Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Announcing Cursed Items Revision!
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > Small mods, tweaks and fixes
Pages: 1, 2
Salk
Hello people!

Here I have the pleasure of introducing this tiny Mod of mine for Baldur's Gate Trilogy, (Easy)TuTu and Baldur's Gate 2.
(downloadable here)

Its scope is extremely limited but I believe it extends and improves Bioware's take on available cursed items in the game.

Since I have no know-how, I didn't code it myself but rather had two dear, kind and skilled people do it for me: one is Nythrun and the other prefers to remain anonymous.

I am not giving away details because it's up to the player to find out what really happens. There is a readme file in the archive but it won't unveil much more... happy.gif

Just do not expect anything big. I want to repeat again that this Mod has a very minor impact.

It was funny to create Cursed Items Revision and I hope it will a bit funny to play it too.

Thanks!
melkor_morgoth75
U should add something mate! biggrin.gif

Are the "common" cursed item changed upon identification? It would be cool if u believe they are "something" but then .... u realize it's too late tongue.gif

mm75
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(melkor_morgoth75 @ Nov 24 2008, 04:33 PM) *
Are the "common" cursed item changed upon identification? It would be cool if u believe they are "something" but then .... u realize it's too late tongue.gif
mm75
Then why don't you try one of the new items... happy.gif biggrin.gif
Salk
There is only one way to check them out and it is just what Jarno said... cool.gif

However, I am planning something different for version 2 (if it's codable).
Salk
There should be soon a newer version available that is going to present a rather major structural change.

The next version will be made compatible also with BG2 although the recommended platform is still BGT.
Salk
I have sent for uploading version 2.0.

The changes log:

- Version 2:

Major conceptual change
Fixed a typo in .tp2 code
Added BG2 compatibility
Updated to WeiDU 210
Minor changes to readme file

Enjoy! wink.gif
Ascension64
May I ask what is the 'major conceptual change'?
Salk
It would really spoil it.

But it has nothing to do with compatibility with BGT, if that's what worries you... wub.gif
melkor_morgoth75
Where can we find the v2 version Salk?

mm75
Salk
Version 2 has been uploaded here at The Dragon's Hoard!
Salk
We are working on version 3 which will sport a new component: The Stone of Recall.

Those who played Neverwinter Night might remember its mechanic. It will be very similar in our case.

I decided to make it an optional component because some people might believe it highly exploitable, despite its drawback.
Salk
Cursed Items version 3 is ready!

I have sent the file for hosting and should be available for downloading in the next few days!

Enjoy! cool.gif
Salk
Some more in-depth testing has revealed so far a couple of bugs. dry.gif

They will be addressed in version 3.1.
Salk
Version3.1 will be out as soon as the french translator is ready.
Graoumf
Yep, it will be soon! Sorry for the delay. sad.gif
Salk
No need to say sorry!

You were very quick and I am very grateful!

The file is in the hands of Baronius and will be uploaded soon!

New in 3.1 (from readme):

- Version 3.1: Fixed three bugs in .tp2 code
Updated compatibility section
Minor dialogue tweak

Thanks! thumb.gif
Baronius
The latest version of Cursed Items Revision is now available on the Dragon's Hoard Download Center (DHDC)!
White Agnus
Hi,
Jarl made a german translation of Cursed Item Revisions. smile.gif
You can download it here: http://whiteagnus.bplaced.net/filemanager/...ursed_items.rar

Regards
White Agnus
Chaplain
Heya biggrin.gif

Since the thread appears to not disclose too many spoilers, lemme just use this spoiler tag for this query tongue.gif

SPOILER!
I see that Cursed Items removes the "cursed" flag from many items. If this is conceptually incompatible with the item changes this mod introduces, please forgive me

But the ease of equip-unequipping seemingly "cursed" items with potentially harmful and unwanted modifiers just doesn't click. Not to mention, it makes the "Remove Curse" spell redundant.

I was just wondering if I could just get the cursed effect by just removing the lines LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO fj_hide_cursed_state from the .tp2 before installing the mod

Besides, one of the item descriptions (from Commander Brage's Cursed 2-Handed Berserker Sword) says,"No sane person would ever want to part from such a charming weapon once it has been wielded". Doesn't that imply cursed-ness??

Thanks,
Lol

(man, the sig kinda gives it away don't it?? tongue.gif)
Salk
Chaplain,

I understand your concern for this change I introduced (and thanks for hiding so well the spoiler) but, as you have suspected, reverting back to the former, original situation goes against the vision I have for this mod.

I might tell you more via PM, if you so like.
Salk
Cursed Items Revision hits 3.2!

Few minor corrections/changes have been made to avoid one rather funny (but inconsistent) situation and remove possible duplications for one ring.

