Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Least favourite NPC
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Gaming discussion, D&D, screenshots > Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Throne of Bhaal
Takara
I was just wondering, which NPC cant you stand. For me, no matter how many times I play through, I will never take Haer Dalis with me. Is there anyone you cant stand?
kulyok
Imoen. There is only one step between mocking and cruelty, and she made it.
Sikret
Edwin, for sure!
Seifer
QUOTE(Takara @ Mar 17 2006, 09:08 AM)
I was just wondering, which NPC cant you stand. For me, no matter how many times I play through, I will never take Haer Dalis with me. Is there anyone you cant stand?

I'd take him just to get him shot.
Sorrow
QUOTE(kulyok @ Mar 17 2006, 09:18 AM)

And what step it was:>?

-------------

Analman
kulyok
QUOTE(Sorrow @ Mar 17 2006, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE(kulyok @ Mar 17 2006, 09:18 AM)

-------------

Analman

It's a saying rather than a description of a specific action. But asking Valygar: "Hey, word's on the street that you killed your parents," or stealing Keldorn's ring qualifies, I guess.

(Not to mention being present in the game in obnoxious proportions, but this is another story entirely.)
Moongaze
Viconia. Too much unnecessary cruelty vs. my favorite characters. Sorry Vic.
Rastor
Jan. His stories annoy me.

I don't like Haer'Dalis (hands off of Aerie!) or Edwin either.

I've never taken Mazzy, but that's because she never fits into my party.
WizWom
Well, truth be told - Jaheira.
I can't stand her crappy sniping annoyances. I feel like killing her, using raise dead, and putting her in front of a dragon naked and watching her get chunked.
"Omnipresent Authority Figure" indeed...
balduran
I don't like Anomen. I only took him once, when I was playing with a female pro, because I wanted to see how the romance is going to develop. Other than that I find him annoyng and I think he represents a specific quality in people that I really don't apreciate - braggadocio. ineffective.gif
berelinde
Nalia. Her crusade to help the poor combined with her general immaturity gets on my nerves. Mods have changed my perspective, though, so I will allow that a well-written mod might change my mind. What I mean by this is that sometimes expanding an NPCs role in the game sometimes adds sufficient complexity to a character to offset an initial negative reaction. Before the NPC Project, I hated Kivan. Now, I love him.
Rabain
Least favourite has to be Cernd, never take him in my party...don't know why really.
berelinde
Cernd, for such a generally inoffensive guy, seems to elicit extremes. It seems like people either love him or can't stand him.

I don't like him, personally, but some people for whom I have a great deal of respect do like him, so there must be something I'm missing.

Either that, or he's like that one childhood friend of your spouse...you know the one.
Neferit
Aerie and Anomen. I don't know why, I just don't like them. I could stand them only when I tried their romance, but when the romances were over - aloha, Ano and Aer!
Domi
Imoen. Unlike other characters that rub you in the wrong way she is also plot-important and therefore endlessly mentioned as someone you gotta have some warm feelings for. That puts her beyond competition in my books of the Worst Joinable NPC ever.
FoodThing
Anomen..I mean, everything from face to dialect screams JACKASS!
He's not even fun-jackass like edwin..bah, the only reason to have him in the party is to polymorph him into a squirrel and send him first against firekraag.
NOG
Wow, you guys are vicious. I'd never take someone just to kill them off, well, except Khalid from BGI, but you have to if you want Jaheira.

I've come close with Anomen a few times, but I didn't want to sully any of my party slots with his sickening character. The portrait just makes it worse, you know. And this is weird, because I almost always play a chaotic good char striving for goodness and not caring about the laws. You'd think the laws part would be my only problem, and that one not much of one, but the guy just makes me SICK, and I don't even know why.
berelinde
Thankfully, everyone is different. Otherwise, the world would be a boring place.

I never liked Aerie or Nalia, but some people adore them. Something good can be said of the 'worst' NPC, just like something bad can be said of the 'best'.

