Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BG1: Baldurdesh Text Update+WeiDU Mods!
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > The Gathering Hall
Salk
Hello! I would just want to know if *every* WeiDU Mod is 100% compatible with the Text Update patch by Baldurdash. I just wonder if the Dialog.tlk file that Baldurdesh modifies to correct inconsistencies is being further modified by the Mods since after any WeiDU mod installation one can read "dialog.tlk created" or something similar...Thanks! ph34r.gif
Rabain
What weidu does is add extra dialog strings to your existing dialog.tlk, it doesn't completly replace the dialog.tlk.

The initial release of the Baldurdash update contained a totally new amended dialog.tlk and i think it is still this way.

Result: Always install the Baldurdash update before any weidu mods. Weidu mods are compatible after that! But note that all weidu mods are not compatible with each other but that is generally to do with other files than the dialog.tlk.

Hope this makes sense!
Salk
Thanks! I thought also that could be the most logical thing. I had always installed Baldurdash Text Update just after the official patches and before Dudleyfixes/tweaks. I had installed the WeiDU mods last. Unfortunately I had had problems with dialogues once (dialogue with the Red Wizards of Thay in Peldvale - I think the place is that -): after the Red Wizard of Thay spoke to me, I found myself with no possible dialogue choices. Some strange error was reported in the dialogue window instead of the continuation of the dialogue itself. Also a name of one of the commoners that gives you important informations both in Beregost and Nashkell had disappeared. I could still start a dialogue at least but I dont know who he is any longer. Most citizens are simply called "Commoner", this one instead comes with a first name which now I had forgotten and cant report since the game's little screwed there. Now BG1 has been uninstalled but I dont plan playing it untill I get my hands on the promising BG1 Quest Pack and perhaps try and understand if others had experienced similar problems with my same kind of installation which I list here:

*Baldur's Gate DVD
*Tales of the Sword Coast
*Bioware's Official Patch for TotSC v.1.5512
*Baldurdash Fix Pack 1.1
*Baldurdash Text Update fot TotSC 1.1
*aVENGER's Racial Traits Fix
*All of Dudleyville's Fixpacks
*Dudleyville's Tweaks
*WeiDU Mod The Vault 4.0
(ATTENTION: this mod overwrites some files of Dudleyville's Tweak which must then be installed again...)
*WeiDU Mod The Grey Clan: Episode 1 V 1.61
*WeiDU Mod Herbs&Potion Add-in V 1.0
*WeiDU Mod BG1: Game-be-gone V 3.0

If someone had played with such configuration, I'd love to exchange feedback. Thanks!
SimDing0
You don't want Game-be-Gone. Trust me. Think about the name a little bit.
Baronius
If you don't like hack&slash, get v1.70 of the Grey Clan (it contains less enemies of the same type in a big area of the mod.) It's up to you though. The more creatures you kill, the more XP you get.

And yeah, keep Sim's advice.
Salk
Oh thanks for the advices,guys! I installed the Mod Game-Be-Gone but I have actually never started playing! As I mentioned, I am waiting for the completition of BG1 Quest Pack happy.gif! I do trust you but I just wonder...why wouldnt I want it ? Is something very bad about this mod ? Thanks again! ph34r.gif
Baronius
I don't want to disappoint you, but BG1QP is in very early stage of development... it might take more than a year to finish it...

Game-be-Gone is a fine work as a mod, and it does exactly what its title says. If you know Dungeon-be-Gone, I think you know what we mean. When you have finished the game though, feel free to install GbG and start a new game.
Salk
I would never be disappointed by people like you who are working for the fun of people like me! So the only thing I can say is: thanks! If the development of this ambitious, marvellous project is gonna take long, I still say "thanks". If you one day would say that you cannot finish the development because of personal problems (no matter what), I still say "thanks" for what you have done untill then! I really admire people like you who can give so much to the community of us RPG fans. Also as I mentioned, BG1 is my favourite RPG for PC and just thinking that there are talented people who can further enhance the already great experience of playing it giving more life to it well...What can I say ? I can just be grateful! wub.gif Thanks,Baronius...
Baronius
Also as I mentioned, BG1 is my favourite RPG for PC
Our taste is similar, in fact identical in this case, then. smile.gif

and just thinking that there are talented people who can further enhance the already great experience of playing it giving more life to it well...What can I say ?

The Black Wyrm was founded to provide a pleasant and effective center for these talented people, providing them safe and high-level technical background. The server of the Black Wyrm can provide a lot of free space to developers -- but this technical background would be very useless without the hard work of talented modders. Modding is fun, and it can't be forced! Similar to art a little bit: if you like doing it, if you enjoy doing it, then the works, the results will be nice and good. Modding is fun I said? Then playing too! The mods are made for you players, and the modders need your feedback. That is at least as important as precise and creative work of modders. The reports, bug reports, opinions and ideas of players are invaluable for the developers.

I really admire people like you who can give so much to the community of us RPG fans.  [..]I can just be grateful! Thanks,Baronius...

smile.gif Thank it to the hard-working modders here... I'm just trying to make sure that everything runs perfectly and without problems. Of course I also develop mods but that is far not as significant at the moment as the work of all those who have chosen Black Wyrm wink.gif

Everyone makes mistakes. We're people, and make mistakes. To assure that Black Wyrm is run without problems, the members of the BW Council, its governing body, try to do their best to keep the good atmosphere and effective work of the website, forums and chat server. I hope we will always be successful in this respect: that's why the Council was formed (and will be expanded) by people who are skilled in modding and/or programming, or versatile and experienced in the area of beta-testing and reviewing.

I hope we'll be able to meet your expectations!
SimDing0
QUOTE(Salk @ Oct 18 2004, 06:39 PM)
Oh thanks for the advices,guys! I installed the Mod Game-Be-Gone but I have actually never started playing! As I mentioned, I am waiting for the completition of BG1 Quest Pack  happy.gif! I do trust you but I just wonder...why wouldnt I want it ? Is something very bad about this mod ? Thanks again!  ph34r.gif

Like I said, think about what the name implies. It is indeed a fine work of a mod to people whose aspirations are to trick others in OMG ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS HAHAHA ways. However, I imagine you actually want to play the game, so I'll cut the crap and say that it makes BG1 skip straight to the end sequence, meaning that you can't play anything.
Salk
Thanks for the answer,Sim! I thought it could be a sort of joke...Too bad! I wont miss it because you know, we players are getting our hands on the greatest and most ambitious mod ever ( cool.gif ) once BG1Questpack will be ready! thumb.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.