The new version should be available at The Dargon's Hoard soon enough, as usual.
Salk
Thanks to Baronius, the new version is now up and running! happy.gif
Chaplain
Ah, that I understand laugh.gif Ok, maybe it'll be better to do this via pm. The thing is, I agree with all the changes this mod brings, except that one tongue.gif So, I was wondering whether I could keep all the item changes etc, while leaving that change as it was (lol, this can get very confusing wacko.gif)

Anyway, I think I should probably make a public pm request here (I'm sorry if there's someplace else where this should be done) tongue.gif Ok, so, admins of the BWL, this is Chaplain (aka Lollorian from SHS) making a formal request to unlock my pm system, so that I may continue this (spoiler-ish) discussion with Salk via a non-spoilery channel happy.gif

(lol, put in some tribal drums and chanting and you'll get a pretty scary request biggrin.gif)

Cheers,
Lol
Leomar
QUOTE(White Agnus @ Oct 24 2009, 03:39 PM) *
Hi,
Jarl made a german translation of Cursed Item Revisions. smile.gif
You can download it here: http://whiteagnus.bplaced.net/filemanager/...ursed_items.rar

Regards
White Agnus

It looks like you forgot to include the posted German translation of Jarl in the new CIR version.

Greetings Leomar
Salk
Leomar,

the german translation will be included in the next version. Version 3.2 has been ready before the german translation was made available.

But I thank Jarl for his job done on this.

Chaplain,

I got your PM. I will reply to it soon. Thanks for your feedback.
Leomar
QUOTE(Salk @ Nov 22 2009, 03:49 PM) *
Leomar,

the german translation will be included in the next version. Version 3.2 has been ready before the german translation was made available.

But I thank Jarl for his job done on this.

All right, thanks for the information. smile.gif

Greetings Leomar
Kwiat_W
Small, yet very interesting mod. Thank you.
Salk
QUOTE(Kwiat_W @ Dec 16 2009, 01:05 AM) *
Small, yet very interesting mod. Thank you.

My pleasure! smile.gif
Salk
Hello!

I need a line translated into german and french.

@10002 = ~For compatibility reasons, it is necessary that you install Item Revisions AFTER Cursed Items Revisions! Run this installer again after having uninstalled Item Revisions~

Thanks!
Graoumf
Hello, here is the french one (always by Le Marquis):

@10002 = ~Pour des raisons de compatibilite, il est necessaire d'installer le mod Item Revisions APRES Cursed Items Revisions ! Executer a nouveau le programme d'installation apres avoir desinstalle Item Revisions.~
Salk
QUOTE(Graoumf @ Jan 30 2010, 01:24 AM) *
Hello, here is the french one (always by Le Marquis):

@10002 = ~Pour des raisons de compatibilite, il est necessaire d'installer le mod Item Revisions APRES Cursed Items Revisions ! Executer a nouveau le programme d'installation apres avoir desinstalle Item Revisions.~

Thank you!

Can I take some more ofLe Marquis' time to ask also to translate the following lines so that I can update the french readme.txt?

- Version 3.3: Added german translation
Added compatibility check for Item Revisions

- Version 3.2: Minor changes to a couple of rings
Unequipped one of the cursed items and moved it to inventory instead

Cheers! thumb.gif
Graoumf
Sure, here it is:

- Version 3.3 : Ajout de la traduction en allemand.
Ajout d'un test de compatibilité avec le mod Item Revisions.

- Version 3.2 : Changements mineurs pour deux anneaux.
L'un des objets maudits a été déséquipé, et mis dans l'inventaire à la place.
Leomar
Here is the German one:

CODE
@10002 = ~Aus Gruenden der Kompatibilitaet ist es notwendig, das Ihr "Item Revisions" NACH "Cursed Items Revision" installiert! Startet dieses Installationsprogramm erneut, nachdem Ihr "Item Revisions" deinstalliert habt.~

Greetings Leomar
Salk
Thanks!

- Version 3.3: Added german translation
Added compatibility check for Item Revisions

Version 3.3 should be uploaded soon!
Salk
Version 3.3 is out!

Thanks go to Baronius, as usual!
Leomar
Now, with the v3.3 the main component should be installed before Item Revisions:

CODE
// Main Component
// ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEGIN @10000
DESIGNATED 0
REQUIRE_PREDICATE GAME_IS ~bgt tutu tutu_totsc tob soa~ @10001
REQUIRE_PREDICATE NOT MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~item_rev/item_rev.tp2~ 0 @10002

There is no update of this in the readme (you find there the old informations about it).

But we have the following in the readme:
* Install Unique Artifacts BEFORE Cursed Items Revision
* Install BG1 Unfinished Business BEFORE Cursed Items Revision
And now,
* Install Item Revisions AFTER Cursed Items Revision

With that dependency we have a big problem, because Item Revisions main component must be installed BEFORE "Unique Artifacts" and BEFORE "BG1 Unfinished Business".

