Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Universal Clear Fog of War
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > The Gathering Hall
Hoppy
I have released a small, uhhh, tiny work that is based on hildskialf's old Clear Fog of War mod. The old version appended area scripts and some areas already did this in some vanilla game areas. The drawback with this is not every area has a script or modded areas with scripts weren't affected. I modified the code to work with party AI and explore any area and the bonus here is it will work for any modded area.

For now it works just for BG2 type games, mods, TC's and Baldur's Gate Trilogy but I am working on making it compatible with other IE games as well. The only drawback with my addition is that it may not work for cutscene mode that transports the party to a new area.

To some this may be a cheat but I always played most of my BG2 games and mods with hlid's CFOW as I do not like the black fog and I enjoy seeing the full area scenery.

Here is the link and I appreciate any feedback or criticism.

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=43845

Cheers,

Hoppy
thick3
Would this work with Improved Anvil, somebody test it.
thick3
I'm running a 32" LCD @ 1080p, and the FoG of War looks kinda nasty, maybe somebody releases and extended Fog of War mod, where the clear area is much larger :/
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(thick3 @ Feb 17 2010, 04:55 AM) *
Would this work with Improved Anvil, somebody test it.
It will work in all the original game areas, as long as their area name consists of arxxxx where the x's are numbers...

QUOTE(thick3 @ Feb 17 2010, 06:11 AM) *
I'm running a 32" LCD @ 1080p, and the FoG of War looks kinda nasty, maybe somebody releases and extended Fog of War mod, where the clear area is much larger :/
Hmm, are you sure the problem is not the graphic card? Help for those. And what's so nasty about it?
Now, it's not really easy to get the visibility to be extra large as you would need to use creatures to see everything, and that's not really doable.
thick3
The problem is I'm running 1920x1080, lots of screen real estate=lots of fog
Good thing I didn't go for a a 30" Dell@2560x1600 smile.gif
Hoppy
The original clear fog of war would only work with regular game areas, if they have a script. With other mods, like IA for instance, other area names may be used with different prefixes other than ARxxx so the original mod will not touch new modded areas whether they contain a script or not.

My version uses a trigger and action within players' script(s) that will clear the fog of war so the area looks clean (no blacked out parts) after the party enters the area. It will work with any mod areas and is probably compatible with just about everything and the bonus is that you won't have some areas unaffected by the action. It will do it for all of them, major and minor.

I think Jarno was right about certain graphics cards making the fog of war appear "blocky" in IE games. This will surely remove the blackness but you will still see a "blocky" texture with the lighter fog which is the line of sight. This mod doesn't do anything about the line of sight texture, removal or otherwise.
thick3
Ok the line of sight is what I meant, in Athakatla for example there is no fog of war, just LoS, on a 32" screen it just doesn't look good. Somebody should make an extended LoS mod smile.gif
Hoppy
I think the LoS can be tweaked as far as distance but has to be a .exe tweak I think.

If your LoS looks jagged or blocky, then it has more to do with your graphics settings. Most newer NVidia cards do this and you have to play with the Card settings for running BGMain.exe and also experimenting with the game config. This might help you out if that is the case.

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/30840-ie-ga...post__p__366546

EDIT: Ahhh, OK I reread you have a 32" screen as that will show som much more land and thus too much of the distance cut-off. Taimon was working on some tweaks but has stopped for little while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.