Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Larok NPC
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > The Gathering Hall
Troll
I've done with items, initial dialogue and the .cre, I'm on to my favourite part. Banters! Tell me what you think of Larok.

You meet Larok in the Windspear Hills, thinking he is another illusion, because he looks like an orc but speaks eloquently. Hereveals, however, that he is a half-orc and that he speaks eloquently because he was raised in Byrn Shander after being seperated from his Uthgardt tribe (hence his Barbarian class). He is a beast-hunter, hired by villages and the like to keep back the tide of monsters, selling the mystical or valuable hides to wizards and merchants. He is Lawful Nuetral and is all about order. He hates the wild, even though it is his sole source of income. He thinks it is too chaotic, too savage and that strong borders of civilization are more important than anything. So he hunts not only for coin, but because of a strong belief system. Naturally, he gets along best with Keldorn, Mazzy, Aerie, Yoshimo and Jaheira but clashes with Korgan, Haer'Dalis, Edwin, Minsc, Valygar and Nalia. He finds a kindred spirit in Anomen, due to their common love of order, and despises Jan, because of his completely random and chaotic nature. He has a plus 1 axe, which he calls 'the Taxidermist', armour made from the pelt of a bugbear shaman, which gives him a health bonus, and a lasso which works like a wand of paralyzation, which has three charges a day. He is also hunting Firkraag, and has been since he was tricked into killing his own party. As the story progresses, more about his life as an Uthgardt, his parents, his Byrn Shander education and his party are revealed. What do people think?
jastey
I like this Uthgard thing, reminds me of that companion in NWN.
I have slight problems with the being hired by villagers. There is a scene in Umar hills where the PC has to communicate between some orcs and the village people with the conclusion that the orcs/ogers don't have to be seen as a thread but can be hired as protection, so hearing from an orc that is already known for that comes a bit strange.
I like the idea of expanding on the Windspear hill illusion. Why would Fierkraag have such an interest in him?
One question: How would the "hunts Fierkraag" be addressed in the mod? Would he be trying to persuade the PC to kill Fierkraag very soon in the game or something like that?
Sikret
I think that the idea of a Barbarian NPC is very good. What are his stats as a half orc? Half orcs are very strong (maximum 19 strength) and very healthy (maximum 19 constitution). I suggest that you at least give him the maximum 19 in one of the two fields.

You mentioned that he hates the wild and yet get along best with Jaheira. Perhaps a druid will not easily agree with a hatred against wild life, unless you can add some modifications to the hating side of Larok's personality. (ex: He hates the monsters who disturb the order but he does not hate *animals* and wild life in its generality)

He finds a kindred spirit in Anomen, due to their common love of order...

What if Anomen goes for the revenge line in his quest?

And some more questions:
1- Will Larok have a quest?
2- To what extent will he clash with the other NPCs you mentioned? Does he clash just because those characters are chaotic or because of certain things they do in the game?

This is all I can think of for now. Perhaps as you send more information, new points and questions may occur to me. Good luck!
Troll
I'll play through with the characters before I really decide on the content on the banters. And yeah, he hates unnatrual beasts, I should say that. He gets along with the druids because they both believe in maintaining the borders of civilzation and the wild. He dosn't like the wild because it makes him uneasy - he hates savagery and monsters. I thought an Uthgardt background would just act as a justification of his Barbarian class. Orcs are plentiful in the North and raids would be frequent, so naturally alot of half-orcs would come from that region. And as to being hired by villages, I don't necissarily believe he'd be shunned by people in need because he's a half-orc. If he was a drow, definately, but not half-orc. Why? Because slavers employ orogs. Nobles employ ogre body-guards. There is a freakin' ogre just standing in taverns in BG1, and no one kicks up a fuss. If the villages are desperate, they won't judge him on his race. I mean, if your PC was a half-orc and that was the case, how would you get any quests? He's hunting Firkraag the man - he dosn't know he's a dragon. Firkraag turned his attention toward Larok's party because one of Larok's fellows was servant of Lord F who deserted him.
Troll
Oh and btw jastey, the villages don't like communicating with those ogres because they are Sythsillians, and the South is at war with the Sythsillians, they probably think they are spies or agents.
jastey
It seems you recall the back story better than I do. What you wrote about the hiring makes sense.

