisonkiss Staff +1
Uses Quarterstaff proficiency but the description says club.
Thanks a lot, I've just fixed them!

The items themselves have 'None' set in the item file for proficiency. Having to use them as weapons is a bit counterintuitive--all other potions are targeted out of the quickslot (such as Firebreath or Acidic Explosive).

They are weapons because you throw them. I am not the prisoner of conventions, each player will decide if he likes this option or no. It's meant to be something new.

[...]The other problem is that they're not flagged as potions so they can't be stored in potion cases.

Staves
The staves all have "Not Usable By" in the description, though they're usable by all. Monks can not use staves.

Non-healing potions
Wizard slayers are not allowed to use magic potions outside of healing ones.

Poison, Virulent Poison
Has 'Missile Weapon' listed as its proficiency in the description, though this is a BG term and not BG2.

BG2/Tutu specific things, thanks for paying my attention about these inconsistencies.

Sleeping Powder
Uses a bag icon when in inventory, but when moved around it changes to a scroll. I'm not sure if it's intended or not but it is set as a scroll item meaning it can be stored in scroll cases rather than potion cases.
It's a bag yeah, but a soft bag. You might be able to store it in a (bigger) scroll case smile.gif

The Rock Golem has nothing to say to me; even a generic "the golem stares vacantly"
BG2-specific, yes this problem is also inherited from the original mod (where obviously it didn't matter).

I strongly suggest the herbs be spread around the game as the current system is suboptimal.

This is true, this mod contains all herbs in one place (unlike it was originally planned). In BG1 Quest Pack, they are planned to be spread.

Thanks again for the report, I have just corrected the most important bugs.
Lemernis
I'm trying this out for the first time, had Jouma make something from springrose, and Jouma warns not to break her concentration. She casts Luck. But nothing further happens. I went to the Nashkel Fair to look around, came back, and she tells me I broke her concentration. I even rested for 8 hours at the inn, came back, and she still tells me that I have broken her concentration.

I have a lot of mods installed, and I added quite a few Tweaks with the BG2 Tweak Pack. Maybe I should just reinstall Herbs & Potions?
Baronius
You tried to speak with her while she was casting/brewing a potion for you, and that broke her concentration. But then she should be "reset", i.e. offer you to brew again.
It might be due to another mod, I'm not sure. Reinstall Herbs and Potions, it will certainly solve the problem.

I plan to revise (extend) this mod, not in the next 6-9 months though.
Lemernis
Thankee kindly, I reinstalled the mod and it's working fine now.
Lemernis
I just had Jouma enchant "a staff," which was ostensibly Aule's Staff in the hands of the protagonist (it was the only staff the party had). The game said the weapon was enchanted but when I read the weapon's description I saw no upgrade. Shouldn't the description have changed?
Baronius
Did Juoma take the staff from you? Are you sure it was that staff?

This is very strange, because my mod searches for an unenchanted Quarter Staff (filename: STAF01), i.e. the simplest staff of the game, and Juoma does not accept any other staves for enchanting.
Lemernis
Apologies for my confusion, I didn't realize Jouma had to be spoken to again to get the item! I assumed the item crafting would work like Cromwell or Cespenar, where the item remains in the character's inventory.

What I had done is removed the party's two mundane quarterstaffs, laying them on the ground, with only Aule's Staff left amongst the party's inventory before aksing Jouma to perform the enchantment. My hope was that the +3 staff would then get upgraded. I overlooked that Jouma had instead taken one of the staff's lying on the ground. And sure enough when I speak to her again she gives it back, the item appearing in the inventory as enchanted.

I guess I have to keep reloading to get the better possible item, i.e., the poisonous quaterstaff with +3 enchantment (vs. the one that adds +1 fire damage).

When you upgrade this mod, if you intend to add to the crafting options I have a suggestion. There was a wonderful enchanted quarterstaff in Dark Side of the Coast that had a percent chance to break one of the victom's bones, effected by casting Slow upon the victim. I think it may have been called "Crusher." It was a fun weapon, and it'd be great to see it back in the game.
Baronius
Thank you for the suggestion! I'll definitely add when revising the Herbs mod.

Do you think Juoma should initiate dialogue with you once the potion/enchanted item is ready?
Lemernis
Yeah, it may avoid some confusion, probably a good idea after the enchantment is finished for Jouma to say okay your item's ready, here it is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.