Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying out Spellpack and Spell Revisions together, some questions
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate II > Lost Crossroads
Keyser
I considered just PM'ing this, but others checking in might benefit from any answers here, so I'll just ask here.

First, I'd like to express my thanks to Galactygon for creating this mod. I frequently find myself wishing for more AD&D spells like Moment and Permanency, and wonder why Dimension Door didn't make it into in the game as a PC usable spell (since the NPCs certainly have no qualms using it). You've greatly expanded my play experience and enjoyment of the game, and for that I am thankful.

I'm about to attempt a rather ambitious install, and in it, I'd like to install Spellpack over the top of Spell Revisions. I, of course, realize that they are not intended to be used together, or tested together and that there's really no guarantee that I won't see issues, but I'm willing to give it a go anyway. I intend to use Spell Revisions as a base because it's interpretations and rules are better than the vanilla defaults (Goodberry only restores 1hp and consumes a combat action? Are you kidding me?), then allow Spellpack to overwrite it.
  • I was wondering if there was any modification I could do (to a .tp file or something perhaps?) that would allow me to choose which spells for Spellpack *not* to overwrite, so that I can use the Spell Revisions interpretation of those spells. Is this going to create some kind of foreseeable irreconcilable conflict between the two?
  • Can you think of any recommendations of spells *not* to install in a Megamod installation? I'm aware of Faerie Fire (the wonky behavior it creates with Rogue Rebalancing's Shadow Thief Improvements- I'll install it, but avoid using it), Oracle (because minor mages in SCSII seem to love it), and Chaos (the latter because of Leomar's thread here).
  • Also, I'm a little concerned about graphics performance using the mod along with SCSII. As it is, SCSII creates a fair bit of slow-down as it is (normally just at the start of battles as it sorts out enemy AI, and whenever there is a significant amount of casters on-screen: a couple of the Drow fights in the Underdark, and House Jaellat are perfect examples) because of all the complex scripts going on. Is using this mod along with SCSII going to cause my computer to wave the white flag?

I'll try the Permanency spell if I can, and let you know how it goes, provided it doesn't replace anything important. I wish I could say the same for Persistence, but I need my Spell Sequencer too much with SCSII installed.
Galactygon
QUOTE(Keyser @ Sep 1 2009, 03:06 PM) *
I considered just PM'ing this, but others checking in might benefit from any answers here, so I'll just ask here.

Sorry for not reading this earlier, I haven't noticed this thread until today.

First, I'd like to express my thanks to Galactygon for creating this mod. I frequently find myself wishing for more AD&D spells like Moment and Permanency, and wonder why Dimension Door didn't make it into in the game as a PC usable spell (since the NPCs certainly have no qualms using it). You've greatly expanded my play experience and enjoyment of the game, and for that I am thankful.

Thanks for the compliments, I hope you will enjoy the spells.

I'm about to attempt a rather ambitious install, and in it, I'd like to install Spellpack over the top of Spell Revisions. I, of course, realize that they are not intended to be used together, or tested together and that there's really no guarantee that I won't see issues, but I'm willing to give it a go anyway. I intend to use Spell Revisions as a base because it's interpretations and rules are better than the vanilla defaults (Goodberry only restores 1hp and consumes a combat action? Are you kidding me?), then allow Spellpack to overwrite it.
  • I was wondering if there was any modification I could do (to a .tp file or something perhaps?) that would allow me to choose which spells for Spellpack *not* to overwrite, so that I can use the Spell Revisions interpretation of those spells. Is this going to create some kind of foreseeable irreconcilable conflict between the two?

SpellPack should work fine with SR, provided you install the spells you want last. If the way I group the spells in components does not suit your taste, you can go in and edit the .tp2 file, and unless you have specific spells in mind, I can't explain how to do it for each individual spell.

• Can you think of any recommendations of spells *not* to install in a Megamod installation? I'm aware of Faerie Fire (the wonky behavior it creates with Rogue Rebalancing's Shadow Thief Improvements- I'll install it, but avoid using it), Oracle (because minor mages in SCSII seem to love it), and Chaos (the latter because of Leomar's thread here).

• The spells you ought to avoid are those that replace existing ones with brand new ones.

Faerie Fire is wonky already in vanilla, so you will not be loosing much by installing Faerie Fire. I've developed a way around this without adding extra stats to the STATS.ids, but is not included in the newest version of DS.

Chaos works fine for me, and should work with SR. The only way creatures will randomly disappear on some installs is if opcode 151 is bogus in the .exe.

• Also, I'm a little concerned about graphics performance using the mod along with SCSII. As it is, SCSII creates a fair bit of slow-down as it is (normally just at the start of battles as it sorts out enemy AI, and whenever there is a significant amount of casters on-screen: a couple of the Drow fights in the Underdark, and House Jaellat are perfect examples) because of all the complex scripts going on. Is using this mod along with SCSII going to cause my computer to wave the white flag?

• The most I can say is disable brightening for graphics, and you should be okay. I don't know the limits of the game, so I can't say anything more.

I've heard newer versions of SCSII speed up the game to some degree.

I'll try the Permanency spell if I can, and let you know how it goes, provided it doesn't replace anything important. I wish I could say the same for Persistence, but I need my Spell Sequencer too much with SCSII installed.

It replaces Improved Mantle, and SCSII makes use of that spell, so my answer is try at your own risk.

-Galactygon
    This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
    Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.