Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interjection during Quest
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > BG1 Quest Pack
Mathrim Cauthon
Would it be possible to give the NPC some interjection during the new quests, as there is in BG2 and in BG1 NPC ? I know this would need a lot of works, since there are many NPC in BG1, and that it may not work with original BG1, but it would make the mod still more interesting.

Well, that's just a suggestion unsure.gif
SirLancelot
You donīt have Tutu installed, have you? BG1NPC brings tons of banters packed with it.

Anyway, i think it could be implemented, but iīm fairly sure that Baronius would be glad to do it if you write the banters for him. (the text, not the code) Donīt forget BG1QuestPack features: 100 quest are a not a joke! wink.gif
Baronius
It is not possible, because BG1QP must be compatible with original BG1 either where there are no BG2-type banters (several players don't use Tutu). However I remember several banters in BG1 too (Jaheira-Khalid, druids-Jaheira etc. etc.) -- could such be added to BG1QP AND would work both with Tutu and stock BG1?

Btw BG1NPC project adds a lot of excellent banters, so if it is not possible in BG1QP, players don't have to fear! Btw BG1QP is planned to be compatible with BG1NPC, I think it doesn't need anything special but we'll talk about this with the BG1NPC authors anyway!
Salk
I have always wondered why people would want to mistify Baldur's Gate's original look and status. The fix packs and the modding are more than welcome. They are useful and have a meaning. But I would never install BG1TuTu on my PC. I have played both Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2. I just say here: I am playing number one over and over considering it a great masterpiece. I have played the sequel a couple of times and then I even sold it. It simply couldnt compare. It was not possible to even share the same shelf together with A+ quality games. That's my opinion, of course just to mean Baronius is totally right pointing out that there are many players that don't use BG1TuTu...Thanks again Baronius! wink.gif
Baronius
Right, we're making our mods BG1Tutu-compatible because lots of players play BG1Tutu. The most of these people are from the (new) generation which has started with BG2. Those who have been there from the beginning (BG1), like me, have different viewpoint usually. I still find BG1 better in graphical respect as well (beside a lot of other things).
jastey
On my computer, BG1 has a resolution that gives me a window of the size of a stamp, with a sight-radius of approx. 5 "ingame-meter". I like the BG1 graphic, too, but playing under these conditions is rather inconvenient. Still I like the talk-options of BGII, and sometimes it's more fun to mod for BGII because of the additional triggers. Let's say it like this: Modding for BG1 is sometimes far more challenging. tongue.gif

On topic: We have to discuss in the team whether we will include NPC reactions to the quests. For someone playing BG1 original version they would be strange, as there are none in the rest of the game. For someone playing the Tutu-version with installed BG1 NPC project the missing interjections would be strange. Maybe there's a way to make this optional - or only for the Tutu version. (We have a double-Thread to this topic, so I'm kind of repeating myself. smile.gif )
Salk
Hello! My two cents opinion, as usual...Interaction per se is a great thing. But I play only the original BG1 game with fixpacks and Mods and I love it the way it is. I play with my own party (I create my own six characters then I start a "virtual" multiplayer session so that I can really have a party I am fond of) so I am missing all the subquests and dialogues that are related to the NPC who can join the party. I think that working of NPC banters is not bad as general concept but it steps off the path of the original game. I feel like they would apply much more naturally to the sequel. The short of it is: I'd rather not put (a big, by the way) effort in that direction as some players, like me, would find such innovations out of place. There are many possibilities of doing such experiments on BG2. Baldurs Gate 1 has its own identity and background which, I think, should not be revolutionized. Thanks! wink.gif
Creepin
I just thought that an opposite opinion may be helpful somehow to keep things balansed rolleyes.gif

Well, I'm one of those fortunate, who was playing BG1 first, all this time when there was no BG2 at all wink.gif Yet while some aspects of gameplay was, IMO, better in BG1 and some - in BG2, it's rather obvious to me that GUI and engine as whole is implemented far better in sequel, so since the time when TuTu emerges it became the only way I was playing BG1. Furthermore, the fact that some things wasn't present in vanilla BG1 didn't mean that the game will be better without this things at all. BG1NPC is great in it's way, but it only adds interjections to already existing quests, so if new quests of QuestPack will lack them, it would be something... really sad rolleyes.gif
jastey
Thanks for your opinions, btw! As I said, we are aware of the fact that there are players favouring one or the other possibility. I'm sure we will find a satisfying solution to it. smile.gif
Domi
QUOTE(Salk @ Oct 26 2004, 07:51 AM)
Hello! My two cents opinion, as usual...Interaction per se is a great thing. But I play only the original BG1 game with fixpacks and Mods and I love it the way it is. I play with my own party (I create my own six characters then I start a "virtual" multiplayer session so that I can really have a party I am fond of) so I am missing all the subquests and dialogues that are related to the NPC who can join the party. I think that working of NPC banters is not bad as general concept but it steps off the path of the original game. I feel like they would apply much more naturally to the sequel. The short of it is: I'd rather not put (a big, by the way) effort in that direction as some players, like me, would find such innovations out of place. There are many possibilities of doing such experiments on BG2. Baldurs Gate 1 has its own identity and background which, I think, should not be revolutionized. Thanks!  wink.gif

I find difficult to understand the nature of your complaint - if you are playing with your own party, why do you object to the mods that add extended dialogue content? It does not effect you as a player at all.

