Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So far, soooooooo good.
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > The Grey Clan Episode One: In Candlelight
Sohlside
I've barely scratched the surface of the IC mod thus far but I wanted to say to all involved how much I am enjoying it. My two fave LAN partners (and huge fans of BG1) are my two nephews who are 10 and 12. We are what most consider conservative Christians so it can be a challenge to find games with content we are comfortable with.

I was playing this past Friday night with the 10 year old and we triggered the start of Last Breath (which I have since replaced with In Candlelight obviously). I was embarassed to see profanity unnecessarily show up. It wasn't a huge ordeal but it definately made us pause and give each other one of those "What the heck" sort of looks. Fortunately, he is mature for his age and didn't see the humor in the dialog any more than I did so we moved on -only slightly more guarded- with our game.

Saturday I went looking for current patches and such for the mod since I realized I had installed it in the Summer of 05 and nearly forgotten about it due to my schedule soon after. Long story short.. I found the IC revision and did what was necessary to get it in my game and I was so very impressed. The needless profanity is gone!

I am so excited and am eager to tell my nephew that I can now give his parents a thumbs up on letting him install it on his own machine. I know this probably seems a little thing to some of you reading this but that one revision means a lot to me. I don't know why it was changed but I thank you that it was.

And all the other stuff is awesome too. wink.gif
Rabain
Personally I don't see the need for real-world profanity in any mod. Especially when you have such tasty gods and goddesses to profane in new and interesting ways. By Clangeddins hairy armpits and so on!

I guess this is why most sci-fi/fantasy tv creates new profanities - frac, frell etc

Anyway yes, I'll second that it was a nice touch for the update!
jastey
*is sad that she doesn't know what profanity the talk is about* sad.gif
Baronius
Sohlside is right in what he writes about Last Breath. To answer jastey's question: a bandit's name included a word. Its meaning is what the "whoa that was a stinker" bandit statement implies.
QUOTE(Sohlside)
I am so excited and am eager to tell my nephew that I can now give his parents a thumbs up on letting him install it on his own machine. I know this probably seems a little thing to some of you reading this but that one revision means a lot to me. I don't know why it was changed but I thank you that it was.

And all the other stuff is awesome too. smile.gif

Thanks a lot for your compliments! I cut it out for the new edition because I think that these things just don't fit the world of IE games (they don't fit the tales, legends, medieval/classic fantasy world that I prefer), and they make a mod low.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.