Let me say some nice things about some of the NPCs I don't particularly care for:
Aerie--very sweet
Nalia--crusader for others, very unselfish
Cernd--generally agreeable (as in no one in the party ever threatens to beat him up)
Rabain
Khalid gets a raw deal a lot of the time. To be honest I prefer Khalid's personality to Jahiera's most of the time...it's just that Khalid isn't much help in the party as a tank...he tends to run away "better part of valor" and all that! He makes a nice archer though!
Khaos1987
I don't like Valygar, he's so plain it hurts. At least Cernd has moments of feelings...the closest Valy comes is the death of Lavok with his "Aww shucks, Oh well" attitude.

Edit: Ok, He's good for backstabbing and dual weilds like a master. Valy is a pretty good NPC, I just think his personality is lacking.
Lemernis
I've found Nalia to be the most boring of the NPCs. And for me, anyway, to be the least interesting of the bunch. I can never quite bring myself not to include Imoen in the party after rescuing her. So Nalia becomes superfluous.

As for the annoyance factor, some of Minsc's lines sometimes start to irritate me a little.

But generally speaking I enjoy a wide variety of party members. I like to mix them up a lot (I use the Happy Patch). I get a kick out of using some of the less popular ones.

Sometimes the chemistry within the party clicks (PC matters here too), and then they all seem great. Other times unlikeble traits a particular NPC may have will seem amplified by to a poor party chemistry overall.
Ardanis
Jan - I dislike such people. And also he's gnome.
Jaheira - though it's not because of her own but rather because of dialog writer's (I do so hate them for what they've done with Jaheira, Elhan and Melissan).
Odracir
I've played Bg2, several times. Since i had the desire of trying all the NPC. I believe that all of them are good, or at least like to hope so. Personaly, i hate iomen, she is a good CRAP! I prefer to have a real thief, and real mages.
I was shocked to see that some persons don't like Edwin!!! He is pretty funny, specially when u make him into a women in the Tomb Mission started by Korgan.
I would say that Cenrd is pretty good, but i think it is unfair to use him. When he goes to "wolvarine" mode, he is too good, and makes the game just to easy. I am not sure, but think that at higher lvls (with the patch to unlock the lvl restriction), he can be a greater "wolvarine".
I don't like Minsc, but that is because i had him for to many times, BG1 and BG2!!! He is pretty cool
NPCs i really never could stand was Valygnar... I always killed him, for his blood!! He is just rude, and no good NPC would be hidding in a wood cabin wink.gif!
HAHAHA happy.gif
Viconia is very strange in the love stories... eheheh
Regards,
Me
Ambrosia
I absolutely hate Anomen. He's gotta be one of the most annoying NPC's I have ever came across.
Sir_Carnifex
Time to bring up another old topic!

My least favorite is Cernd. His only use is as a decoy.

That said, I noticed this comment...

QUOTE(NOG @ Sep 25 2006, 02:50 PM) *
Wow, you guys are vicious. I'd never take someone just to kill them off, well, except Khalid from BGI, but you have to if you want Jaheira.

If you want only one of the NPCs of a pair in BG1, just go inside a building you never intend on entering again, put the unwanted NPC in a far corner and get rid of him. Then run out of the building before he can talk. I did this with the Jaheira/Khalid pair (and also Minsc/Dynaheir), but not to get rid of Khalid. I actually like Khalid, so he stayed in my party. Jaheira was the one to go. So now you don't have to be evil by bumping off Khalid. laugh.gif

Valiant
Definetely Jan, Cernd and Haer´Dalis.

Usually I go through with my standard party - male PC(palladin, for the capability of wielding Holy Avenger, or fighter), Minsc, Imoen, Jaheira, Viconia and Valygar. In fact I don´t need the rest of them, hehe...smile.gif
Sir_Carnifex
Nice to see you have about the same dislikes that I have, Valiant. biggrin.gif

Judging by your avatar, you have the same favorite, too!
Kerkes
1)Jaheira. Very useful she is, but annoying, boring, stubborn....AAAAAGH!
2)Imoen. You don't need a thief and sorcerers are better
3)Anomen. When I take him I make sure that he becomes chaotic neutral. 20 giants? HAHAHA
dzidek1983
Korgan.. for sure.. he loves money to much... plus i don't really like evil dwarves
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.