Other players, like me, are attracted to BGI joinable characters and want to know more about them. Much more. Thus I want *more* banter in BGI, romances in BGI, interjections in BGI, new quests in BGI and 'filling the gaps' stories in BGI.

I believe that while BGII was an inferrior game to BGI, it had added the immersive potential BGI was starting to tap into; interjections are an integral part of this immersiveness, and they do not destroy BGI feel.

As a matter of fact, the very first interjections were introduced in BGI, not BGII. For example, druids in Claockwood recognised and speaked to Jaheira/Faldorn. Berrun recognised Khalid, Jaheira, Xzar and Montaron. Angelo recognised and speaked to Shar-Teel.

And honestly, do install TUTU. It would give you better resolution, path finding and missile stacking. That is well worth converting for. The rest (like kitting PC and NPCs and installing TUTU compatible mods for additional content) is optional, and depend on every person's preference. Now, if you just want more of the same, stick to bug fixes. Because every other mod, quest or dialogue-based adds new NPCs and puts words in their mouth. Because, you know, they are supposed to represent living beings, not target practice and meatshields.
jastey
As we can see: Different opinions all around. I think we all agree that using BG1Tutu and adding all the extra banters and dialogues by mods actually *does* change the appearance of the game - because if it wouldn't, why would you take the effort? wink.gif

But whether it is altered for better or for worse is a decision purely based on opinion and taste of the player, and here everyone has it's own preferences, which he / she doesn't need to justify at all. (That's the good thing about taste: You can't argue about it! It's just something personal. smile.gif )

The disussion whether BG1Tutu and extra dialogues should be used or not is a very interesting discussion, as there are good arguments for both ways of playing BG1: original or altered, and I guess there could be threads filled with discussing this - although not this one, please. wink.gif The original question was whether the BG1 Questpack will introduce NPC-reactions to the added quests, and your stated opinions help us to find a good solution here. smile.gif
Salk
As we can see: Different opinions all around. I think we all agree that using BG1Tutu and adding all the extra banters and dialogues by mods actually *does* change the appearance of the game - because if it wouldn't, why would you take the effort? wink.gif

Exactly! We all agree about that! The fact is that we dont need/want (I speak for myself and people who share my same point of view) Baldur's Gate to become Baldur's Gate 2. That's just another game. It's a sequel and obviously there are many things in common the first installment. I even dare say there are a couple of things that I would classify as improvements but overall I feel like it's been a step backwards. The atmosphere, the challenge, the plot of Baldur's Gate 1 are definitely unmatched. Even the graphic itself which is considered so much better (whereas some thinks BG1's is outdated...) is nothing special according to me. The beauty of the forests and of the dungeons or the small touches of real art one can see and admire in the scenarios of Baldurs Gate 1 are not present anymore or, perhaps, are no more so fascinating. The only really good option was, as I mentioned, that one can play up to 800x600.

But whether it is altered for better or for worse is a decision purely based on opinion and taste of the player, and here everyone has it's own preferences, which he / she doesn't need to justify at all. (That's the good thing about taste: You can't argue about it! It's just something personal. smile.gif )

That's true, but just partly! One might discuss where the borders of art and the limits of kitch lay, we might discuss whether or not something is objectively beautiful or awful. I believe that not everything can be appreciated by everybody. When you go watching a movie, when you read a book, when you play a game (our case), there are several layers of introspection. One might stop at the surface, one might dig deeper and get more of it. One might know how "to read it", one might not.

The disussion whether BG1Tutu and extra dialogues should be used or not is a very interesting discussion, as there are good arguments for both ways of playing BG1: original or altered, and I guess there could be threads filled with discussing this - although not this one, please. wink.gif The original question was whether the BG1 Questpack will introduce NPC-reactions to the added quests, and your stated opinions help us to find a good solution here. smile.gif

As I mentioned, I believe the extra effort is not worth it. I know that things wouldnt change directly for me because I would not take advantage nor limitations by having NPC reactions implemented to added quests. I just speak trying to estimate the enormous amount of extra work (plus possible extra bugs to find and correct) such a choice would bring and if I was in the author's shoes I wouldnt just bother. And if somebody things that the extra banters and interactions are the only factors that gives depth to a game well...I can just say I totally disagree. Thanks!
jastey
blink.gif Sorry if you felt offended by my post! I actually tried to post something that gives way to your *and* Domi's opinion.
The amount of additional modding for such NPC interjections wouldn't be that great, btw, but you are right with the debugging, of course. tongue.gif
OK, you stated your opinion, Domi and others stated theirs, and we will try to comfort you all. This is possible, don't worry.

