Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: here's a story, and it's true
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Belching Dragon Tavern
Kerkes
Anyway, here's what happened to me 8 years ago.
I went on a holiday to Prague with my classmates, to celebrate end of high-school. We stopped in Vienna, at Prater park. My friend and I were hungry, so decided to grab a snack from a fast food stand. We ordered some hot-dogs, and then I went to my other friends who were asking me for some advice on what alchohol/ciggars we should buy. Before that, I went back to the stand and told to my friend at the fast-food stand :"You stay here, and keep an eye on this old idiot (who was working at the fast food stand) not to mess up something with the hot-dogs". Few minutes later, I returned. The "old idiot" looks at me and says in my native language:"Well, boys, are you from Croatia? Me too." My only tought in that moment was "Earth, please do open beneath my feet." I never felt so ashamed in my life.
Sikret
Nice story, Kerkes!

It reminds me of a somewhat similar case I had long ago.

When I was 12 years old, I went with my family to visit a friend of my father. He had a gallery full of old pics. He explianed to us that the photos and paintings in the gallery belonged to historical important people who lived during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Few of them even belonged to 18th century.

One of the pics looked very ridiculous and funny to me (remember that I was only 12). Our host looked at me and said in a kind tone: "If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask, my dear son!"

I said: "Who is this ridiculous man?" and pointed my finger towards the pic.

Our host replied: "He is my father; it's the only family picture I keep in this gallery."
Baronius
It must have been very awkward for both of you. ohmy.gif

I also have a story my father told me. My father and his friend were in Vatican (they were young), listening to the speech of the Pope in Saint Peter's Square. He (my father's friend) wanted himself to be photographed with a priest (he was a big Catholic). He noticed a priest nearby, and addressed him in Hungarian (assuming the priest will know anyway what tourists with a camera want to ask). "Heya my pal', my friend would like to take a photo of me with you". To his great surprise, the priest warmly welcomed him in Hungarian: "I was immersed in the speech of the Pope, and now I hear the language of my homeland, my brother!", and hugged him. Then he hugged my father as well. He was a priest from Hungary, who had been in the Vatican for six months.
Kerkes
I find it interesting how people react so much differently depending on your age. For example, if Sikret was 20 years old then, his host would probably be angry. Since he was 12, he was probably "straight, honest, sweet" and made a good laugh. I'm not sure about that (probably depends on country culture etc.) but age of 12 is like a "line". Once you get past it, people begin to take you more seriously. Even worse, you start to take them more seriously. I think that pic Sikret was reffering to would make everybody laugh if they didn't think it's innapropriate. But then again, I find operas very funny so I might not be the best person to comment on that.

And yeah, the world is a small place.
Baronius
You can never know who understands your language even in a foreign country, so it's good to be careful. Generally, it's good to thoughtful so you don't hurt anyone with your statements.

Once you get past it, people begin to take you more seriously. Even worse, you start to take them more seriously.
Usually, certain things are always expected from a child of a given age. As the child gets older, the number of these things increases -- which is natural, because the child gets more mature, and (in fortunate case) gets education. When a child (or teenager, etc.) says something inappropriate or impolite, its severity/significance really depends on the context and on the content of what he says. A few slip-ups and the temporary problems due to adolescence are natural, and can be distinguished from more permanent things (such as the lack of proper education/upbringing).

And yeah, the world is a small place.

Yes, it is. smile.gif

By the way, if someone might have not realized, the awkwardness in the story I told is the way my father's friend addressed the priest. You don't say "Heya my pal'" to a priest. In its Hungarian form, it isn't particularly rude, but definitely inappropriate and very impolite to address a priest (or any person beside your "pals"), but I'm sure this was obvious.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.