Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powergaming a solo run... no reloads!!!
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Gaming discussion, D&D, screenshots > Baldur's Gate and TotSC
Klorox
Over on the bioware website, some posters put together "challenges." The latest one I'm getting into is a no reloads, solo run through BG1 (and hopefully BG2 as well, if you can make it!).

Anyway, I've been trying to think of a really powerful character, who will also be effective when I reach BG2.

I've come to realize that Berserkers and Barbarians are extremely useful in this challenge. Their Rages will save your ass from so many things, like most of the spell casting assassins you meet early on, as well as Sirens and the like. Having a lot of HP means that you don't have to worry so much about traps in this game (there are no "save or die" traps I know of in BG1).

I thnk a single classed Berserker or Barbarian is kind of boring though, and I don't like their chances in BG2.

This leaves me with the dual class option, which eliminates the Barbarian and leaves me only with Human Berserkers.

Optimally, I'd love to get my Berserker to level 7 (for the extra 1/2 ApR), which mean I could dual class to either a Thief or a Druid and activate my Berserker class before hitting the TotSC XP cap.

I also have the option of completing the game with a single classed human Berserker, and dual classing in BGII (probably at level 13, the optimal dual classing level for a Berserker IMHO). I could switch to a Mage or a Cleric at that point, although a Mage is probably more powerful (and allows for the level-up cheese of getting XP for just memorizing scrolls). BTW, I will not erase and rescribe scrolls... that's just too cheesey, even for a "challenge".

What I'm looking for are some ideas I may have missed, and some suggestions all over (races, classes, anything!). Would I be better off with just a FMT? A Gnome F/Ill (better saving throws)? Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Daulmakan
Beating Sarevok & co. without someone to buff you/throw spells at the bad guys/summon cannon fodder will prove extremely difficult, you'll need like a zillion potions, and even then I'm not sure I like your chances as a solo warrior. A multi classed choice for BG1 would be my choice, but that's just me.
Klorox
Multiclass what? I've had problems with making saving throws a lot.

I am currently playing a level 4/4 Gnome Fighter/Illusionist. Being a short guy has helped a lot with saves, and I guess a F/Ill is a good combo for combat (Wand of Monster Summoning, and using Drizzt's Scimitar +5 is sweet in BG1). Maybe I'll continue with him.
Daulmakan
I'd go Fighter/Mage.

And, um, how does a 4/4 F/I get ahold of Drizzt's sword?
Tervadh
See here. I think you'd have to be at least 5 as an illusionist to try it. Then maybe you could hit him with enough Monster Summon 1s to keep him busy (he'll cut through 'em like butter but it might buy you enough time - and if you somehow managed to get your filthy little mitts on a wand of MS1 that early, that'll help too wink.gif). But I think a dwarf F/C would be better - you can use Animate Dead, and starting with 19 Con and the +1 from the Manual, you can regenerate HP. Plus they get the same saving throw bonuses as gnomes against wands and spells, with an additional saving throw bonus against poison that gnomes don't get. And with that Con on top of that, you'll be a walking tank.
Klorox
QUOTE(Daulmakan @ Nov 28 2007, 11:13 PM) *
I'd go Fighter/Mage.

And, um, how does a 4/4 F/I get ahold of Drizzt's sword?

Solo characters (plus the use of the spell "Friends") has allowed me to acumulate a whole lot of money. I sold and bought back a Wand of Monster Summoning, and now have it with 100 charges.

Just keep up the fodder and pelt the dude with arrows.

BTW, after playing for about an hour last night, he's a 6/6 F/I now. smile.gif I'm going to max out his levels before reaching the Cloakwood Mines!

QUOTE(Tervadh @ Nov 29 2007, 03:06 AM) *
But I think a dwarf F/C would be better - you can use Animate Dead, and starting with 19 Con and the +1 from the Manual, you can regenerate HP. Plus they get the same saving throw bonuses as gnomes against wands and spells, with an additional saving throw bonus against poison that gnomes don't get. And with that Con on top of that, you'll be a walking tank.

A Dwarf F/C is definitely a possibility. I rolled one up with some great stats, but haven't really played him much yet (the Save is still in the Prologue, IIRC). I'll definitely give him a try later though: Dwarves are my favorite D&D race to play, and my Dwarven Barbarian was incredible after getting that 20 CON.

As a matter of fact, a solo Dwarf F/C really only needs to buy that Full Plate Mail, a Necklace of Missiles, and have some cash for recharging that sucker. The best weapon for him can be had early (Bassilus), +1 Shields are pretty easy to come by, and the only Rep loss they should ever get is if they kill Algernon for his cloak.

You could probably start with a CHA of 2 and still be alright in the cash dept.! tongue.gif

ON EDIT: I guess the only issues I'd have with the Dwarf F/C is that I don't see many good defenses for him in BGII against Elder Orbs (I hate Imprisonment!!!!), but I guess I could choose to face them after getting the ability to become the Slayer. That would save a lot of trouble.

Okay, I think I've rambled enough now. smile.gif
WizWom
well, I'm currently doing solo NR with a Cleric/Thief. I hate traps.

Clerics will have defense against Elder orbs: Shield of the Archons, and Magic resistance (boosted with items). And the good old Scroll of Protection:Magic.

Not to mention the cheesey "sanctuary" ploys.
Klorox
QUOTE(WizWom @ Dec 31 2007, 05:58 PM) *
Not to mention the cheesey "sanctuary" ploys.

Please explain!
WizWom
Sanctuary is just that - walk by whatever you like, do non-hostile actions like opening doors, picking locks, removing traps, looting containers... and nearly everything in the game ignores you. Grab all the stuff from "you were seen" trapped chests, let the police spawn - they won't interact with you.

Very cheesy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.