I'm repeating my plea of keeping this thread on topic. smile.gif Thanks!
SimDing0
QUOTE(Salk @ Oct 27 2004, 11:43 AM)
And if somebody things that the extra banters and interactions are the only factors that gives depth to a game well...I can just say I totally disagree. Thanks!

It's not the only factor that adds depth, but surely you can't argue that it actually detracts from the game? And if it doesn't detract, why not have it there?
Domi
As I mentioned, I believe the extra effort is not worth it. I know that things wouldnt change directly for me because I would not take advantage nor limitations by having NPC reactions implemented to added quests. I just speak trying to estimate the enormous amount of extra work (plus possible extra bugs to find and correct) such a choice would bring and if I was in the author's shoes I wouldnt just bother. And if somebody things that the extra banters and interactions are the only factors that gives depth to a game well...I can just say I totally disagree. Thanks!

As Jastey have mentioned the amount of work is not significant - it is not about adding an interjection for all 25 NPCs after each responce (which is indeed an enormous and unnecessary undertaking), but about adding it where it counts, so that your noble ranger did not just stand there when you have chosen to slaughter the village, their flocks and burn forests and houses. It is handled with ease by WeiDU - you either use CHAIN when responding or EXTERN into NPC's responce adding in extra PC choice when coding - it's as easy as an apple pie for even a below-average coder, such as I.

It will give people whose opinion differs from yours something that they are looking for - a party of living, breathing NPCs, not meatshields in IWD style.
IMO, the quest pack will loose out significantly if it does not account for NPCs personality, even if they take a narrow spectrum of the most popular NPCs (Imoen, Jaheira+Kh, Kivan, Branwen, Minsc+Dyn).

Does not it make you cringe when the non-joinable NPCs have more personality than joinable? That's a very bad inconsistency in the game environment. Nobody says that banters and interactions is the *only* factor - but it is a huge and a *very* important factor for those who prefer non-solo or quazi-solo (silent but deadly NPC) campagning.

It also will not change the game-play of the power-gamers and solo-campaigners. It won't slow down the mod release. So why not???

If writing is the problem I will gladly invest my time to help writing for this particular purpose. Heck, I will help with coding if that is *the* problem (once I am done with BG1NPC).

But please, please, do not discard the option that will beautify and enliven the pack; do not go backward on what the community had acheived by developping the excellent dialogue tools and the high standard for dialogue writing.
Domi
And another one - especially for Salk...

I love BG1. I loved it the day I saw it for the first time in 1999. I did not like BGII as much. This is the reason why I was fanatically working on BG1NPC project for two years; there were times when the hope was all but lost, there are times, when it feels like it's not worth it (just like you said - it's a great game; why bother?).

But than after hours on end of coding and debugging, I open up the game and...

I cannot tell you that it makes a huge, impactual difference...

I wish I could show it to you, how it feels when Imoen cries on Gorion's grave.

I wish I could show how it feels when Xzar tries to take away Carsa's jar or when Kivan confronts Tazok. Or when Coran gets punched into his gface by Durlyle...

I wish I could show you how all these smallest and the silliest things put together make it... not BGII. They make it amazing.
Salk
blink.gif Sorry if you felt offended by my post! I actually tried to post something that gives way to your *and* Domi's opinion.

No,no,not at all! I am sorry if I had used words that might have made you think so!! smile.gif I was not offended by your post at all! Absolutely! I found it intelligent and conciliating! So thanks for it! I just meant to say (in short), that since BGQuestPack is *already* a huge project (which I know I will love - thanks again in advance!! biggrin.gif) I would avoid extra days of hard work debugging and checking everything works smoothly and perfectly. Perhaps NPC interactions would not mean a huge extra work but I just think of me playing BG1 with some mods on. I found the most bugs in dialogues scripts. Perhaps I am a little prejudiced here... tongue.gif But of course I want the team to feel free of developing a mod that will be liked and loved by all the community. Thanks!
Salk
QUOTE(Domi @ Oct 27 2004, 02:04 PM)
And another one - especially for Salk...

