Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Little wondering
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Gaming discussion, D&D, screenshots > Baldur's Gate and TotSC
Neferit
Just a little wondering - why almost every mod for BG1 is for bgtutu?
Baronius
Because most players love BG2 so much, so they choose Tutu. Many less players play with the original BG, refusing to play Tutu (including myself). I don't like Tutu simply because I think BG1's graphics and spells and everything (except NPC interaction but I don't really find that so important) are better than BG2's, however, I tend to make my mods compatible with it.

Furthermore, most Tutu mods are Tutu-only mods (they don't work with original BG1). Mod makers have easier work due to the scripting possibilities of BG2.
CamDawg
Tutu has a lot of advantages over bogstandard BG. I'll offer you two answers; one from a modder's PoV and one from a player's PoV.

As a player, Tutu offers everything that was good in BG at a higher resolution and without really annoying 'features' such as a non-pausing inventory screen and multi-class mages with only one weapon slot. The interface has been ported, as have load screens, etc. so it's very, very close to a classic BG experience.

As a modder, the variant of the Infinity Engine that runs BG2 is the most capable, meaning you can do several things in BG2 that you simply can not in BG. For example, there's no way the BG1 NPC Project is going to be available for BG.
Baronius
As a player, Tutu offers everything that was good in BG at a higher resolution and without really annoying 'features' such as a non-pausing inventory screen [..]

To his each own, don't forget. The non-pausing inventory screen was realistic, while BG2's stops the time. ToB's fix about the armour change somewhat compensated it.
The majority of players welcomed the pausing inventory screen, but there are BG fans who didn't. I also hated in BG1 when I got killed while trying to drink a healing potion for example, but it was also fun and realistic. BG2 has many other features as well which reflect that it is intended to be a game for weaker players as well -- since many found BG1 too hard.
CamDawg
QUOTE(Baronius @ Jul 12 2006, 11:20 AM)

To his each own, don't forget.

I'm pretty sure I was speaking for myself there.

Also, I'm curious what graphics you think are better in BG. The only thing, graphically, that I find BG2 to be lacking in is the much-lamented flaming sword.
Baronius
QUOTE(CamDawg)
Also, I'm curious what graphics you think are better in BG. The only thing, graphically, that I find BG2 to be lacking in is the much-lamented flaming sword.

Beside the Flaming Sword, I like the paperdoll and general animations better in BG1. (I know there is a Tutu component/mod which adds BG1 animations but it's still not the same for me.) OK spell effects are nicer, but the BG1 has an overall great feeling which BG2 lacks. While BG2 is one of the best computer games I played, it is also "just" a game with lot of irrealistic stuff (I listed them HERE). And this is not off-topic, because Tutu uses the BG2 engine, and thus inherits many things such as the pausing screen from BG2.
Neferit
I ask because I installed BG1 yesterday and I want to try NPC Project. NPC Project - as you sure know - need tutu. For tutu I need BG2 installed, too. But what the problem is - I don't have enough place on disk for BG1 and BG2 banghead.gif It's unfair to us, with-little-place-on-disk-cursed-players. But I will discover how to make enough place for both biggrin.gif (I hope at least laugh.gif ).

and little silly queston - what is PoV? unsure.gif
CamDawg
PoV = Point of View. Sorry, it's easy to forget everyone doesn't know the same set of acronyms. smile.gif
Domi
It's unfair to us, with-little-place-on-disk-cursed-players.

It is in no way done to discriminate against the guys who are low on disk space. It is just that without some serious changes to the way the dialogue files and scripts are structured that were introduced by BG2 Infinity Engine variant, implementing dialogues for banter/romances is pretty much impossible. While Blucher was willing to work on workarounds to try to implement BG1 NPC Phase I content into vanilla BG1, neither he is around any more, nor I think it was all that doable. In fact, we lucked out that TUTU came out at the time we were ready to do coding, otherwise we'd be still sitting there with some banter material and no mod. TUTU introduction gave us the means to quickly and painlessly implement much, much more advanced dialogue content than the simple banter between two characters (ie Romances).
Neferit
QUOTE(Domi)
It is in no way done to discriminate against the guys who are low on disk space.

Yes, I know. But I'm that type of person who just must ever complain. and why? Because when you stop with complaining, everybody will think that everything is OK and all the changes for the better would stop laugh.gif

It is just that without some serious changes to the way the dialogue files and scripts are structured that were introduced by BG2 Infinity Engine variant, implementing dialogues for banter/romances is pretty much impossible.

You know, I try to learn programming but when I should work with computer, I'm really clumsy wacko.gif so I can imagine how hard it must be, doing something like BG1 NPC Project or any of the mods to BG1 (or all the mods to BG2) wacko.gif
Domi
At this day and age, mods like BG1NPC project are not difficult to code, as we use the already prepared/used before codes. I sure feel lucky that I could draw upon more profecient coders for expertise whenever I was stuck with something. And yes, this was possible because we were using TUTU.

What is challenging in the project are the sheer volume of code that requires ability to do a tedious job very carefully and neatly; the fact that it deals with a large amount of NPCs that must interact and not break each-other's codes; the fact that we are effected by the relatively "messy" leftovers that were scattered in BG1 scripts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.