Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to figure out a party w/ NPCs I've hardly used before:
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Gaming discussion, D&D, screenshots > Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal
Klorox
Help me complete a balanced party here:

So far, I've got:

Viconia
Haer'Dalis
Cernd

In my "standard setup" that works for my style of play, I'd like to have 1 primary spellchucker, and 2 more tanks. I also need somebody to handle locks and traps. Another requirement is that I'd really like to romance Viccy (I've started that once, but never completed it), and I need the party to stay together (without mods), so inparty killing is OUT.

I figure Imoen fits in pretty well for the main mage and traps/locks person, which leaves me needing 2 tanks.

I could use any of the following to fit that role:

Minsc
Korgan
Vaygar
Mazzy (unconventional, but she works well in the role!)
Protagonist

I've never played a Wizard Slayer before, nor a Beastmaster. But I think a WS makes a better tank. I'm not dead-set on this though (as I love Berserkers). It's been a long time since I tried a single-classed Kensai too. Another interesting option is a Monk, which I've never tried past Chapter 3

Any and all suggestions here are welcome.
TIA
Klorox
As I brainstorm, I come up with wackier and wackier ideas.

I've just installed the Shapeshifter rebalancing tweak, which apparently will make Cernd into a decent tank. I'm told Haer'Dalis (when buffed) makes an awesome fighter, and that Viconia can have a great AC, so she should last in combat a while.

If I were to stick to my preferred 4 member party, I'm actually considering a Swashbuckler dualled into a Mage.

Is a Swashbuckler a decent Fighter? I know I'll never tank like a real tank, but what if I were to dual at level 10 (or is 11 when the next AC bonus kicks in?), could a Swashbuckler at that level function decently asa tank?

TIA
Sikret
QUOTE(Klorox @ Dec 20 2007, 06:17 PM) *
Is a Swashbuckler a decent Fighter? I know I'll never tank like a real tank, but what if I were to dual at level 10 (or is 11 when the next AC bonus kicks in?), could a Swashbuckler at that level function decently asa tank?

A swashbuckler becomes a decent fighter when he reaches 26+ levels. So, if you want him as a tank, you shouldn't dual him to another class (not even to fighter, because you want him to gain the "Use Any Item" HLA, plus a high level swashbucklers has excellent AC). Since thieves progress quickly, it won't take too long for him to hit those high levels.

But if you want a mage with thieving skills to free an NPC slot (not to be forced to have a separate thief in the party), then dualing at level 10 is a good idea. He will be a mage with a minor AC bonus and with thieving skills of course.
Klorox
Thanks Sikret. Sounds dualling at level 10 (or even 15) won't do for me what I want.

I could go with a FMT, or bite the bullet and go with 5 or 6 NPCs.

Viconia
Cernd
Haer'Dalis

Those are my core. I need a Thief, another Mage, and some tanking power. Grrr!
Klorox
I just had a little idea, and I think I'm going with it:

I'll play a Sorcerer, and change Viconia into a Cleric/Thief multiclass. The multiclass fits her character well, and it will be a new challenge for me to play without a classic tank type character!

Anybody want to help a Shadowkeeper newbie turn Viconia into a C/T?

TIA. biggrin.gif

Sorcerer
Viconia (romance)
Cernd
Haer'Dalis

Should be fun!!!
Klorox
nix that last one (Are ya'll getting tired of reading my crap yet?).

I figure I'd do better not modifying anybody, and playing a Bounty Hunter (11) > Mage.

I should get those levels back very quickly, and could even solo Chateau Irenicus.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.