Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Design Notes
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate II > World Transition Project
Chevar
proposed features;

1) an all new map (completed)
2) dozens of areas that are new to the IE world - mostly ported from Diablo2.
3) Mostly short quests and dungeon crawls (module based)
4) Large enough map for longer more involved quest addons
----------------------------------------------
There are some planned addins that I'll be eventually putting out requests for.. I don't have my AD&D books anymore.. so when It spider cave time I'll be setting up the animations, and asking who wants to get the credit for creating phaze spiders, will all new graphics, and I have a three of four level spider cave that I'll be making maps for.. the idea is; here are all the resources you need, have at it.. that way I can spend more time making the different kingdom locations on the map..

---------------------------------------
The current concept I'm considering is allowing different modding groups to take charge of different map regions. so each of the region has an administrative group which help coordinate what goes where in their zones. Each zone will have a "start" map location which can be purchased through the Fort Unity mapmaker.

I want to see if it's possible to script the shopkeeper so that he will alternate between two different "stores" or scripts through dialog, allow for updates in his scripts or vendor list to be updated without having to restart the game. I don't know if that can be done.

So once you leave Fort Unity you enter the realm of a modding group. each region will therefore have their own history, and storylines that cross boarders will be negotiated between groups.

I plan on using slightly smaller map location markers, but still have to test it. In theory this should be possible through simply using a smaller image, and more transparent area.

Mind you I'm still just brainstorming, and not ready for a proper description of the project. The idea is for the modding community to work together to make one big 'supermod' together. everyone get's there due..

As I have it currently the world is segregated by race. Each group would control one race within the world. Including race specific kits if they so choose. I'm not planning on making additional kits for general characters. I'd like each race to have their own special kits, eventually.

The problem with this logic is that there are plenty of Drow fans out there, and very few for half-orcs or halflings.

There are some realms which are not controlled by any specific race. These are reserved for major mod development.

There are four monster regions of control - a dragon controled volcanic island (Reserved for MOD), the undead realm, goblin realm, The Yaun-Ti realm, and the orcish realm.

The orcish realms will have control over half-orc characters.

Dragon isle is reserved for a single high level mod. The isle of the dead, according to the initial story is where an ancient evil of unknown power overtook an ancient burial site, and is ammasing a force which it eventually plans to use to extinguish all life.. but that in the story the map was made for.. what the people incharge of the realm do with it is completely upto them.

The Yaun-Ti realm, once again it's up to the people in charge of the area, but it's an area of inflewence controlled by the sentient reptilian races.. but the Yaun-ti have the real power - they have to, they have more animation variations.

Fort Unity is a place where all races are welcomed, a place of tolerance.. or in other words a place where a Yaunti, Goblin, Undead, Orc or whatever can go to recruit help, or to trick someone to come home for 'dinner'.

------------------------------------
Most of the areas in the Addons. will be reused, or modified from BG/BG2/IWD/IWD2 and PST. If you're motivated I'll try and get the WORLDMAP.MOS added online along with some of my racial city, and generic map icon graphics. (raw images) That way you can grab the map pack.. The regular bg2 icons will still show on it (wherever they would be on the regular map). Just start working on it, start it as normal BG2 modwork It can later be integrated. I'm going to make a list of "used maps from IE games" so there wont be much overlap.

The maps I'm working on are for theme projects, and special locations primarily. The desert kingdom, not race specific, is getting one special map (Diablo 2 Lut Golen) for it's capitol - they don't get full control of a race, so they get a new map. The barbarian region also get's a new map (Diablo 2 Hagoroth) for the same reason. The undead region get's a nice cemetary to play with for one of their crypt cities. The Yaunti get a city as well (Diablo 2 Kurast), and I've not decided what do do for a goblin city. I also have a stack of castle 3d models which I'll be trying to find a way to adapt when I'm further into the project..

Any mods created to integrate into TW can be made as BG2 mod, and integrated into the full project after it enters the beta stage. Preexisting mods can of course be adapted.

The only thing to keep in mind is that to keep the feel of the game more real there is not going to be a central plot, and chapters. I'm not looking for a linear world. Placing a 'new' identical map icon over a preexisting one will replace that map, as in the case with d'narse (sp) keep. So the world can evolve as the player adventures.

The plot size will vary based on the work of the realm masters. Two regions can go to war if two realm masters work together to coordinate it. There's the possibility of a 'timeline' while playing.. I want to see what the game and modding community is truely capable of. Primarily, I want to get the ball rolling, and see how big the snowball gets!

----------------------------
The only REAL requirements are basic ones.

