Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New NPC mod in progress
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > The Gathering Hall
Sir_Carnifex
I have begun work on an NPC mod.

He will be a halfling thief. Now, don't start screaming "We have to many thieves already!" I have hardly seen mods that include halfling NPC's (Alora is the only one I know) and I just imagine halflings as being thieves and nothing else. Needless to say, I dislike Mazzy! wink.gif

I'm no artist, but I scraped up this portrait for him. I may want to change it later.

His name is Halbo and he is an over-sized Halfling. He has a tendency to rub other party members the wrong way -- intentionally if he can. Though he has no problems with verbal warfare, he prefers to avoid real battle if possible. He is highly-skilled with a sling (including called shot ability), but at a cost.

He will be available somewhere in the Druid Grove.

His stats are:

STR: 15
DEX: 19
CON: 17
INT: 13
WIS: 8
CHA: 11

Total: 83

For starters, I intend to just make him a basic character. He will have plenty of banters with the other NPCs, plus some interjections. Later I would like to add his own special quest and items.

I'm open to ideas.

I posted a story using Halbo here: Story
Moongaze
Congrats on the start of a new project.
A question, if you don't mind.

What is his alignment?
An "oversized halfling"? A halfling a little taller than most, or a halfling the size of a human? (I certainly don't hope for the latter)
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(Moongaze @ Apr 21 2008, 01:00 AM) *
Congrats on the start of a new project.
A question, if you don't mind.

What is his alignment?

Ah, forgot to put in his alignment. For now, he's at chaotic neutral, although I'm not 100% sure he'll stay that way. It depends on how he develops as I go along.

QUOTE(Moongaze @ Apr 21 2008, 01:00 AM) *
An "oversized halfling"? A halfling a little taller than most, or a halfling the size of a human? (I certainly don't hope for the latter)

Right, he's a large halfling, but still a shorty compared to the humans. Hmm...interesting idea, though...a cross between a fire giant and a halfling... biggrin.gif
Moongaze
Heheheh.
Yes, I was thinking chaotic neutral when I read the first post. happy.gif
Good luck in the development of your character. I'm sure he'll be popular. I agree that halflings, gnomes and dwarves are underrepresented.
Sikret
What's the benefit of 17 score of CON for a thief? He won't gain hp bonus for constitution over 16. I suggest to lower the constitution to 16 and add the extra point to one of his other stats.
Moongaze
Sometimes a character's stats reflect his/her character, regardless of gameplay-usefulness. Not everyone views the game in such a tactic way. happy.gif But you are right about the HP bonusses, of course.
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(Sikret @ Apr 21 2008, 04:02 AM) *
What's the benefit of 17 score of CON for a thief? He won't gain hp bonus for constitution over 16. I suggest to lower the constitution to 16 and add the extra point to one of his other stats.

Originally I had forgotten about that constitution thing, but later I decided to keep it that way for the reasons mentioned by Moongaze. biggrin.gif

If I did anything with that extra point, I'd just get rid of it rather than placing it in another stat.

Thanks for pointing it out anyway. I tend to miss obvious stuff like that sometimes!

Carnifex
Sir_Carnifex
I wasn't satisfied with the original portrait as it didn't reflect my NPC's personality, so I spent a few more hours working on a different one. Here are two versions.

I know that Bioware portrayed halflings as having pointed ears (Montaron, Alora), but I tend imagine them as they are in the Lord of Rings (in which you can't see the ears under the hair and therefore they must look normal biggrin.gif). However, since this is supposed to blend with the BG2 style, perhaps I should modify the ears. Maybe I should swirl the background some, too.

Comments?
Valiant
It isn´t bad at all, but if you want really a perfect one, try visit nwvault.ign.com. Although the site is dedicated to NWN and NWN2, there´s a lot of useful stuff, portraits especially. Just navigate your own via menu on the left side to portrait section and I´m pretty sure you´ll find some that will suit your needs...smile.gif

I usually do this when I´m trying to get some portraits for my NPCs... Either way at least it´s worth viewing.
Sir-Kill
other than he looks to 'nice/good' for a CN character it is a better pic for IE than the last one.
probably not a bad idea to play with the background a bit either.
To me, haflings have always been more related to dwarves or humans than elves, so the ears are fine.
Sir_Carnifex
he looks to 'nice/good' for a CN character
Well, I agree that his wide grin seemed a bit out of place, but I tend not to go along with the idea that evil characters have to look mean, rugged, or ugly, or that good characters have to look angelic (Keldorn certainly doesn't!) with neutral being somewhere between. I think movies have ingrained that in us. blink.gif

I'm trying to give him more of a mischievous look. The edited version is now alongside the first one. His goofy grin has been replaced with a smirk, plus the background is changed. Better, I think, but he still looks "nice". laugh.gif

It isn´t bad at all, but if you want really a perfect one, try visit nwvault.ign.com. Although the site is dedicated to NWN and NWN2, there´s a lot of useful stuff, portraits especially. Just navigate your own via menu on the left side to portrait section and I´m pretty sure you´ll find some that will suit your needs...smile.gif

I looked that over plus a bunch of other sites I found. It's tempting to want to grab a pre-made portrait, but I think that I'd still like to make my own. There's more of a sense of accomplishment that way. Plus, I enjoy the challenge. smile.gif

Thanks for all the input!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.