Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Of certain spells
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate II > Lost Crossroads
Galactygon
[Topic title edited by Galactygon @ 10-22-07]

I have started working on the actual implementation of a new polymorph system that I intend to introduce: disguises.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think I mentioned this system a few times in the Mod/Web Updates thread (correct me if I am wrong), but I will go over it again.

About disguises, there should be certain conditions, where enemies will not notice you. Here is what I have in mind:
- When you polymorph, you do so out of all enemies' line of sight. Unless they are blinded, stunned, or disabled in any manner. Held creatures would still count, since they are aware of their surroundings
- Polymorphing into something that fits the surroundings. In other words, it is believable that you are a local. (depending on how hard it is, I might/might not implement this)
- The creatures you are trying to trick have a low int score, wheras you have a high enough int score that you do not look suspicious.
- Doing things you wouldn't normally do in a specific form, such as an ettercap casting a spell. And yes, you may now cast spells in shapeshifted forms, provided they have at least 2 arms.
- You do not attack the creatures outright.

Although these might seem hard to implement (not that they aren't), I have thought up ways to bypass many of the obstacles. Most of them do not involve even a single line of script, and only involve .spl, .pro, and .eff files.

Aside from that, I am merging Polymorph Self and Polymorph Other into a single spell: Polymorph. The main reason behind this is the shortage of space in the spellbook (you cannot have more than 24 spells inscribed if you want all spells to show). If the spell is cast on the caster, it works exactly like Polymorph: Self, while casting the spell on some other target would make the spell work like Polymorph: Other.

Of course, you might be wondering why I am starting a new thread rather than posting in the Mod/Web updates. Here is why:

I am short on 32x32 icons for shapeshifted creatures. I already have a few (black bear, arctic wolf, elementals) that I extracted from IWDII. I am looking for icons that match IWDII's style (realistic looking, using a cool colour tone).

Since I intend to allow shapeshifting into any BGII creature (excluding bosses and dragons), I would like 32x32 icons for all BGII (and IWDII, since I will use Bestial Animations) creatures. Icons for creatures like Mindflayers, Ogres, Genies, Rakshasa, Vampires, Beholders, Will 'o Wisps, and such...

I do not need icons for PST creatures, since I can use images from the journal.

Since any image file format would do (including the less common ones such as .tiff files), those who have little modding experience could be of help.

Also, I am looking for inventory avatars of the appropriate creatures, so when you shapeshift, there is something displayed in the inventory.

In this attatchment, I have a sample of how the IWDII icons look like, and what style I am looking for. My e-mail is galactygon@baraban.com, but I don't check it very often, and I don't recieve all messages due to some bug. So it is better to PM me instead.

-Galactygon
Rabain
Perhaps some of the icons on this page might be of use:

http://www.wowwiki.com/WoWWiki:WoW_Icons/Icon_List/Images
Galactygon
Unfortunately, many of the icons look too cartoony for my (and the mod's) taste.

Nonetheless, there are a few I could use, but for other purposes in the mod.

-Galactygon
Sir-Kill
unfortunately the image you posted gala still does not seem to work.
Galactygon
You are right, SirKill. There must be something up with the server, since I have tried to upload and show the image vie ftp and that doesn't work either.

-Galactygon
Baronius
It has nothing to do with the server, it's your browsers.

Most browsers don't support CMYK, so I converted the JPEG image to RGB 24-bit. I've updated your attachment, Galc.
Galactygon
My mistake then, thanks Baronius!

-Galactygon
Baronius
No problem. I'm here to help.
Galactygon
Something that has not appeared in any of the games is telekinesis. Due to engine restrictions, not everything in AD&D could be replicated, so my interpretation will be radically different from the one in AD&D.

Here is a partial list of some ideas I have in mind (not just for the wizard spell telekinesis, but for creatures using telekinesis in general):
  • Caster may manipulate triggers from afar that normally require a short distance. Doable.
  • Caster may open and close doors from a distance. Doable and has been done, but the implementation is a bit messy.
  • Caster (if also a thief) may disarm traps and pick pockets from a safe distance. Again, doable, but the implementation is messy.
  • Missile weapons fired at the caster or any of his allies automatically miss, while missile weapons fired by the caster or his allies always hit. Doable.
  • Caster may "drag" creatures towards/away from him.
  • Caster may "pick up" dropped items from a distance, and have them dropped into his inventory. This very hard to implement, and am not sure if it is worth the trouble, since every single item is referenced from a script, and it takes a very long time to cycle through them.

I am looking for ideas on what else I should include in the list.

-Galactygon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.