I love BG1. I loved it the day I saw it for the first time in 1999. I did not like BGII as much. This is the reason why I was fanatically working on BG1NPC project for two years; there were times when the hope was all but lost, there are times, when it feels like it's not worth it (just like you said - it's a great game; why bother?).

But than after hours on end of coding and debugging, I open up the game and...

I cannot tell you that it makes a huge, impactual difference...

I wish I could show it to you, how it feels when Imoen cries on Gorion's grave.

I wish I could show how it feels when Xzar tries to take away Carsa's jar or when Kivan confronts Tazok. Or when Coran gets punched into his gface by Durlyle...

I wish I could show you how all these smallest and the silliest things put together make it... not BGII. They make it amazing.

Dear Demi, I am not at all against what you prospect in your post! smile.gif Not at all! I am a RPG fan and I have been such for many years and believe me: every RPG *loves* interaction! I do believe it's a very important side of any RPG and it does add depth to it. What I don't like are essentially two things when it comes to Baldurs Gate 1. First: one must have a specific party member in the group at a specific place (perhaps specific time) to just have something happen. I never liked so much dispersion and I do think we are in front of a big dispersion here. I cannot play the game one hundred times to see if NPC X will just do something or start a new dialogue *if* I am in Area Y. Second: sometimes dialogues banters can, like in Baldurs Gate 2, worsen the overall feeling of the game. I am not so fond of romances and other situations when the game reminds me of a reality show. I love a good, well written dialogue and I thought that with fixpacks on, Baldurs Gate 1 was superior to its sequel *even* under that aspect. But I do take your and many other's point: you are right to write your own opinions here and I am happy to confront and discuss mine with you all. I just want to say "sorry" to jastey if I had, once more, pushed this OT forward. Thanks and good luck to the developing team! wub.gif
Domi
I am a RPG fan and I have been such for many years and believe me: every RPG *loves* interaction!

Out of curiosity, a piece of trivia:

Do you know that you can select kits and classes for your BG1 original characters with TUTU?
Do you know that you can ajust their stats, classes, portraits etc whichever way you want with simple modding tools?
Now, knowing this, why do you still prefer the multiplayer NPCs who say nothing but their select sounds?

First: one must have a specific party member in the group at a specific place (perhaps specific time) to just have something happen. I never liked so much dispersion and I do think we are in front of a big dispersion here. I cannot play the game one hundred times to see if NPC X will just do something or start a new dialogue *if* I am in Area Y.

I think you have mistook the point - the point is not to see 'all that could possibly happen'. The point is to saturate game so that no matter what is your party's composition, you get interesting and sometimes unexpected dialogue options.

Some people do play mods to collect every nugget of the 'new' content. I do not share this POV. I believe in seeing what comes naturally while playing. Except when I am testing, of course.

The BW's pack takes any NPC restrictions on content away, by gearing all quests to 'always happening'. Adding a line or two in would not rob a single-campaign player, but will reward the traditional party-player.

Second: sometimes dialogues banters can, like in Baldurs Gate 2, worsen the overall feeling of the game. I am not so fond of romances and other situations when the game reminds me of a reality show.

Yes, but the other side of the coin is that they can improve it as well. True, you might not like a specifique NPC interpretation. But the one that 'clicks' would make the experience of playing with that NPC incredibly rewarding.

I assume that 'romance' was your example of the banter that worsens the feeling of the game?

Again, I think you are mixing up the "have to" and "can, if I chose to" ideas. They are optional, both in BGII and in the mods. It is actually a huge improvment over books, where no matter what you, reader, want the characters would fall in love with each-other (or not, whetever the author's preference). I love romances. I assume that anyone who does not can click that "I am sorry, but I do not want to romance you" option in the player-initiated dialogues. One click is all it takes. Any time you want.

BTW, romances in BGII was one (if not the) most popular features. Mods helped many a female player to avoid the love-hate releationship with Anomen smile.gif
NiGHTMARE
I should probably point out that romance came into existence hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of years before reality TV shows came into existence, and the people involved in said romance were not confined by scripts tongue.gif.

Also, the typical reality TV "romance" basically consists of a couple of lusty looks between the concerned parties, one of them saying 'lets shag!' to the other, the act, and both of them regretting it afterwards. None of the BG2 or BG1NPC romances particularly take this path! smile.gif
Domi
Heh, I agree, but I think the main thing is still to please both those who does and does not like a particular feature. And it can only be achieved by the elective presence of the content. And of course there is a point where it's better when everyone is behaiving reasonable by getting what they want without forbidding the other party their enjoyement. smile.gif

And I think in this particular case, putting interjections from party members in is that happy case when it suits both party-player and solo-player.
Salk
Out of curiosity, a piece of trivia:

Do you know that you can select kits and classes for your BG1 original characters with TUTU?
Do you know that you can ajust their stats, classes, portraits etc whichever way you want with simple modding tools?
Now, knowing this, why do you still prefer the multiplayer NPCs who say nothing but their select sounds?

