Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Area of Effect
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate II > Lost Crossroads
Chev
I am starting a new play though with Spellpack 5. The Entangle now has a an area of effect of 40' (20' in the original game). This seem too big to me. I think a smaller area of effect or not effecting the party. If a Druid can control plants why would they want to entangle they're party? I know things can only be done as a radius with the game, but think of an enemy effect only spell as one that is cast in a shape that matches where the enemies are standing.

This brings up what I have thought of as a high level Fireball spell or a Fireball spell cast at high level. Think of a Mage of great skill casting a fire ball that is not a ball, but in a shape and size needed at the time to only get enemies. How about a high level Fireball spell that would do the same damage type/amount but only effects enemies?
plainab
I don't know if it would be possible or even work, but you might be able to get a spell that casts the fireball and casts immunity to fire on party members within a certain range for a short duration.
Galactygon
QUOTE(Chev @ Sep 22 2008, 11:58 AM) *
I am starting a new play though with Spellpack 5. The Entangle now has a an area of effect of 40' (20' in the original game). This seem too big to me. I think a smaller area of effect or not effecting the party. If a Druid can control plants why would they want to entangle they're party? I know things can only be done as a radius with the game, but think of an enemy effect only spell as one that is cast in a shape that matches where the enemies are standing.

The area of effect is not supposed to be that big, this is an oversight I will correct. Thanks for pointing that out. In AD&D, it is a 40-foot cube which roughly translates to a radius of 25 feet.

About party-friendly area of effect and saving throws: causing nonintelligent plants to entangle and entwine everything in their area of effect is one thing. But charming them to exclude certain creatures is another. The 7th level wizard spell, Charm Plants does exactly that; it is a carbon copy of entangle with the difference that it does not affect the party and does not account for saving throws.

This is enough to make a 1st level spell into a 7th level spell. Think of all the stuff you could do with Charm Plants.

QUOTE(Chev @ Sep 22 2008, 11:58 AM) *
This brings up what I have thought of as a high level Fireball spell or a Fireball spell cast at high level. Think of a Mage of great skill casting a fire ball that is not a ball, but in a shape and size needed at the time to only get enemies. How about a high level Fireball spell that would do the same damage type/amount but only effects enemies?

Sounds like a fine idea, and I would be willing to do it if not for the limit on the number of spells that appear in the spell book and the spell selection screen for sorcerers/mages/bards (the number is 24). As of now, I have more than enough to fill the slots.

QUOTE(plainab @ Sep 23 2008, 12:01 AM) *
I don't know if it would be possible or even work, but you might be able to get a spell that casts the fireball and casts immunity to fire on party members within a certain range for a short duration.

You will have to account for what happens if the spell is cast during a time stop; the duration will run out but the fireball will hang for some time. It is still possible, and you will have to do it through a combination of .spl files. The spell that fires the projectile will cast another subspell on each of the targets, where the first effect in that subspell will protect the entire party from that spell with a duration of 0.

-Galactygon
Ardanis
It's easier - you'd have to use party friendly projectile, like that of Chaos spell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.