Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reign of the Masque classes
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate II > Inactive and waiting projects > Reign of the Masque
egm
help.gif

I need your advice, you all.

As a TC, Reign of the Masque will modify nearly ALL character classes (some deeper than other). Even then, some classes will keep their scope:

- warriors
- rangers
- thieves
- barbarians (?)

Is their a feature you wish to find in this classes? A kit? An ability?
Tell me your ideas/requests!
egm
Well, one feature that will be implemented in ROTM:

- find secret container (for thieves): the find traps skill will be renamed in "Search" skill. It will allow to find secret containers or even hidden regions. Of course, party (or just the thief) will be rewarded in XP if the secret container is critical for main/sub quest.

I don't know yet if I will be able to implement this for all classes (I know I can implement the ability score to everybody, but not the button).
Windwalker
Not quite sure if what I'm saying below will be of use to me, but here is my piece:
The Barbarian is not a class. It is a fighter kit, hardcored to appear in the classes screen, instead of the fighter kit screen. What I'm proposing is to move the barbarian "kit" under the fighter kit selection screen, and use the slot available in the classes section to implement a completely new class (perhaps prestige classes from the DM's guide could help here).
egm
Hey that's an idea!

Do you have one in mind?
egm
Here a list (not complete) of ROTM classes:

- Armsmen (fighters)
- Wanderers (rangers): a ranger without spellcast features, but with tracking and set traps abilities;
- Harmonists: replace Priests as there are no gods in Twilight Realms. They make magic with arts;
- Mages: autorized ascendancy mages. They own their rights from the Cypher-sorcerer, the most powerfull guild of all Harmundia; they are divided into 3 obediences with different spells.
- Wild mages: un-autorized ascendancy mages; they lack some of the skills of autorized mages but can cast spell of all 3 obediences; they are chased to death by the bounty hunters of the cypher-sorcerer.
- Thieves (as usual): except the feture discribed below, no other idea yet
- Nobles (paladins): the name says it all.

There are no druids in ROTM. There are bards, but they are Harmonists.
the idea to put barbarians at their own place (under the "armsman" class) is good but I don't know what to put instead
jastey
What exactly will be the abilities of a harmonist? Is he more a bard, or more like druid/priest (speaking of his abilities), or some combination of both? Is a harmonist able to heal and resurrect?

What is the advantage of a wild mage compared with an (authorised) mage? From your description I don't really see why I should choose playing as a wild mage... smile.gif

You are taking very great efforts into this TC, really! I'm looking foreward to seeing this new game you are creating! happy.gif
egm
What exactly will be the abilities of a harmonist? Is he more a bard, or more like druid/priest (speaking of his abilities), or some combination of both? Is a harmonist able to heal and resurrect?
Harmonists is just the name of the class which replaced clerics. there will be 4 sub-classes (the main one and 3 kits), each one devolved to the practice of one magical arts. here there are:

Tune (music): the magic of music deals with the mind. you can give order, hypnotize, make berserk, etc...
Scansion (poetry): deals with the secrets of time itself. You can haste or slow, make a target aging incredibly fast, recover HP faster, stop time, invoking heroes of the past...
Vista (painting): a strange art that is divided into the four seasons. regeneration, rain and growth for spring; heat, light and drought for summer; illness, decaying for autumn; cold, death for winter.
Shape (sculpture): manipulate matter at will: you can make your sword sharper, your armor stronger or your enemies'one into dust...

So I can conclude that it's mainly a conversion of bards. Some harmonists are able to heal (the spring from Vista, Scansion) but only Ascendancy (mages) is able to resurrect someone.

What is the advantage of a wild mage compared with an (authorised) mage? From your description I don't really see why I should choose playing as a wild mage...

Well, authorised mages are limited to their obedience (school). Wild mages lacks training and skills but they have access to all schools wink.gif
jastey
Ah, I see. Is a mage able to heal, too? (It's only from playing BG I know it can get annoying not to have enough healing spells available in the party...)
egm
Only one obedience is able to "heal": jornism, the "white school". The spells of this obedience are mainly defensiv and healing.
Eclipsism is the grey school: it contains spells of illusion and trickery, as well as "common" spells such as magical projectile.
Obscurantism is the black school: most of the spells here are offensiv, destructiv and just very violent: illness, blindness, fear/horror, and most of the "fire" spells.

All three schools are able to resurrect, but each spell is different: the jornist resurrection is nearly perfect, it's the same as in the d&d books. the eclipsist one resurrect the target as a newborn (not much interest in the game) and the obscurantist one resurrects the target, but more as a zombie than a living person :angry:
egm
I'm making some progress in the class management...

Fighters: as the name says it all!

Woodsmen: replace rangers

Wanderers: replace thieves
Assassin counter (like a bodyguard)
Assassin
Courtier

Nobles: replace paladins
*no kits?

