Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Really enjoyed the update!
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > The Grey Clan Episode One: In Candlelight
derkoth the disgruntled
Just thought I should offer some feedback on the current version of TGCe1, which I just finished playing through.

I must say that I enjoyed the first version, as it fit very well in terms of difficulty and setup with the original BG. It wasn't nearly as overpowered as, say, DSotSC. The enemies were tough, but not ridiculously so. The storyline was fairly believable, and fit well with the story of BG.

That said, I enjoyed the new update immensely! The story has been wonderfully expanded, and seems a great deal deeper with the plots behind plots. The enemies are interesting, from the Tattooed Man to Telvar and the sorceresses to the various funky undead-type things that crop up now and then. The various twists that occur in trying to enter the Friendly Arm Inn are rather fun too. The final touch is the humor that is threaded into several of the encounters, which leads to some smile-worthy moments.

All in all, you've done quite an excellent job on this mod, sir! My hat is off to you. Now I must wait impatiently for Part II to arrive.

Cheers! beer.gif

DtD
Baronius
There is no better feeling for a mod creator than a player's positive feedback. I was more than happy to read your words, and I'm glad that you have enjoyed In Candlelight!

I must say that I enjoyed the first version, as it fit very well in terms of difficulty and setup with the original BG. It wasn't nearly as overpowered as, say, DSotSC. The enemies were tough, but not ridiculously so. The storyline was fairly believable, and fit well with the story of BG.

Thank you! There were some good ideas in it in my (obviously biased) opinion, but I didn't find it good enough. It was too simple, and its plot (and thus the whole mod) was shortened, because I wanted to release it instead of suspending the development for many months.

Now I must wait impatiently for Part II to arrive.

It might be released in July-August 2006, but I can't promise anything. Additionally, I have to admit that it is possible that it won't be as "good" as Ep1 for some players. It will be a bit different from Ep1.

For example, while Episode1 is a "solid" mod due to its precise changes on already existing game elements (areas), Ep2 will add new areas. Mainly for compatibility reasons, these new areas might not appear on the big worldmap of BG (the mod won't alter the worldmap), and it isn't too elegant when you go to a new area through a travel region and the worldmap will still show your original location. I know this may be a minor thing, but these minor details have a big role in making TGCEp1 so refined. Furthermore, its story doesn't connect to Ep1 strictly, so those who expect a direct continuation might get disappointed. (Ep3, if it ever gets released, is supposed to be the culmination point of the story.)

But of course it will offer many other things, new features, so I hope it will have at least as many happy players as Episode One.

The enemies are interesting, from the Tattooed Man to Telvar [..]
Thank you, I did my best in everything. (As an amateur voice actor as well, the soundsets probably reflect my moderate skills) smile.gif
Who is Telvar, by the way? It is either from another mod, or you misspelled it and since I played the mod long ago, I can't guess who you think of.
derkoth the disgruntled
Oops! Sorry about that. Telvar is from Secret of Bonehill, I think. I believe I was speaking of Teven (who, incidentally, handed me my @$$ the first time I fought him).

In terms of Part II's dissimilarities from Pt. I, I suppose the map fixes would have to be undertaken by Weigo (I think that's his handle on the Spellhold Studios forums), in order to get them into the updated Worldmap version. I'm not sure about that though. I hear that Region of Terror, Neverending Journey, etc. are being included in that worldmap update, and so I'm sure the man has TONS to do!

Either way, I was pleased as punch with Ep. 1, so despite the potential differences in the next version, I have faith in you as a modder, so I'll still anticipate it with pleasure.

Cheers! beer.gif

DtD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.