What are his stats and alignment, btw?
Troll
19 str, 14 dex, 18 con, 12 int, 7 wis, 10 char. He's a cultured half-orc, so I wanted his char and int to be average. He is lawful nuetral, which reflects his love of the order of civilization.
jastey
Is "order of civilization" some order like the order of the Radiant Heart, or do you mean order in a different sense? (Dang being ESL)
I like his stats, they do not look overpowered.
Troll
Order as in the forced opposed to chaos - law, boundaries etc.
jastey
Ah, then I totally misread the remark about Anomen, thanks.
Troll
Ok everyone, I need help with banter. 1) How do I test it? When do NPCs decide to interact? Because when my NPC and Edwin are together (that is my first banter) they don't do anything. 2) Is this all right, because nothing is happening!

BEGIN ~BLarok~

CHAIN
IF ~InParty("Edwin")
See("Edwin")
!StateCheck("Edwin",STATE_SLEEPING)
Global("EdwinLarokTalk","LOCALS",0)~ THEN BLarok LarokTalk
~I have been watching you red one. You scowl when e'er I talk and you spit when e'er I cross your path. How is it that one of your deplorable race, who... who *abuse* the gift of civilization, submitting themselves to the whims of *monsters*, could find such distaste in a simple hunter?~
DO ~SetGlobal("EdwinLarokTalk","LOCALS",1)~
== BEDWIN
~To call you *simple* would be an understatement, you base-born, hog-faced, fen-dwelling excrement! I only spit at your feet so that I might provide you with a traveling companion *worthy* of your half-formed race! Ugh! You disgusting creature, your very presence makes me feel sick to my stomach! I would ask you to never, ever, *ever* speak with me again!~
== BLAROK
~Suit yourself, red one. But let it be known to you that the traits I share with my father's race are purely physical. I am no savage.~
== BEDWIN
~I told you not to speak to me again, orc (though I doubt your tiny mind could process even the simplest stringing together of Common words). If ever I feel the need to talk with someone of your status and brains, I will visit the apes in the circus! Now silence yourself!~
== BLAROK
~**Larok grabs Edwin by the front of his robe and lifts him from the ground so that their eyes are level with eachother.** If you refer to me by the name of my father's race *once* more, I will skin you and sell your hide to the tanner. Do I make myself clear, red one?~
== BEDWIN
~Y-yes. Of course. I u-understand completely.~
EXIT
jastey
Coding looks fine to me. Try cheating with Ctr+I, that should make the NPCs banter in game.

And I'd recommend you'd register and use a prefix. smile.gif
Troll
Register for what? What prefix?
jastey
http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=113

Prefix for your variables and filenames to ensure mod compatibility.
Troll
How does one do that?
Sikret
First you need to choose a two letter string as your prefix. See this page to make sure that you won't choose a prefix already used by others.

Once you chose your prefix send a message (a reply) to the topic jastey has given the link to and mention your prefix.

The use of this prefix is that you will name your files starting with it and as a consequence you will be sure that your files will not accidentally have the same names used by other modders.
Troll
Weidu is rejecting this. It says the problem is near "END" at line 66. Anyone know why?

APPEND BKORGAN

IF ~InParty("Larok")
See("Larok")
!StateCheck("Larok",STATE_SLEEPING)
Global("KorganLarokTalk","LOCALS",0)~ THEN BEGIN KorganLarok
SAY ~Yer bastard kind are good in a fight, Larok. What think ye of the glory battle and war?~
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("KorganLarokTalk","LOCALS",1)~ EXTERN LarokKorgan
END
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN LarokKorgan
SAY ~Battle can be glorious if you're fighting for the right cause. But war can be a vile-ruinous thing as well, especially when fought for gold-greed or power-lust.~
IF ~IsValidForPartyDialog("Korgan")~ THEN EXTERN BKORGAN KorganRespond
END

APPEND BKORGAN

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN KorganRespond
SAY ~Not the answer I'd expect from a tuskface like yerself. And here I was thinkin' I'd finally found someone with a dwarven gut fer fightin'. Yer just as slack-bladder'd as the longlegs and pointears what babysit ye.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END
END
Troll
IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("KorganLarokTalk","LOCALS",1)~ EXTERN LarokKorgan

This is the line that it keeps rejecting, copied verbatim from the tutorial. What could be wrong?
jastey
Have a look at the G3 thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.