Invokers: replace bards (for good reasons)
Proteist
Sorcerer
Necromancer

Decorum concordist: replace druids
Winter decorum concordist
Spring decorum concordist
Summer decorum concordist

Concordists: replace priests
Scansion concordist
Shape concordist
Tune concordist

Ascendancy Mages: replace Wizards
Jornist
Eclipsist
Obscurantist
Wild mage

Barbarians?

More details will follow
Baronius
Wanderers: replace thieves

Wanderers remind me to rangers in any way and not to thieves... maybe it's just me
egm
Yeah, I change my mind about class' names many times.

I was searching a good name for the thief class, and I took the wanderer from the Wheel of Time rpg.

But if someone has a more appropriate name that sound more like "professional" than "thief"...
Xaos_Bob
QUOTE(egm @ Jan 26 2005, 02:23 PM)
But if someone has a more appropriate name that sound more like "professional" than "thief"...

Why not use the Third Edition D&D name for the class--rogue? It has many connotations, many of them good (especially in a bad-boy or bad-girl sort of way).

I agree that "Wanderer" sounds more like a ranger. ph34r.gif
egm
yeah it's exactly what I want, thanks...
I'm french and only own french edition of D&D books...

More class features on my web site, it will be online soon!
Arca
QUOTE(jastey @ Jan 18 2005, 09:28 AM)

What is the advantage of a wild mage compared with an (authorised) mage? From your description I don't really see why I should choose playing as a wild mage... smile.gif

You are taking very great efforts into this TC, really! I'm looking foreward to seeing this new game you are creating! happy.gif

Well, those from "decorum" (sorry for the french term, it's season painting magic) "are" quite like druids in D&D.
Those from "cyse" (sculpture magic) "are" enchanters+material creators.
Those coming from "accord" (music magic) "are" quite like Domination+Presence users in Vampire dice'n paper rpg.
Those coming from "geste" (poetry magic) "are" able to mmove through time.

D&D priests, in Harmundia, "are" those using Ascendency of Jornism school.

There's no necromancy in Agone, but demon casting. It is legit on Harmundia and Agone's demons aren't all wild beast (well...). When they reach to Harmondia through demonist' contract, they are slave to the mage. But the mage have to pay them, depending of the demon's power.

egm, I'm not sure a wild mage would be a cool class. It's a Flaw in Agone's system, why would you make a class of it (a class is a Merit in Agone's system wink.gif ) ? I think Artificers or Censeurs, for exemple, are more usefull. But those two are about "prestige class" from D&D3... It's not an easy problem, i see.

The problem here from dice'n paper rpg Agone to D&D is that Agone don't use classes. Everybody is multiclassed four time to six time in Agone. And the newbie PC in Agone are like lvl 12/15 in D&D : Agone's PC are all 40 years old and at the top of their political power/knowledge when they first understand they hold the Flamme, an unique present given by the Muses to make them able to use magicals arts (Decorum, Cyse, Accord, Geste).

Those who hold the Flamme are very few in Harmundia. Major magic is 3 schools of the Ascendency : common people only know this one + few tricks they use by exploiting the world without knowing anything of the Muses... Muses left harmundia enchanted and some people use that enchantement, learning by living with it for many years... (egm, i think there about spirits used by "les Parages" and Lyphane, relics, Elementaƫs and that kind of things)

The Muses are really a lost thing PCs of Agone are trying to revive. And the Masque isn't like pure evil. He's more chaotic than evil but he always shows like an order boy... He plays a drama, and his only will is to keep playing that drama in Harmundia. He loves drama more than anything else. (That's why he seduced the Lady of the Fall wink.gif ). He's against the PCs, not to destroy them, but to corrupt them, and the Muse through them (Flamme is a part of the Muses).

Corruption of the Masque is called Perversion. It led to another kind of magic i won't tell here.

The Shadow (not sure of the official term), master of the Abysses and demons ; Janus, master of the Order in Harmundia (son of the Muses / Brother of the Masque) ; the Four Lady of Seasons are all other Eternals that use their own kind of magic (oho... it's a kind of magic... tongue.gif).

Agone is really original, prepare to be really surprise by how things are treated in this world : there's no pure good guys vs pure evil. Even evils guys figths among themselves, depending which of the "evil" Eternals they praise wink.gif

Btw, D&D alignements are really a flaw for creating an Agone mod. It's a huge problem here.
Arca
Me again, sorry i forgot to ask egm things (he lives only one kilometer away from me, shame on me to not call him biggrin.gif).

- What is a proteist ? I can't translate it back.
- Why don't you use spell lists instead of making 3 subclasses for mages (for exemple) and a mess with concordists ? Remember Tune concordists have 5/6 (!) subclasses...
- If you include barbarians, you should include corsairs, mercenaries, weapon master, etc. wink.gif => Sub classes of figthers ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.