1) Check to see what areas have already been claimed.
2) Try to keep it balanced.
3) Ask before crossing borders with your addins.
4) try to avoid lame plotlines like "you're the child of an evil god!"
------------------------------

Windwalker summed it up best;

"The way I see it, this project is a TC, but not the way we were used to TCs. It's about building a background for TCs, right? What I mean is, that the areas will be ready, the entire world (worldmaps, etc) would be complete, and the only thing one would need would be to make the quests."

-------------------------------------
Chevar
Updates;

The unpopulated fort unity map has been completely.
The unpopulated expedition dig map has been completed.
The unpopulated FU-North map is nearing completion.

Oracle's Palace graphical map is complete
Dragon's peak graphical map is complete.
new village graphical map in progress.

6 dungeon graphical maps have been generated.

Docktown graphical map pending screen edge fill
Montain city graphical map pending screen edge fill
desert city graphical map pendingscreen edge fill

Hellforge map segments generated.

Dwarven Hall map aquired
Awake
when you say unpopulated maps of FU do you mean that there won't be any people there, or that there aren't any people there yet?
Chevar
QUOTE(Awake @ Sep 12 2004, 05:09 AM)
when you say unpopulated maps of FU do you mean that there won't be any people there, or that there aren't any people there yet?

the problenm with being an admin. of a forum is you tend to hit edit instead of reply.. ack..

the following is complete;

Light Map
Height Map
Seach Map
basic ARE file
TIS file
wallgroups
MOS file
WED files
Chevar
Graveyard - necropolis1 graphical map complete.
desicrated village graphical map complete.
Subteranian lair1 graphical map complete.
Subteranian Lair2 graphical map complete.
Dig site subterainian shrine graphical map complete.
Chevar
Graphical maps of yaunti woods complete. (2 maps)
Yaunti forbidden city graphical map completion 95% at time of post.
yaunti capitol graphical map complete.
Awake
I'm calling your attention to this "update" thread here.
Personally, i find it discouraging when an update thread goes....unupdated. perhaps there should be an update
Chevar
QUOTE(Awake @ Oct 5 2004, 01:56 AM)
I'm calling your attention to this "update" thread here.
Personally, i find it discouraging when an update thread goes....unupdated. perhaps there should be an update

Smart ass.. Due to a power outage nearly a weeks worth of work was lost/compromised in the resulting drive crash..

Now, I didn't think that was worthy of an update.
Awake
QUOTE(Chevar @last post)
Smart ass..

biggrin.gif

well, i do think there's more to update. not much, but at least people will know that work is being done on it. such as
Human Region: being worked on
Yuan-ti Region: being worked on
Elven Region: being worked on

hey! i did it myself laugh.gif
Chevar
Then there's the programmer that contacted me in email, who may be interested in taking the dwarves. I'm waiting to hear back. He's not a modder yet. but for anyone interesting in learning the best link resource for modding tools is currently

HERE
Awake
ah, really. dwarves are almost gone too? do i know him/her?

also, i would have included a direct link to the tools. here!

yes, i'm very picky about that sort of thing.
Chevar
QUOTE(Awake @ Oct 5 2004, 02:21 AM)
ah, really. dwarves are almost gone too? do i know him/her?

also, i would have included a direct link to the tools. here!

yes, i'm very picky about that sort of thing.

Direct to tools yes, but not to tools and tutorials.
Domi
Guys, I am sort of still confused about how this is going to work, what kind of support will be provided by the team, who is on the team, how the mod is going to be released and considered complete etc, but I am tentatively interested in developping adventures/NPCs etc for the following area.

I am a (relatively) qualified writer and (relatively) qualified dialogue coder. I will require extensive training for area editing and help with kits/item editing, help with more complex scripting.

I believe that I can commence working for this sub-project starting on November 1, 2005.

Realm; Friggian Realm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Population; Barbarian Tribes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background; UNKNOWN

Status; Unclaimed

Developer(s); NONE
Sir-Kill
That would be grand. I know well of your work smile.gif
As I have said before I will give you all the help I can with area editing. and anyother graphic domain. Dragon_Lord can help with all the other *cough* real modding questions and the council is very knowledgeable, they pop in from time to time. smile.gif we could realy use a writer, yay.

as far as complete it will never really be complete. however a release of a working world will be released, when ... well you know better than to ask that lol
Domi
So a project associated module can be released once done? Wonderful. I will start working on the notes for Friggia and associated 1st module set there, and will hopefully be able to present a comprehensive proposal and outline by the time I will be done with my BG1NPC duties.
Sir-Kill
sounds good. look foward to it.
Domi
QUOTE(Chevar @ Sep 12 2004, 04:55 AM)
Updates;

The unpopulated fort unity map has been completeld...

Do we have this one somewhere still?
Sir-Kill
my guess we'll be using something else. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.