Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tactic of Old Hungarians
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Belching Dragon Tavern
DavidW
QUOTE(Baronius @ Aug 11 2008, 08:42 PM) *
And did they use the same tactic too? smile.gif I.e. attacking (obviously on horses, if someone might not know), then pretending retreat, and while enemies are chasing us, shooting arrows backward (and defeating them). It's hard to estimate (at least for a non-historian like myself) how many "battles" we won with this tactic (we practically pillaged through half Europe), though the German armoured knights taught us a lesson in 955 during the battle of Augsburg (Lechfeld).

It seems to be one of these "natural strategies", actually - the kind of thing that you invent if you've got lots of light cavalry and good archers. The Mongols did it a lot in the 1200s, in Europe and Asia, and basically walked all over the European armies. In fact, I think the same basic technique gets used in tank warfare - both Rommel and George Patton are supposed to have studied Genghis Khan's strategy.
Baronius
Of course, it isn't something unique to Hungarians, but we were a typical example (before the Kingdom was estabilished).

and basically walked all over the European armies

I don't think this is correct, they didn't/couldn't "visit" Western Europe at all, for example.
Sir_Carnifex
I believe the Parthians also used that running away tactic with their horse archers.
Baronius
You are right. It seems that the name "Parthian shot" exactly refers to this tactic.
DavidW
QUOTE(Baronius @ Aug 12 2008, 06:09 PM) *
Of course, it isn't something unique to Hungarians, but we were a typical example (before the Kingdom was estabilished).

and basically walked all over the European armies

I don't think this is correct, they didn't/couldn't "visit" Western Europe at all, for example.

That's true, but there were a couple of western armies that were sent eastward to confront the Mongols and got wiped out. There was a fairly extensive period where western Europe was just waiting for a Mongol invasion, and everyone thought it was the end of the world, etc, etc. It seems to be that the reason they pulled back was the then leader (whose name escapes me, but it was Genghis's successor) died and they had to go back and deal with the succession.

(This is an old lay interest of mine from ten years ago and I'm quoting from memory, so it might all be nonsense.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.