Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this game any good
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Gaming discussion, D&D, screenshots > Planescape: Torment
Awake
I've heard some things about this game, but i haven't seen the gameplay nor do i really know much about it. Is the gameplay similar to BG or BG2? Is it really any good? And what are the system requirements and recommended systems.
Echon
In one word: Yes.

There is not as much combat in Torment as there is in BG or BG2. The gameplay is more focused on roleplaying. You play an immortal human with amnisia who needs to discover what he is in order to avoid eternal... [something nasty]. The game also has some very interesting NPCs.

I think you need to have a six year old computer to not be able to run the game.

-Echon
Andyr
Yes, it's good. smile.gif
jastey
It definitely is! Took me a moment to get into the Torment world, though - you wake up in a mortuary, with walking (and working) dead bodies around you... Torment's world has it's own atmosphere and logic, and that's what made it so fascinating, at least for me. smile.gif
Vlasák
Torment is imho the best IE game and maybe the best RPG ever wink.gif
The feeling, the NPCs, the story, Planescape setting itself... everything is great tongue.gif
Chevar
QUOTE(Vlasák @ Sep 17 2004, 09:24 PM)
Torment is imho the best IE game and maybe the best RPG ever wink.gif
The feeling, the NPCs, the story, Planescape setting itself... everything is great tongue.gif

I'd have to agree with this one. The ending falls short IMHO, but other than that..

You can change your active character class, the storyline has more depth many situations can be handled without combat. the alignment handling is far better.

My wife, however hates it.. she would rather go around whacking things than try and follow an elaborate plot line to rediscover ones self...
Awake
sounds good, but what about modding, is it any fun to mod?
Galactygon
I cannot say anything on modding really (I tried it once, and I don't know the engine as much). It is the least covered of all engines as far as complete mods go, and the engine is quite unique. Only the Planescape: Vengeance Total Conversion knows a great deal on the engine.

As for gameplay, let me add to that. I have despised the first 5 hours the game, since it is quite nasty, however as the story progresses the game gets better and better.

It was wrong of me to judge the game after that much gameplay, and that is why the game didn't sell as much as the Epic Hack n' Slash™ ToB did (the first few hours don't absorb you as much as the rest of the time).

I haven't played it quite through yet, since I hadn't had the chance to (I'd rather devote my time for modding than playing these past few years).

A mod that extra-planarizes ToB with a story at least half as decent as Torment (on an epic scale, but not munchkin scale) would be an excellent mod indeed.

-Galactygon
Rabain
@ Awake: I think the reason there has been little modding done for PST is that the existing NPC's are tied into the story/world/game to such a degree that making a worthwhile NPC would be a monumental task.

Apart from NPC's what do you have - items, new area's and quests and likewise because TNO and the other NPC's are involved in everything it would be huge mod to anything other than add a few items!

Of the NPC's in the game only 2 can change armour! The PC (The Nameless One or TNO) can't wear armour and the few item pack available that do add armour actually change the character animation to one of the other games ones so your character doesn't even look like TNO anymore!

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and I recommend anyone who likes the BG series to play it but it's almost impossible to get these days, no longer in print see! and not even issued as a white box cheapie!

Planscape: Torment 10 out of 10 in everything!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.