How should we handle your mod in an installation order?

1) Item Revisions
2) BG1 Unfinished Business
3) Unique Artifacts

?) Cursed Items Revision

Greetings Leomar
Salk
Hello, Leomar!

I understand the problem here and the only solution I have is to pull the compatibility check. I will send for version 3.4 so that things will be taken back to the original state.

Sorry about that.
Leomar
QUOTE(Salk @ Feb 28 2010, 05:06 PM) *
I understand the problem here and the only solution I have is to pull the compatibility check. I will send for version 3.4 so that things will be taken back to the original state.

Sorry about that.

No problem and thanks for solving the problem. smile.gif

One question, we install "Item Revisons" at two places in an installation order; the main components very early and the global changes later. Should we install "Cursed Items Revision" before or after the global changes of "Item Revisions"? What is your recommendation?

Greetings Leomar
Salk
QUOTE(Leomar @ Mar 3 2010, 05:46 AM) *
QUOTE(Salk @ Feb 28 2010, 05:06 PM) *

Sorry about that.

No problem and thanks for solving the problem. smile.gif

One question, we install "Item Revisons" at two places in an installation order; the main components very early and the global changes later. Should we install "Cursed Items Revision" before or after the global changes of "Item Revisions"? What is your recommendation?

Greetings Leomar

It doesn't really matter. smile.gif
Mike1072
QUOTE(Salk @ Mar 3 2010, 07:43 PM) *

Greetings Leomar

Since the mod overwrites item descriptions, it should be installed before things that patch those descriptions (like certain IR and Tweak Pack components).

Salk, you have a couple choices for dealing with IR's main component if you want to make the mods compatible:
  1. Take into account abilities that have been changed by IR when you adjust items
  2. Override IR's cursed items with yours by overwriting the .itm files instead of patching them
Deciding between the two will depend on whether or not you want your mod to behave differently when IR is installed.
Demivrgvs
QUOTE(Mike1072 @ Mar 5 2010, 09:43 AM) *
QUOTE(Salk @ Mar 3 2010, 07:43 PM) *

Greetings Leomar

Since the mod overwrites item descriptions, it should be installed before things that patch those descriptions (like certain IR and Tweak Pack components).

Salk, you have a couple choices for dealing with IR's main component if you want to make the mods compatible:
  1. Take into account abilities that have been changed by IR when you adjust items
  2. Override IR's cursed items with yours by overwriting the .itm files instead of patching them
Deciding between the two will depend on whether or not you want your mod to behave differently when IR is installed.
Ironically the "problem" is that Salk's mod doesn't overwrite. If it did compatibility would be as easy as installing it after IR, just like Mike suggests. I'm not sure he can go for "take into account abilities that have been changed by IR", but there's a third "solution": we include a check within V3 which makes IR not touch cursed items if his mod is detected.

I don't know which solution is better, though I would have preferred Salk to overwrite IR.
Salk
Since I am not the coder, I cannot really work out an elegant solution here.

So version 3.4 (I have just emailed Baronius with it) will reintroduce the suggested workaround that has been there since the first version.

I am sorry I cannot do better.
Salk
Version 3.4 is out. wink.gif
Tervadh
QUOTE(Demivrgvs @ Mar 5 2010, 09:34 AM) *
I would have preferred Salk to overwrite IR.
Whoa, whoa, one overwriting mod is suggesting another mod should overwrite *it*? What's the modding world come to? I'm lost.
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(Tervadh @ Mar 15 2010, 07:37 AM) *
QUOTE(Demivrgvs @ Mar 5 2010, 09:34 AM) *
I would have preferred Salk to overwrite IR.
Whoa, whoa, one overwriting mod is suggesting another mod should overwrite *it*? What's the modding world come to? I'm lost.
Well, if you wish to patch and get the original result, you have got to patch the original content and thus overwrite it, or make an exception and not patch at all... in this case the IR should offer to do both... as it's the larger mod if it wishes to be 'compatible', while this mod is specialized... yeah, all the mods today would need more components.
Salk
Version 3.5 will be soon available for download from The Dragon's Hoard.

I've corrected a couple of small typos and added a russian translation.
Keldor
But what does this mod actually do? Where's the ReadMe? N.B. I don't want to have to download the mod just to read the ReadMe.
Salk
Sorry for the late reply.

The readme is in the archive.

I expect interested people to be willing to bear the burden of downloading a 1Mb mod in order to find out.
Salk
After a long time, I will update this modification to finally become fully compatible with Item Revisions (overriding its changes where necessary) so that the user won't have to meddle with manually meddling with files.
Salk
New version (3.7) is out!

Change Log:

- Amendment to the Identify spell description
- Compatibility with Item Revisions no longer requires manual adjustments
- Minor text changes for two items
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.