Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a bit of spellpack beta 5 feedback
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate II > Lost Crossroads
erik
I've been having fun with the SpellPack beta 5 lately, and seem to have noticed a few bugs...

1) The Fireball-and-friends component fails to install if the Web-and-friends component isn't installed.
2) Cloudkill disappears after one round.
3) The Chromatic Orb projectile has a cyan square around it.
4) Various fire damage spells use "magical fire" damage type, which crashes the game here if several creatures are killed by that type of damage at once. Fireballing a summoned horde of skeletons is a sure way to trigger it.
5) Melf's Acid Arrow is target:self, which hurts!

The good: (the great majority!)
- Lots of very nice graphics and effects (incendiary cloud, mordenkainen's sword, chain lightning...)
- Animate your very own horde of skeletal minions

thumb.gif
Galactygon
QUOTE(erik @ Nov 30 2008, 03:24 AM) *
1) The Fireball-and-friends component fails to install if the Web-and-friends component isn't installed.

Typo in the .tp2 fixed. This block of code (open and search with any text editor) :
CODE
COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI317.spl~ ~override~
          ~SPWI315A.spl~ ~override~
          ~WEB.spl~ ~override~
    SPRINT projectile_file "LC_TRAV5"
    LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~ADD_PROJECTILE_FILENAME_SPL~

Should become this:
CODE
COPY_EXISTING ~SPWI317.spl~ ~override~
          ~SPWI315A.spl~ ~override~
    SPRINT projectile_file "LC_TRAV5"
    LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~ADD_PROJECTILE_FILENAME_SPL~

2) Cloudkill disappears after one round.

I might have left out a few extension headers out of lazyness, and thought it would work. Will check.

3) The Chromatic Orb projectile has a cyan square around it.

Will fix.

4) Various fire damage spells use "magical fire" damage type, which crashes the game here if several creatures are killed by that type of damage at once. Fireballing a summoned horde of skeletons is a sure way to trigger it.

This is intentional; I have introduced magical fire to the game. I also introduced a workaround against the well known crash by setting the minimum hit points of the creatures to 1 for a split second, increasing them by 59, and then power word killing them.

It works wonders, and so far you are the first one to report anything like this.

But maybe I missed something. Which spells cause the game to crash?

This is intentional; Melf's Acid Arrow creates a throwable arrow in your inventory you can give to other characters. The AI will continue to use the original version of the spell simply because of compatibility and playability.

The good: (the great majority!)
- Lots of very nice graphics and effects (incendiary cloud, mordenkainen's sword, chain lightning...)
- Animate your very own horde of skeletal minions

Thanks. smile.gif

-Galactygon
erik

QUOTE(Galactygon @ Dec 14 2008, 06:10 PM) *
But maybe I missed something. Which spells cause the game to crash?

Definitely Fireball. Only when I kill several creatures at once. Not quite sure if I managed to trigger it with any other spells, incendiary cloud worked fine, I think.

Batch changing all magical fire damage to fire allowed everything to work just fine.

QUOTE(Galactygon @ Dec 14 2008, 06:10 PM) *
This is intentional; Melf's Acid Arrow creates a throwable arrow in your inventory you can give to other characters. The AI will continue to use the original version of the spell simply because of compatibility and playability.

Hmm. But I cast it myself and got hurt - something went wrong? Or is it "throw it at once or get hurt"? Perhaps a savegame/spell memorization issue, will recheck.

BTW, Death Fog is real scary now. Good work.

-erik
Galactygon
This sounds like an offbeat suggestion, but maybe you should restart your machine. Years ago, when I had an older machine, I noticed some things started working only after a restart.

QUOTE(erik @ Dec 14 2008, 09:28 PM) *
Definitely Fireball. Only when I kill several creatures at once. Not quite sure if I managed to trigger it with any other spells, incendiary cloud worked fine, I think.

Incendiary Cloud uses the same magical fire trick as fireball - so if one works, the other should as well.

Hmm. But I cast it myself and got hurt - something went wrong? Or is it "throw it at once or get hurt"? Perhaps a savegame/spell memorization issue, will recheck.

It's not supposed to happen that way, I will look into it.

QUOTE(erik @ Dec 14 2008, 09:28 PM) *
BTW, Death Fog is real scary now. Good work.

Thanks, solid, as per AD&D.

-Galactygon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.