Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tu tutu, or not tu tutu?
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Gaming discussion, D&D, screenshots > Baldur's Gate and TotSC
Takara
This mod is definately a fantastic mod. Allowing people to play BG in an updated engine, and use the kit system and everything. But do you still use it?

Personally, I dont know why, but I just love playing BG in it's original glory. Sure it might be great in a better engine, but there's something about BG that I feel the need to play it as it was made.

I dont have any problems with the smaller resolution, blockier environments etc etc. To me, it's part of it's charm. I bought the game soon after it was first released, and played it so many times before BG2 was ever released. The memories are still grand, and just playing the intro teleports me back in time almost. The first 20 mins of the game can take some getting used to. Especially since I'm used to the look of BG2 and IWD2 etc. But after you readjust yourself, I honestly dont notice the older look. I fly through the game and just love it.

So, is there anyone else that still loves playing it as nature intended? Or does everyone now use tutu to play it with a better look?
Ragnar
I think that BG looks fine without it but the only reason I use it for is the BG1 npc project, it just adds what BG sorely needs. The banters, quests and injections that made BG2 so great.
Baronius
Most people will laugh at me but somehow I like the graphics of BG1 better. BG2 has more effects, monumental things and so on but simply BG1 is better for me. (I think BG1 is the best computer game ever, by the way.)
Of course I make my mods Tutu-compatible if possible, since many players like BG1Tutu. (And I also have nothing against it, in fact I find it a very excellent work in technical respect)
Takara
Well they'd have to laugh at us both B. Hmm... perhaps we can find ourselves an army of BG original look enthusiasts and take over the asylum! ph34r.gif
jastey
QUOTE(Ragnar @ Nov 23 2004, 12:14 AM)
I use it for is the BG1 npc project, it just adds what BG sorely needs. The banters, quests and injections that made BG2 so great.

Same for me.

somehow I like the graphics of BG1 better

Same for me.

We are not allone!... tongue.gif
Andyr
I play Tutu more than I play BGII these days.
Apeman
Well lately I've been playing the game with tutu exclusively.

I played the original baldur's gate more than ten times before getting into baldur's gate II and yet I really like tutu. I guess because it takes both games best parts and put them in one. Baldur's Gate the game and BGII's resolution. The higher resolutions are the main reason for me. I always hated the fact that BGII hasn't got any large outdoor areas with lots of little quests. With tutu these outdoor regions are enhanced so are the spell effects.

The disadvantages such as overpowering kits and familiars and sorcerers are easily avoided.

And the BGNPC project only runs in Tutu and the mod so far is really good.
Salk
I personally agree with Apeman saying that my reason to play TotSC with TuTu is that I do believe that the best qualities of TotSC and ToB can merge into a new, revitalized adventure.

I do understand Baronius' point though. All too well. There has been a time where I did refuse to even try TuTu. Then Domi made me change my mind wub.gif although it was not for the reason she hoped...

Of TuTu, I do love the higher resolution (which doesn't actually change the graphic itself - it just makes it neater...) and the Kits introduction. Yes! Because the kits can be extremely funny to play from level 1. Something that can't be done with BG 2 where you are already at a higher level.

Not to mention that when you are at the lowest level, everything is funnier for sure. You must often rely on your guts to approach different situations. I have always found the best metagaming when I was leading a party at the first levels.

Then too much comes. Too many different powers and spells...I don't know if you guys understand what I mean...

Of TotSC I simply loved the game. Since I am not at all interested in banters, TotSC is the ultimate RPG for me. The only RPG I played which is plot-wise way superior (but I never managed to finish it because I hated how the game worked) and deep in every aspect was Vagrant Story. A real masterpiece in that sense...
icelus
With the BG1 GUI by ladejarl and Lightspeed's graphic fixes, the argument that BG1's graphics are better than Tutu's is pretty much void.
Baronius
What I like in Tutu is the quality of area graphics. All other features of
the graphics (even some animations) are much better in BG1 (e.g. the GUI of BG2 is too kitsch).
A summary of differences between BG2 and BG can be found here:
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/Tutorials/bg1vsbg2.php
Considering that Tutu uses BG2, many parts of the aforementioned article apply to Tutu as well.
Domi
Not sure why this thread got ressurected yet again, after like a year, but since my name was invoked.

No, Salk, I do not have an alterior motive of 'pushing' my mod in recommending TUTU over Trilogy, unless the player specifically and above all wants the Candlekeep to Pocket Plane Express. In fact, I am skirtish of praise given to the mod lately, since it seems to invite unwanted attention. I'd rather the mod speaks directly to the player and for itself. Like TUTU.

I believe that BG1TUTU, irregardless the modding politics, irregardless the personalities involved in creating it, is the single best mod created by the modding community. It is daring and complete in its purpose. It's a flawless concept and dedicated execution.

BG1+TUTU+BG1NPC, imo is the best game I have ever played. Not only because it's mind-blowingly good, but because it is an example of successful symbiosis between the commercial game and user-made add-ons, ie mods.
icelus
QUOTE(Baronius @ Aug 18 2005, 08:57 AM)
All other features of
the graphics (even some animations) are much better in BG1 (e.g. the GUI of BG2 is too kitsch).

As I stated in my post directly above yours, Lightspeed's One Pixel Productions graphics fix mod and Ladejarl's BG1 GUI take care of the bulk of the discrepancies.
Salk
QUOTE(Domi @ Aug 18 2005, 02:55 PM)
No, Salk, I do not have an alterior motive of 'pushing' my mod in recommending TUTU over Trilogy, unless the player specifically and above all wants the Candlekeep to Pocket Plane Express. In fact, I am skirtish of praise given to the mod lately, since it seems to invite unwanted attention. I'd rather the mod speaks directly to the player and for itself. Like TUTU.

I believe we have a misunderstanding here, Domi...I meant to simply thank you for suggesting me, in the past, to give a chance to TuTu.

I had no intention to even ever load it once on my PC and instead I did it a couple of weeks after our discussion...

What I meant to add was that I didn't actually find myself enthusiast of TuTu for your same reasons but mostly for the rules/graphical enhancements.

TuTu allows the introduction of a new level of NPC interaction and this is one of the qualities of TuTu many people care the most for. And I respect it. Not my case though...Not today...

Who knows ? Perhaps one day I might really try and experience a deeper TuTu gaming session setting my mind to wanting to "know" the NPCs a little better...In that case, BG1NPC won't surely miss next to my favourite Mods as I read many, many positive and enthusiastic comments about it...At the moment, what I care most for is to see these following Mods to be released or made compatible with TuTu before I play: Baronius' Superstitions Mod, BG1 Quest Pack (and it's gonna take some time), Virtue for TuTu, BG1 and BG2 Fixpacks, BG1 Unfinished Business but mostly Echon's Fields of the Dead...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.