Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: resolving host
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Realms of the Wyrm > Belching Dragon Tavern
jastey
Hi,
since three days I get "resolving host ... - "xxx.net" could not be found" for SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, and BS.

BWL and my German forums work well. From work I could access CoM without problems.

I can't access neither with Mozilla, nor with Internet Explorer. Allowing pop-ups didn't work.

Anyone of these forums passing by: Did any settings on these forums change? Are they all on the same server (most probably not)?

My internet provider of course does not suspect the problem on his side.
kulyok
Works fine for me. Opera and Internet Explorer. Do you use a different firewall now? Check your content settings and your list of blocked IP's. For example, my computer is repeatedly scanned by some forum (at least, I see their IP in my journal), and thus my firewall blocks me access to this forum because of security reasons. I have to disable this block manually.
jastey
It is a problem of the DSL provider, now they finally noticed. When I called this afternoon, they tried to tell me off by saying it's my browser settings. It took the afternoon and a call from my husband (a man!!) for them to realise they actually have a problem with their DNS server. How I hate that! mad.gif
Baronius
Regardless, I'm glad to hear it works again to you. smile.gif
jastey
No, it doesn't... But it will soon, hopefully. But thank you nonetheless.

EDIT: Hey, you are right!!!! Now it is working again, indeed. How did you know that?? happy.gif
Baronius
I am a Diviner.

I assumed it was solved, because sorting out such a problem should not take too long.
jastey
You have a "should" in that sentence. tongue.gif
Baronius
Wasn't I determined enough, perhaps? tongue.gif

I cannot judge something that I don't know in details, but I can tell what the general practice is. biggrin.gif
jastey
I just meant that with a "should" there always comes the undetermined amount of unplanned time you have to spend, especially if dealing with anything related to computers. So, yeah, it should not take long, and yet it took the company 4 days to realise the problem.
Baronius
I just meant that with a "should" there always comes the undetermined amount of unplanned time you have to spend, especially if dealing with anything related to computers.
Not always true. This greatly depends on your skills as well as on the complexity of the problem.

So, yeah, it should not take long, and yet it took the company 4 days to realise the problem.

What I meant is that solving such a problem should not take too long, once the problem has been discovered. smile.gif

Nonetheless I can understand that you're upset to them. When you didn't say that restart helped and that other sites worked, I started to be sure that it is an ISP problem, but from this distance I cannot determine it, and you told that they said the problem was not on their side. I was about to suggest contacting them again just before you posted that your husband talked to them.

When negotiating with companies, even if your ISP, be very determined (yet polite) and bugger them as long as you think it's necessary (e.g. if you assume that they are wrong). However, you're also undoubtedly right, they often consider the word of a man more seriously.
jastey
Well, I buggered them until they told me that there is nothing they can do for me. And I think I was polite...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.