Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell Pack Causes CTD
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate II > Lost Crossroads
horred the plague
CTD when fighting Beholders:
CODE
[Mon 12 Nov 2012 21:07:27] ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x940CB5 File: ObjCreatureAI.cpp Line: 19722 Expression: FALSE Message: (null)

Tracked it down to SpellPack, it was one of the casting effects on SPIN986 (beholder_cause_wounds). Removing the casting effects fixed the CTD. Altered in components 1405, 1517, 2215, 2240. If I made an offhand guess, I'd guess the one that uses a PreTarget casting effect instead of Self (what's supposed to be used w/ Casting effects).
Galactygon
I was unable to reproduce this (and all targettypes are set correctly) in my own non-BWS install of SpellPack. Could you attach your version of SPIN986?

-Galactygon
horred the plague
I can't provide the file as I no longer have that install.

Even though the evidence pointed that way, I'm not so sure it was the issue after all. I'm getting a lot of crashes w/o Spellpack even installed, and with ForceSpell()from scripts. Same spell fired with Spell() or RealForceSpell() works fine. Not sure exactly what the problem is, currently. Graphics-related in some way, it appears to be. ToB-Ex running...Already tried reverting things like projectiles & casting bam's to vanilla. Probably not a system problem; the PC can handle games like Skyrim on high settings. If I sort it out I'll let you know since it indirectly influences spells (and thus spell packs). NTM playtesting of my own mod in the BWP install...

Sorry for the apparently false alarm.
Galactygon
Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully BG(2):EE will provide a more reliable engine to mitigate or even eliminate these random crashes.

-Galactygon
horred the plague
I rescinded the claim on the CTD involving chant, but I have noticed something else w/ it. It's currently puttting a heap of repeat Extended effects on the PC's. This you can probably see on a local GAM file; if not I can provide one.

I highly suggest making its effects another custom secondary school, so you can remove it all easily/effectively. Or, if you know of another way, something equal in scope.

On the plus side, I wouldn't even bother complaining about it if I didn't really like your ideas for making it more realistic. I just wouldn't use it. wink.gif
Galactygon
QUOTE(horred the plague @ Dec 4 2012, 05:24 AM) *
I rescinded the claim on the CTD involving chant, but I have noticed something else w/ it. It's currently puttting a heap of repeat Extended effects on the PC's. This you can probably see on a local GAM file; if not I can provide one.

I highly suggest making its effects another custom secondary school, so you can remove it all easily/effectively. Or, if you know of another way, something equal in scope.

I was a bit hesitant to use sectypes because the hardcoded limit of 255 sectypes will quickly be filled. Instead I used combinations of a staggered self-casting 146 with a 206 coming in when I wanted the chanting to be purged. At the same time, two area effect spells are launched each second both having about 25 effects each, much of which is opcode 8. I haven't experienced slowdowns because of my much smaller installs, but if you do, then this is something I will have to take a closer look.

QUOTE(horred the plague @ Dec 4 2012, 05:24 AM) *
On the plus side, I wouldn't even bother complaining about it if I didn't really like your ideas for making it more realistic. I just wouldn't use it. wink.gif

As much as I like realism, utility comes first. I need and appreciate outside scrutiny for what I do.

-Galactygon
zahn3018
QUOTE(horred the plague @ Nov 13 2012, 12:43 PM) *
CTD when fighting Beholders:
CODE
[Mon 12 Nov 2012 21:07:27] ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x940CB5 File: ObjCreatureAI.cpp Line: 19722 Expression: FALSE Message: (null)

Tracked it down to SpellPack, it was one of the casting effects on SPIN986 (beholder_cause_wounds). Removing the casting effects fixed the CTD. Altered in components 1405, 1517, 2215, 2240. If I made an offhand guess, I'd guess the one that uses a PreTarget casting effect instead of Self (what's supposed to be used w/ Casting effects).

Hi, I seem to have this exact issue too. I'm fighting the beholder in the Secret of BoneHill mod, and I'm getting the same CTD with the same ObjCreatureAI.cpp line every time. I'm completely new to BG modding so I have no idea how to fix this, could you please help with resolving this somehow? Thanks!
Galactygon
I will give you the same response as I did Horred: could you please attach your version of SPIN986.spl? It's either in the override folder or if it's biffed, you will have to use a tool like NI or DLTCEP to extract SPIN986.spl.

-Galactygon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.