Sorry to disappoint, Demi, but I would still walk the "old" way. I am indeed aware of the changes that TuTu might bring to Baldurs Gate 1. That's why I do not intend to install it. The fact that one can adjust stats,classes and choose among kits doesnt make it an improvement, in my opinion. I spent days (no kidding) rolling dice when I created my own characters. I played fair and I put up a party I am very proud of. I didnt need to cheat or anything of the sort to have real champions. I play Baldurs Gate in such a way that if my leader dies, the game ends. I start it over. I still stick to AD&D Rules 2nd Edition. There has been many modifications since but we must remember that not every change is automatically an improvement over the past. I find the world created by Baldurs Gate fascinating beyond measure with no need of added interactions among NPC. I am sorry I am such a stubborn person and by no means I intend to say I am on the right side. What I do mean is this: I welcome modifications that are made in the spirit of preserving, keeping and enduring the atmosphere, the background, the "tradition" of the original Baldur's Gate. I cannot welcome what revolutions the original concept of the game itself. The original concept has, in my opinion, created a wonderful balance. Such balance could easily be overthrown by external add-ons. Baldur's Gate has/had only some small problems to be addressed/fixed and that's been already done largely (Baldurdash, Dudleyville). Its world can be expanded profitably but only if the expansions are made keeping the original idea and concept in mind. These two are, in my opinon, the two ways to follow: bugfixing and modding. I don't need the graphic of Baldurs Gate 2. I don't want it actually. But I realize it could be me being strange.

I think you have mistook the point - the point is not to see 'all that could possibly happen'. The point is to saturate game so that no matter what is your party's composition, you get interesting and sometimes unexpected dialogue options

Ditto. My limit. I do get your point and I do agree when it comes to playing RPG around a table with dice and pen. Nevertheless I can't share the same feelings when I play a computer game. When I play a computer game I want it to put me in a situation when I dont need, out of curiosity, to play it hundreds times to see what it could have happened. I want it to take me through a world where I do feel I took the best steps and dont need to regret my actions if they are not been stupid. Some games are meant to be played over and over (Pro Evolution Soccer, for instance... wink.gif ) and others should not have such goal but be more like a "one time experience". The mods can give new life to such masterpieces but I ask you: why should I benefit of a nice subquest just because I have in my party a member that one other doesnt ? Do I have a special merit for it ? Did I play better ? Is it fair I cannot "live" such emotions for a reason that cant be considered my fault during the game ? I wonder if you can get my point but I hope so. Thanks!
Domi
Sorry to disappoint, Domi, but I would still walk the "old" way. I am indeed aware of the changes that TuTu might bring to Baldurs Gate 1. That's why I do not intend to install it. The fact that one can adjust stats,classes and choose among kits doesnt make it an improvement, in my opinion. I spent days (no kidding) rolling dice when I created my own characters. I played fair and I put up a party I am very proud of. I didnt need to cheat or anything of the sort to have real champions. I play Baldurs Gate in such a way that if my leader dies, the game ends. I start it over. I still stick to AD&D Rules 2nd Edition.

Again your logic eludes me. You believe it 'cheating' to tweak the stats of NPCs a bit, while rolling dice 'for days' to create the your custom 'most fitting' NPCs is not?

I would have understood your critisism of 'tweaking' if you just rolled the dice once and invented the character who fit the role and gave him/her an interesting backstory... Or created a story about NPC and then created a CRE that fitted it. What you have spent days on using the IE (Infinity Engine that Bio uses), modding tool NI (NearInfinity created by a fan) you can do it in 2 minutes instead of 'rolling' the dice till you get your 94 perfect points score and a headache.

In both cases it's you and only you who controls what NPC ended up to be - '18 where it counts' dummies or stats distributed to fit characters biographies and profiles. I *gasp* reduced my rolls via a modding tool when I was creating a custom NPC. Because I trusted myself, rather than the 'random number generator'

There has been many modifications since but we must remember that not every change is automatically an improvement over the past. I find the world created by Baldurs Gate fascinating beyond measure with no need of added interactions among NPC.

No, you are not against 'added interactions' What you do not like in truth are BG1's original NPCs. Who are the part of the original game and the original world. I do not think you can argue that. No matter what campaign you play they are there. Always. The game was designed to be played with them and learn about them.

I welcome modifications that are made in the spirit of preserving, keeping and enduring the atmosphere, the background, the "tradition" of the original Baldur's Gate.

Meaning narrowly 'solo/quazi-solo campaign' and excluding what made the game unique - the cast of BioWARE made NPCs .

