Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easter eggs
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Gaming discussion, D&D, screenshots > Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal
Takara
Now, I have quite a lot of BG2 experience. Played through it many times, in many different ways. One thin I've never found, however, is any easter eggs.

Now I know not all games have these, and I'm not sure that BG2 does either. But I have heard rumours that there are some to be found. So the question ids; Are there any easter eggs to be found? And if so... where are they?
Baronius
Do you know of the Big Metal Unit? It's not really an easter egg but if you have (have imported it in some way to BG2) the Golden Pantaloons from BG1, have got the Silver Pantaloons from that noble in BG2 as a ransom (not good-aligned to complete that quest in this way though) and got the Bronze Pantaloons (or whatever they're called, I think one of the three things isn't called pantaloons), then... then the Smith in Amkethran can make you a big metal unit! And some nasty things for it... weapons... I don't like it so I never want to get the BMU (first of all, for instance I don't keep my BG1 items at the beginning of BG2 as it's basically cheat...)

I don't know of any easter eggs...
jastey
I don't keep my BG1 items at the beginning of BG2 as it's basically cheat...

If you import a character from BG1 to BGII, it is recognised by the dungeon area script (AR0602.BCS) whether you have some special items on you before all items are taken from the PC (and the Irenicus-Cutscene starts.)
This way BGII knows whether you have the pantaloons from BG1. The script goes:
CODE
IF
    Global("BG1Pantaloons","GLOBAL",0)
    PartyHasItem("MISC47") // Goldene Pantalons
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
 SetGlobal("BG1Pantaloons","GLOBAL",1)
 ActionOverride("Picture1",CreateItem("MISC47",0,0,0)) // Goldene Pantalons
 Continue()
END

so you will find the pantaloons in the dungeon then.

This way it's also triggered whether you had some of Drizzt's items of BG1, which leads to a rather unpleasant greeting from the drow in the BGII-encounter... grinteeth.gif

Maybe the last that I wrote could be thought of some kind of "easter egg", at least it's one unexpected (because not connected to a joinable NPC) connection between BG1 and BGII.
Baronius
! Never checked that script. So actually creating the BMU doesn't need cheat. Great. I still don't like the metal unit though.
Thanks for the information!
Takara
Indeed, the BMU provided much amusement. I guess it is an easter egg thinking about it. Keeping all the pantaloons from BG through to TOB isnt something that everybody does. Especially since the golden pantaloons have... not a use... but are involved in a character interaction in Baldur's gate itself.

The rumoured one I heard of, but never really found out about is one in watchers keep. At some point; I think it was when you take over the skeletal fighter in the text type adventure bit; you can hit some key or other and get a picture of the BG2 development team. Never found out if it was real or not though.

Edit:

I've found out what the Watcher's keep one was.

When you go to take the spirit test at the final seal, you get to take over the skeletal warrior. When you click on the alter, you lose control of your character, and get transported to the text adventure,

Now here's the really tricky bit. As soon as you click on the altar, you literally have a split second before you lose control of your character, In that split second, you have to hit the pause key. Then, open up the map. When you do, instead of seeing the map, you will get a picture of the TOB development team. It's quite a fun pic. smile.gif
jastey
Ah! Thanks for the information, Akara. Have to try that one in the next game, too! tongue.gif
Klorox
QUOTE(Takara @ Dec 2 2004, 06:09 PM) *
I've found out what the Watcher's keep one was.

When you go to take the spirit test at the final seal, you get to take over the skeletal warrior. When you click on the alter, you lose control of your character, and get transported to the text adventure,

Now here's the really tricky bit. As soon as you click on the altar, you literally have a split second before you lose control of your character, In that split second, you have to hit the pause key. Then, open up the map. When you do, instead of seeing the map, you will get a picture of the TOB development team. It's quite a fun pic. smile.gif

That is really, really neat! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.