Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn undead script and general summoning
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > Enhanced Creatures
aigleborgne
Yesterday, I spent my evening to test my new turn undead script and I like it !

In BG1, it is common to summon many skeletons. Enemies waste spells and attack to dispatch them. By that time, your party is free to kill their enemies.
I found quite strange that only party use turn undead ! Never seen a mod that do it for enemies.

Well, I did it. I add several blocks to turn level 1 to 11 undead. It covers most low to mid level undead.
Paladin and clerics will now turn undead only if they are almost certain to turn them.
I looked at P&P turn undead table and it seems that the game doesn't follow it : turning is usually respected, but destroy or control is usually at higher levels.

It was fun to send 8 skeletons to Bassileus and to see them turning red almost immediatly.

About classic summon food, my script won't waste spells on summons, or at least, not so many.
My main concern about script is no cheating.
But players do know monsters and so enemies will.
Enemies won't cast a chaos spell on undead, a fireball on a fire elemental, web on spiders ... but they might try a chaos on someone protected with chaotic command.
They won't cast a level 5+ spell on a low level summons (except a few spells like cloud kill).

As for targetting, I will try to give priorities for each spell.
So you party send 10 skeletons on someone? It covers the classic ten nearest enemies but I will first try see if someone in the party is in range for an attack or a spell.
A level 7+ mage doesn't really fear a few skeletons (with some protections spells, they won't be able to hit him at all) so he will cast his spells to players if they are around.

It doesn't prevent cheese : you can still cast summons, send them, and stay outside of range. it is not my concern as I don't play like that.
When building my script, I assume a fair fight : party on one side, enemies on another, and summons (from both sides) in the middle.

I wrote a mini application to speed up script's writting : I write a single block of targetting and my script generate others. So, it's faster and safer (less mistakes).
Still, I plan another 4 months to finish all scripts but I'm also doing others things by that time.

Actually, I spend about 30 hours per week on this mod. Full motivation to finish it as soon as possible.
I have given up for many things I wanted to (time issue).

Now that SCS is the best AI mod in baldur's gate 1, I don't expect to make a better mod.
In fact, in my install, I will use both smile.gif

I've installed most SCS components and I installed Enhanced Creatures after. I'll make sure things it doesn't screw up things.
In fact, creatures should be patched correctly, and SCS scripts will be removed.
Of course, replacing scripts might improve or lower a challenge !
melkor_morgoth75
Great news indeed mate, i look forward to see your work thumb.gif

Also VERY VERY Happy u're building it taking SCS into consideration ... it would give a great challenge to AI and i'm sure great challenge to players as well, keep it up!

mm75
aigleborgne
Yes but it won't be fully compatible either !
My plan is to benefit from SCS new challenges and tweaks but to use my improved creatures.

The main problem is about scripts !
Which are the best ? I don't know, probably SCS ones because I won't support party playing script (I mean potion passing, focus fire, ....). Although it might be added on a later release.

His scripts are really challenging. Mine are more about:
- no forcespell (except for long preparation spells (8 hours+), contingency and spell trigger)
- really few stats check. it means that a mage can cast 3 flame arrows on someone protected from fire.
- full use of everything a class/kit can do (casting, attacking, turning undead, kit abilities, backstab, polymorphing, potions, scrolls, wands, ...)
- smart targeting system : heart of the script, I hope it will be good enough smile.gif They will be huge because I want something personalized for each spell but unpredicable as well.

Some SCS components will be work fine but challenges/AI probably won't in my first release.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.