I cannot welcome what revolutions the original concept of the game itself. The original concept has, in my opinion, created a wonderful balance. Such balance could easily be overthrown by external add-ons. Baldur's Gate has/had only some small problems to be addressed/fixed and that's been already done largely (Baldurdash, Dudleyville). Its world can be expanded profitably but only if the expansions are made keeping the original idea and concept in mind. These two are, in my opinon, the two ways to follow: bugfixing and modding. I don't need the graphic of Baldurs Gate 2. I don't want it actually. But I realize it could be me being strange.

Mod stands for 'modification'. People argue till they froth in their mouth what is 'acceptable' and what is 'not acceptable' level of modding. What makes your post 'different' is that you exclude the original Bio NPCs from the list of original Bio content. You have a strong preference for Quest and Fix-it modules. You are not alone. But you are not a single target for modders everywhere either. So some quaint modders like I will be spending 40 hours a week on making NPC related mods tongue.gif And arguing that their MODZ art Z GREATYYYST.

Ditto. My limit. I do get your point and I do agree when it comes to playing RPG around a table with dice and pen. Nevertheless I can't share the same feelings when I play a computer game. When I play a computer game I want it to put me in a situation when I dont need, out of curiosity, to play it hundreds times to see what it could have happened.

Uhm... and that is why you aim to fobidd work that increases one of the most cherished features of any game - replayability? You prefer BG1 as static solo campaign you played once and for all. Yet you want more quests added to it. But nothing using the original NPC cast. I understand. That's your recipy for a good mod. Go, do one if you have it in you. Find the ones that suit your taste. I do not object that you do. I object that you pretend to be a 'purist' and 'should' the modders.

I want it to take me through a world where I do feel I took the best steps and dont need to regret my actions if they are not been stupid.

Right. Well, I have news for you. You are a power gamer. There is no need to be ashamed of it, you know. Others are way more curious and want their PC rewarded and punished for taking sides by their party members. I want to see if doing a particular thing in the game would tick off Jaheira or make Kivan smile. IF I have Jaheira or Kivan in the party. I am not going to run around changing NPC cast before I lift my leg by a particular tree.

Some games are meant to be played over and over (Pro Evolution Soccer, for instance... ) and others should not have such goal but be more like a "one time experience".

Yakes. Thanks a million. Soccer *shudders*

The mods can give new life to such masterpieces but I ask you: why should I benefit of a nice subquest just because I have in my party a member that one other doesnt ?

Because it's not about you, silly. It's about the NPC. In a good CRPG NPC is not a meatshield and has a simulated life of his/her own. So her biography says "was abducted and turned into stone by a mage T." it is to be expected that when we meet the mage T she'd go beserk. The more complex NPC is, the more complex would be the story that evolves around him/her. It's called character development.

Do I have a special merit for it? Did I play better?

No, no special merit. BG1 is not a competitive sport, ya know. Nobody is going to give you a gold medal for completing every quest in the game using Dudley's checklist. Gaming is about enjoyement, not scoring per se.

What happens with NPC-based add-ons is that if you were intersted in the NPC more than the next player, you got to know him or her better (NPC, not player).

Is it fair I cannot "live" such emotions for a reason that cant be considered my fault during the game?

Fault? Missing a quest is somehow a player's fault? Do you expect to be punished by someone for it? You are starting to seriously scare me.

I wonder if you can get my point but I hope so.

I got your point, and it is addressed very easily: BG1NPC is not a mod for you. BW Quest Pack is. However, there is no way that interjections in the Quest Pack (interjections being character's reactions) going to affect your game. You will get your checklist all filled out, do not worry.

Thanks!

My pleasure.
Salk
Again your logic eludes me. You believe it 'cheating' to tweak the stats of NPCs a bit, while rolling dice 'for days' to create the your custom 'most fitting' NPCs is not?

There is a perfect logic here. The gaming rules *allow* the player to roll dice as much as he wants but *doesn't allow* kits and stats modification. Simple. I might be a bit nuts but I imagine the rolling of the dice like the evaluation of champions which should form an elite party. This is because they're gonna do something big, you know. happy.gif

No, you are not against 'added interactions' What you do not like in truth are BG1's original NPCs. Who are the part of the original game and the original world. I do not think you can argue that. No matter what campaign you play they are there. Always. The game was designed to be played with them and learn about them.

Yes, I dont like the BG1 original characters for I dont feel them as really mine. I need characters to stay permanently in my group. But its not true that the game was designed only to be played with them and learn about them. As you can see, I play the game without them and the game itself lets me do it. It's just a choice.

Meaning narrowly 'solo/quazi-solo campaign' and excluding what made the game unique - the cast of BioWARE made NPCs .

