Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Party formations
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Gaming discussion, D&D, screenshots > Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal
Ryel ril Ers
I wait for party ideas here. Single and multiplayer too.
If you need some missing member you can also write it.
Ryel ril Ers
QUOTE(Klorox @ Dec 26 2007, 06:18 AM) *
I'm a big fan of small parties that can cover all of the roles needed. My newest venture into this is a party consisting of Anomen (fighting/divine spellcasting), Imoen (thieving, main arcane caster), and a Human Berserker > Mage (fighting spellcaster).

Let me just say that IMO there is two ways an arcane spellcaster can go: You can be an all-out wizard type (Imoen in this party) or a fighter who uses arcane spellcasting to augment their warrior abilities (this is what I intend to do with my Berserker > Mage).

I just don't know when to dual class this character. My choices are between levels 9 and 13. There are pros and cons for each.

If I dual at level 9 I'll have :
3 Rages per day (I think this is enough)
I'll become a "complete character" (Berserker abilities back after dualclassing) at 500,000 XP

If I dual at level 13, I'll have:
4 Rages per day
1/2 extra Attack per Round
I'll become a "complete character" at 2,750,000 XP

I know dual classing at level 13 will end up with a more powerful character in the end, but is it worth the 1,250,000 XP?

Let me know what your experiences tell you. TIA

QUOTE(WizWom @ Jan 1 2008, 12:53 AM) *
with 3 people, the Exp will come fast. Dual later. The Extra fighter HP will be good, and the lower THAC0, too. And, IIRC, simulacrum will lower both classes.

But, you have a mod, then, to allow dualing a Barbarian? It's not standard.

Hi,

@WizWom
Klorox write berserker not barbarian.

@Klorox
Dual at level 9. After level 9 the fighter not get more hit dice only 3 hp. The level 13 version don't have more hp!

The level 13 version not grants stronger characters because you have less spell, and you regain back only the late middle of the game your fighter class, this is lots of time.

The mirror image-stoneskin-improved invisible-prot. from magic weapon-spell immunity divination make you indescruptable fighter and the enemy cannot cast on you single target spell, the contigency on 25% health tenser transformation completely heal you and you transform to a better fighter.

I think the level 9 variant is much better choice in all view.
Ryel ril Ers
QUOTE(Klorox @ Dec 5 2007, 04:31 PM) *
I'm trying to figure out a 3 or 4 person self made party that will do well in all 3 games mentioned above. By that, I mean the same party in each game.

The best I can do is this:

Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger
Halfling Fighter/Thief
Gnome Fighter/Illusionist
Half-Elf Bard

This 4 person party has Cleric and Druid spells covered in the C/R. It has a Mage (multiclassed Illusionist should be good enough), and a backup arcane spellcaster in the Bard. 3 of the 4 can serve as tanks, and the Bard isn't terrible at combat either. The Bard takes some skill responsibility off of the F/T as well as being great with Lore (saving spell slots for more useful things than Identify). In BG2, he can be a Blade (very good at combat), and in IWD1 becomes very powerful with his songs.

Is this the best 4 person party that fits each game?

I'd really like to run the same group through all 3 games, and I'm looking for some continuity. I won't be importing the characters or messing with levels, but I like the idea of having the same group.

TIA

In icewind dale 1 i used:
Dwarf fighter with axe and shield
Elf fighter/druid with spear
Elf fighter/thief with bow (and longsword)
Elf fighter/mage with bow (and 2H sword)

While my dwarf hold the front my druid help him and heal him, and the back line kill everybody. In icewind dale the bow is the ultimate weapon.
Ryel ril Ers
When i arrive to the spellhold with my IA 5 party, i will start a new party and i play two game with the same time.

My idea is:
1) Wild mage
2) Sorcerer
3) Dwarf Barbarian with Axe + Hammer + Short Sword
4) Half-Orc Barbarian or Kensai or Berserker with Halberd + 2H Sword + Staff
5)
a: Berserker(9)->Cleric with Flail+Morning Star/Shield
b: Swashbucker(7)->Cleric with Flail+Shield
6)
a: Gnome Fighter/Thief with Longsword + Club/Scimitar + Dagger
b: Elf Fighter/Thief/Mage with Longsword + Scimitar + Katana
c: Gnome Fighter/Illusionist with same weponry

I don't know what choose to the 4-6 place clearly.
trufa
Either 5a,6a, or 5b,6c

6b will get very slow lvl ups
Ryel ril Ers
The slow level ups not too much disadventage, except because the saves.
I tried once a f/c/m character and he was one of my favorite class. Yes he lose some level against the f/m but he gain a new class what is not that much sacrifice then i choose multi class instead pure or dual class. If i choose multi instead dual and pure my classes has 1/2 xp lose. But if i choose triple instead standard multi i only loose 1/6 xp in my classes. That means only 1-2 level.
That character can fight a bit (with same thaco with a blade but with more attack).
That character can protect himself to be a good tank. He has the same amount spell like the blade. (He cannot use level 9 spells like the bard).
That character is a full qualify thiefe, he early mynear my the traps and locks and once the illusions too. The thief ring from dierdre help a bit on his lowly thief skills.
He is the ultimate swiss army knife. He not better than the blade and not more flexible he is different. (His caster level is really awful.)
He only lose 1-2 level against the F/T and a better race but gain the ability to go to tank. And with 2 Barbarian and 1 Berserker he mustn't be a slayer.

I first think about the F/T first but in that case my group missing the fighter/mage like characters so i miss the perfect tank. The barbarians able to survive long but they nothing like a f/m types, but with assasination (and whirlwind) (in anvil the grandfather of assasins grants improved haste permanent and assasination 3/day) he will be really cool character.

The f/i is a cliché, but i never had real fighter/mage!!! I always choose blade insteand and/or triple class and/or dual class. If i miss the thief class i must choose Swasbucker->Cleric and that is not godly like the Berserker->Cleric. The choice is hard. sad.gif
trufa
The f/i is a cliché, but i never had real fighter/mage!!! I always choose blade insteand and/or triple class and/or dual class. If i miss the thief class i must choose Swasbucker->Cleric and that is not godly like the Berserker->Cleric. The choice is hard. sad.gif

If you want to play with a real FM, try TS, with tactics/Asccension/IU, with a party like this. In this party, my FM, became a more stylie-finesse carachter, as was my kensai-druidess.
Klorox
I'm giving a try at the entire trilogy, no reloads with minimum stats (with 6 STR minimum... I need to carry some stuff):

Half Elf Cleric/Ranger
Dwarf Fighter/Thief
Half Elf Blade
Elf Sorcerer (protagonist will stay out of harms way as much as possible in a no reloads game)

It's quite the challenge, and a whole lot of fun! I may cheat a tiny bit and import 1 item per character into BGII... I'm not sure yet.

The tomes from BGI make a huge difference when your stats are so low to begin with!
Ryel ril Ers
I suggest instead a tactical mod, if you want difficulty, like the Tactics or Stratagem or Improved Anvil (i plays with IA and very hard).
The minimum stats very frustrating because you cannot wear heavy items, you cannot cast 4th or highter level arcane spells with your blade(you must have 9 int for a simple level 4th spell), you have little hp. Very frustrating.

If you enjoy it then you do but i not suggest it because this is mazoist (the IA too).
Klorox
Actually, all Bards have a minimum INT of 12 or 13, and BG doesn't play by the rules with regards to INT determining the highest level spells you can cast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.