Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Import BGII animations to IWDII
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Tutorials, hints & tips > Graphics-related tutorials
egm
Tools needed: NearInfinity, Bamworkshop

Ok,

You want to transfer, let's say, Irenicus BAM's into IWDII 'cos you need a great villain for your mod, or want to transfer half-dragon to BGII because they are so COOL. It can be easy or quite difficult (long in fact) to transfer those animations, 'cos BGII BAMs and IWDII bams are different in the numbers and disposition of sequences.
Explaination: Irenicus bams are presented like this if you browse it with NearInfinity:
NIREG1.BAM
NIREG11.BAM
NIREG12.BAM
NIREG13.BAM
NIREG14.BAM
NIREG15.BAM
NIREG2.BAM
NIREG21.BAM
NIREG22.BAM
NIREG23.BAM
NIREG24.BAM
NIREG25.BAM
NIREG26.BAM

The bams NIREG1=>NIREG15 are mainly for movement: standing position, walking, falling, etc.
The bams NIREG2=>NIREG26 are for battle: attack animations, casting spells, being hit...

The problem is that's the IWDII animations prefer a different model. Let's take the goblin shaman: the animations core name is NGOC**.bam.
The ** is the suffix unique for each movement. Just take a look:
A1: melee attack1
A2: melee attack2
A4: distance attack
CA: ending spell casting
DE: falling
GH: get hurt
GU: get up
SC: standing combat
SD: standing other
SL: slayed
SP: casting spell
TW: dead (ground)
WK: walking

The BAMS===============================

Everything understandable right now? With Bamworkshop, you must browse your Irenicus animations to see what bams suit the IWDII naming rules. For example, NIREG11.BAM is the walking animations of our NPC.

One thing to consider: the animations slot in IWDII are different than the BGII ones. So, there is no Irenicus animation slot. You MUST fill an empty slot (there's plenty of them in IWDII, I've listed them in an other post) or replace an existing slot (if a particular animations isn't needed in IWG project-like histachii).
For our example, NIREG11 become MGOCWK. Right?
Another clue: animations with an additionnal E at their end are right-facing animations. They are needed if you have not set the mirror animations option in the setup. You must make them

Everything should work fine, doesn't it?

The Sequences==========================
Yes, there's a difference in the number and disposition of the sequences from BGII to IWDII. Just have a look to our NIREG11.bam: you can see that there are 54 sequences, but only nine are useful. You must first delete the unused sequences.
There are nine sequences left. Even then, you must delete somes: you need only the south, south-west, west, north west and north facing sequences for most of the animations solts. Delete the others. You have 5 sequences left.
Ok, you have a fully functionnable animations. You must repeat this task for all of the bams you want to use (good luck!)...

Let's go to the right facing animations (the bams with a E at the end): in the bams, you must create five empty sequences, to simulate the left-facing ones. You must then create three more sequences, the right-facing ones. You need only a north-east, east and south-east facing sequence.

That's it. To correctly convert a BGII animations, it took me over an hour, without making the right-facing animations (it's quite boring).
They are plenty of IWD-slots that are not used in IWDII. I will post their names later.
jastey
Is it later now? tongue.gif
I'm thinking of using IWDII-Animations in BGII, so I'm reading this with great interest.
But then again maybe I just wait for Galactygon's animation mod release. happy.gif
Sir-Kill
DLTCEP can create the flip frames automaticaly I belive, if not semi-auto
Seifer
Did anything ever come of this list then?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.