Well, you see...I see my party as a "single" entity which is facing an adventure. You think of it as a group of individuals with different perspectives and backgrounds. My party is together for a reason I myself invented and have a background I have set for them (there is a biography one might write just for that). It's a bit sad, you are right, to see them not develop their own life *during* the game too but this is a sacrifice I had to take to have me really enjoy the game to the fullest.

I object that you pretend to be a 'purist' and 'should' the modders.

No,not at all! I just think that some modifications are going against the spirit of the game itself whereas others just expand the world of Baldur's Gate the way it was meant. Bioware's NPCs are there to either be joined or not. I decided to not do it and I miss part of the fun. But still I move in the boundaries of the game concept. If you just introduce kits or stats modifications or just convert the game engine in something that doesn't belong to it, well...The least I can say is just that Baldur's Gate is not Baldur's Gate any longer.

Right. Well, I have news for you. You are a power gamer. There is no need to be ashamed of it, you know. Others are way more curious and want their PC rewarded and punished for taking sides by their party members. I want to see if doing a particular thing in the game would tick off Jaheira or make Kivan smile.

Well, I might be a power gamer but you are probably one of those that, to see and not miss anything or any NPCs reaction, would load the game thouasands of time "just to see what happens if I choose line number 3 in the dialogue instead of number 2". The game would lose much of its charm and atmosphere if I would want to play it over and over just to see how NPCs or different choices would bring in. It would be like dismantling it piece by piece. It would spoil it, in short. The sense of epic would fall before my eyes and so the feeling I am living something "unique". Of course with modding, I would start the game again eventually and I will find myself before situations I already know. But the choices there would be the same.

Yakes. Thanks a million. Soccer *shudders*

It was just an example to mean that some games are built to be played over and over while others are not. Baldur's Gate is not. That's not something under dispute, I think. Baldur's Gate is meant to give "one time fantastic experience" because it's undeniable that the feelings would not be the same in the rerun. You would know what it's gonna happen. You would know how the plot "develops". You would know "what to do next" and what the consequences would be. Of course, one might just do it to see how new NPCs would fit into the game or to see what different dialogue's options would affect it. But thats just the sallad around the meat. The meat would be the same, no matter what.

Fault? Missing a quest is somehow a player's fault? Do you expect to be punished by someone for it? You are starting to seriously scare me.

It should be clear how I intend to play the game by now. For my own experience, expanding the game in such a way that quests can be obtained only by having a character in the party is a limitation. It's a limitation because this concept of NPCs sown reactions and dedicated subquests is an attempt to moke reality. NPCs are not the core of the game. The party is. What tha party is set up to is. Again, I intend the party to be a single entity and others simply do not.

Thanks!

P.S. I am a novice so I ignore how to move this OT I started with Demi somewhere else. I do not want to bother and piss others so if one of the moderators wishes to start a new topic where we can go on ( rolleyes.gif ), please be welcome.
Rabain
I think the pro's and con's of Interjections during quests have been discussed enough now! Everyone has their own idea of what is best for them and discussing it forever won't necessarily change that.

We will have interjections during quests by relevant NPc's, like jahiera commenting on a druid quest perhaps but I will point out that not having Jahiera in the party will not stop you from completing the quest. We are adding quests for the player to do not quests that are NPC specific. Some NPC's might have more to say on a quest topic than others but then thats only natural, having every NPC in the party comment on every quest would not be a good thing as far as I am concerned.

If you guys want to discuss this further feel free to continue the discussion on IRC (the link to Blackwyrms IRC chat is on the main site page) or in PM.

I thank everyone for their interest in the project, it's good to know there are some people looking forward to what we are doing!

Thanks guys!
Domi
QUOTE(Salk @ Oct 28 2004, 06:44 AM)
quotes

There is a perfect logic here. The gaming rules *allow* the player to roll dice as much as he wants but *doesn't allow* kits and stats modification. Simple. I might be a bit nuts but I imagine the rolling of the dice like the evaluation of champions which should form an elite party. This is because they're gonna do something big, you know. happy.gif

*Shrug* You know, it is a game that suppose to tease your imagination. Rules are there to serve your enjoyment, not to make you to serve the rules. Is there D&D police out there? Besides, iirc, 2ED D&D allows kitting. As for rolling stats for days - it is gambling of sorts, so if it entertains you - why not. I prefer playing the game to it, since I have very little time.

But its not true that the game was designed only to be played with them and learn about them. As you can see, I play the game without them and the game itself lets me do it. It's just a choice

A very important choice that makes Bg1 singulary different from IWD.

Well, you see...I see my party as a "single" entity which is facing an adventure.

you see them as an accessory to your PC, a bunch of golems. Try differently for once.

My party is together for a reason I myself invented and have a background I have set for them (there is a biography one might write just for that).

