Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Herbs & Potions Add-in
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > Small mods, tweaks and fixes
Baronius

Herbs and Potions Add-in for Baldur's Gate and BG1Tutu

The first version of the mod has been released.
Check its homepage for more information. You can also view its readme file and download the mod from there!

Extra coming soon: herb variation list! (For those who want to see how to create each potion; warning: spoils the fun of own exploring, Its use is recommended only if you do not install the mod for some reason but are interested, or have already brewed many potions)
Baronius
DEFINITELY A SPOILER: If you want to explore on your own how to create all the items by using the herbs/unenchanted weapons, do not check the link below. Although if you've already had enough fun with it, and want to see the complete list, feel free to check it!

See all possible items you can create: http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/Mods/Readme/herblist.php
T.G.Maestro
What animations did you use? I'm referring to various plant and herb animations - how many is there in the BG games?
Baronius
Animations (BAMs) of herbs have been created by Windwalker, basically 5 different animations for the 5 herbs.

In original BG, I know of one plant I think - the Belladonna flowers in TotSC.
T.G.Maestro
Would it be possible to ask permission to use those animations? Currently I'm working on a Herbalism druidic HLA for Refinements, and I'd find those bams more than useful. smile.gif
T.G.Maestro
BTW, I saw you intend to add the potion-maker druid to the Adventurers Mart. I'd suggest a more fitting location for him, a greener area somewhere in Athkatla would be perfect (or even near a tree).
Baronius
I considered their location several times -- also thinking of a greener place - but then I decided to add them to Ribald's shop. Most of the BG2 players (there are lots more of them than of BG1 players) like everything to be in one place, which they visit often.

In Herbs Add-in for BG1, some people already had problems locating the herbs and herbalist, even though the exact locations are mentioned in the readme. So in the BG2 version, the newbies can also easily find the druid. But yeah, you're right, a less urban location would be more logical.

Although the Herbalist can have a background story which the player doesn't know... For example Ribald promised her to help to save a forest in peril if Juoma offers her items and enchanting services in his shop. Or something like this tongue.gif

As for the animations, I gladly offer them. All that I ask is a link in the mod's credits where the animations are listed, i.e. that they were originally created for the Herbs Mod. However, as the project leader I agreed, but the animation creator's consent is also needed. I'm sure Windwalker will also agree.
T.G.Maestro
But yeah, you're right, a less urban location would be more logical.
How about the South-Western exit of the Promenade? There is large single tree there, one that could be an ideal and visible standing point for him/her(?).
As for the animations, I gladly offer them. All that I ask is a link in the mod's credits where the animations are listed, i.e. that they were originally created for the Herbs Mod.
However, as the project leader I agreed, but the animation creator's consent is also needed. I'm sure Windwalker will also agree.

Many thanks for them. I'm not sure if I'll actually need them after all (BG2 has numaerous useable herb/plant animation), but if so, I'll definitely notify you. wink.gif
Baronius
As for the tree, I'll check it. Sounds a nice idea!

OK, if you need any of the herbs animations, inform Windwalker or me. smile.gif
Baronius
There are two large trees there not just one... at the south-western exit of Waukeen's Promenade... I suppose you meant this place, didn't you?
T.G.Maestro
Exactly. Nothing is more suitable for her location in Athkatla. wink.gif
jastey
Hi!
Now I actually had the time to meet Juoma... wink.gif (Me modder, me no time to play mods), but I had a glance at her portions and was quite impressed!

Attention, the following question contains a ****spoiler****

One question, though: The poor dying fellow to be met at the first entrance to Nashkell... is he only there to hand over some herbs? sad.gif When first listening to his last words I thought he tries to tell me of some conspiracy, giving a name, saying he was poisoned. But then there is no more connection to that man, and no question option to Juoma to ask about it. (Or maybe I didn't get it. Who is Seniyad?) Was this planned to be a part of some kind of bigger mod (including a quest)? smile.gif
Baronius
Glad to hear you have tried out the mod! smile.gif

Actually he is there to hand over the herbs he stole from Seniyad... you can meet him in Cloakwood, you should have met him when you have played Baldur's Gate...
So no, no quest. This can be considered negative... but would it be better if the player could find the bunch of herbs on the ground...

The original plan was to place these herbs to different parts of the game and it would have depended on the player if (s)he could have collected all of them or just some of them... but this would have required much more work and the mod is just an add-in after all... so I released it.
jastey
Ah, now I checked the walkthrough for Seniyad, all right.

I understand your motivation to make (and release) the mod like this, but for me the impression of "OK, this was a scene to hand over the herbs" was rather strong. And, call me a weirdo, but I find it really hard to be confronted with such a situation (poisoned man, giving a name, dying) without any chance of helping him, or e.g. confronting the responsibles (Seniyad, when he will be met in Cloakwood.). I guess I would have preferred to find the herbs on the ground... Best would be of course to find the herbs throughout the game, as you mentioned. So, if any changes are planned for the next releases I would appreciate it. smile.gif (To think about a possible quest is a nice thing for the integration in the BG1 Questpack, BTW.)

EDIT: I think I would prefer if the man hands over the herbs - saying he stole them from Seniyad, now being afraid of his revenge. (He would then diasappear, leaving no decission option for the player.) Then a small remark from Seniyad could be implemented, if the group still has some of the herbs when meeting him. Maybe Seniyad gives some herbs as a reward if the PC helped him fight the unfriendly hunter. And an option to ask Juoma whether the stolen herbs are from her could be included. Just a thought. smile.gif
Red Carnelian
I've been playing this and I think its a great idea. Just to let you know the MOD is compatible with the Dark Side Revision MOD from the Chosen of Mystra forums. smile.gif
Baronius
Glad to hear you liked it! smile.gif

It is also good that it's compatible with Dark Side Revision, I suppose this is the mod that is called 'Darkside of the Swordcoast' on the CoM forums, isn't it?
Striving for compatibility has always been a primary guideline when developing my mods.
jastey
Hi!
Can you tell me when will the German version be online available? smile.gif
Baronius
If you mean the BG1 Herbs-Addin version with the new German translation: I hope I can release it in a few weeks. smile.gif
jastey
Isn't it all ready, i.e. is there still much to do? A release within a few days would be so much cooler; there are at least two people waiting to play it. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Just realized you got the translation yesterday/today. I thought it was earlier... wacko.gif
Baronius
No, there is not too much to do with it, in fact there is nothing to do with Herbs Addin except updating the package, uploading it and updating web (which require time). I'm very busy with other things, not related to the Black Wyrm's Lair.
jastey
QUOTE(Baronius @ May 23 2006, 12:48 AM)
I'm very busy with other things, not related to the Black Wyrm's Lair.

I know, only wanted to stress the interest and make you a bad concience and stuff. smile.gif
Baronius
I managed to update the package and website, please test if the installer works.
leahnkain
I would love to include this in Classic Adventures. Baronius would it be possible to use it in CA?
Baronius
Do you mean including the Herbs and Potions mod in Classic Adventures? Doesn't CA only adapt original P&P modules? (This isn't a "no" answer, I'm just wondering, a bit confused. smile.gif)
leahnkain
Sorry to take so long to reply. We still have stores and towns where you can get supplies. It is a completely new world. It is basically like BG but with a new storyline, the old PNP quests and no Bhaal. (Please try CA I would love to have a skilled modders feedback)I would like to use them for a NPC who could make something for the PC if the PC had the proper items.
leahnkain
Basically we would still have to place the herbs in the world and create a new shop. We are seeking premission to use the item files and how to create each potion an ditem. Cheers!
Baronius
I'm not satisfied with certain parts/aspects of the mod, but instead of rewriting/modifying it, I would like to make a new Herbs mod one day. A better and bigger one. So I don't really support this mod any more, however, since you like the recipes/items, I give my consent for reuse and change (with a small request, detailed in a later part of this post).

A few things that you might want to know (or you already know):
* A few items might be a bit overpowered (even according to my rules tongue.gif) -- of course, you can tone them down
* Erephine altered/replaced the BAMs of herbs, there is a topic somewhere in the Spelhold Studios forum (if I remember correctly, Erephine even updated the item files too)
* Scripts and content was made for BG1, so the content of the BG2/BGTutu edition might not be optimal for BG2 use, but this isn't a problem, as you will use only parts of the mod and you can always rewrite things where needed

In the credits, you can just write "herbs based on Baronius' items" or something similar (i.e. appropriate). It's unnecessary to provide a link to the Herbs mod (as I said, I don't support it any longer, and want to make a new mod). Of course, I wouldn't like to take credit for something I didn't make, that's why I've written "appropriate" above. So, for example, if only a few herbs are based on my stuff, just write "certain herbs are based on...", etc.

Now my request:

As I said, feel free to reuse the content of the Herbs and Potions mod (any parts of it), you can even change/alter any items and content. Just please write a (short) summary about the changes and altered content, I am just curious and would like to see the result (as I'm sure that some ideas/content can be extended or modified nicely -- I made the Herbs mod in a relatively short time, and didn't consider everything carefully to achieve the best result). It's enough to create this summary only before the release -- feel free to publicly post it here at BWL, no need for a PM or email (provided it doesn't include content that you don't want to reveal, e.g. surprise to CA players -- in this case, use PM). I ask for this summary because I don't think I can play CA in the near future sad.gif. I usually don't play any mods except when it's a BWL mod to be tested, but even that's a rare event (I'm usually busy with a big BWL project -- when I have continuous free time for IE modding).
leahnkain
Thank you so much!!! I will probably alter the bams for the potions in the future. I can give you the new potion bottles if we do so. In the next few days I will see to it that either myself or SirBillyBob post what we have altered. I actually noticed Erephine's new bams and then hunted for your mod. We of course will happily make sure that we mention that we have based our add in on you mod. Thank you once again for making this.
Zaghoul
Just joined after happening across this mod. An old mod for sure but I am enjoying it. It runs quite well on BGEEV2.3+SoD.
Thanks
thumb.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.