I know. I filled these windows up to the brims when playing IWD for my party. Out of curiosity - have you? I suspect that you did not. In this case 'for the reasons of their own' turns into the 'convenient set of abilities and stats'.

No,not at all! I just think that some modifications are going against the spirit of the game itself whereas others just expand the world of Baldur's Gate the way it was meant.

You contradict yourself here: you say "not at all" and then say that 'some modifications' are 'in the spirit' and the 'way it was meant'. To me it sounds like 'good' modifications and 'bad' ones.

But you are incorrect.

BG1 had always have party interactivity element, unlike IWD which was indeed 'meant' to have the player-created party with player-created NPCs. BG had the choice. And developpers clearly indicated their preference of interactive party over player-created by strengthening and augmenting this element in the sequel. If their prefernce was for player-created, they would not have done the loving character development of BG2.

If you just introduce kits or stats modifications or just convert the game engine in something that doesn't belong to it, well...The least I can say is just that Baldur's Gate is not Baldur's Gate any longer.

I think we understand differently what 'the game' meant. For me 'the game' is the story and the adventures. For you it is the version of the Infinity Engine. BG2 utilizes the same engine, that BG1. Next generation though.

And my biggest objection is that you do not *have* to use the 'logical' as opposite to 'mechanical' additions which BG2 version of infinity brings. You can still create single classed fighter, without using a kit.

It's a bit sad, you are right, to see them not develop their own life *during* the game too but this is a sacrifice I had to take to have me really enjoy the game to the fullest. Bioware's NPCs are there to either be joined or not. I decided to not do it and I miss part of the fun.

And I told you that you can have your cake and eat it too by slightly modifying the existing NPCs with personalities to fit your game's mechanics needs. Simple. Cheap. Efficient. Win-win situation.

Well, I might be a power gamer but you are probably one of those that, to see and not miss anything or any NPCs reaction, would load the game thouasands of time "just to see what happens if I choose line number 3 in the dialogue instead of number 2".

Nope. I play it the way it plays and see what I can see. I played BG1 twice and BG2 twice; ToB - once before going to modding. Now I obviously have to test every encounter a few times to see if the dialogue implemented properly. It annoys the living Hell out of me. I do not see a missed quest or a missed dialogue as something horrible. In BG2 I never did Edwin's or Jaheira's quests, because I did not like the characters... I did not die of that.

Baldur's Gate is not. That's not something under dispute, I think. Baldur's Gate is meant to give "one time fantastic experience" because it's undeniable that the feelings would not be the same in the rerun.

Actually it is. There are people who played BG2 dozens of times with different mods and different characters, doing quests in a different way. It is what gives the game replayability.

It should be clear how I intend to play the game by now. For my own experience, expanding the game in such a way that quests can be obtained only by having a character in the party is a limitation.

In my own experience playing the game with a party of highly-efficient zombies is a huge, horrible limitation. It's playing IWD, not BG.

It's a limitation because this concept of NPCs sown reactions and dedicated subquests is an attempt to moke reality.

So is any art form. As GRR Martin says - 'I am a liar' (ever read Martin btw? Fantastic books). The game itself is a horrible parody of reality. You do understand that, right?

NPCs are not the core of the game. The party is. What tha party is set up to is.

They are not equated to a plot, I agree, but they can sure make the plot much, much more fascinating. It is the difference between a book with the strong twisted plot but very weak pale characters, and the book which has both the strong, fascinated story realted by smashingly good, incredible characters. It is the difference between GRR Martin and some salvatore of the day.

P.S. I am a novice so I ignore how to move this OT I started with Demi somewhere else.

The name is Domi. Domi Sotto.

You know, after all is said and done (and Rabain, I am sorry for posting again.. maybe you can move these 2 last posts in General?) I am feeling that you are lobbying and fighting with the stubborness of an offended teenager for *my way is the right way* and *be away with your dirty modder's hands from the true spirit of BG1* because you have sold BG2 and do not want to buy it again to try TUTU. You have convinced yourself that BG2 is junk, and therefore, anything touched by it turns to junk by extension. I suggest that you try to get out of the 'spirit' of this argument and some time down the road do try TUTU. Honestly, it makes game more complex and fun smile.gif

I do not think I can convince you to try original NPCs... but they actually are wonderful, have beautiful stories fit to the setting and are a lovely bunch. And of course our team have put in well over thousand dialogues in banter, existing encounter expansions and added quests content which I like very much smile.gif
NiGHTMARE
There is a perfect logic here. The gaming rules *allow* the player to roll dice as much as he wants but *doesn't allow* kits and stats modification.

Actually, while the game may allow endless dice rolls, the actual gaming rules do not. The Player's Handbook describes six methods of using dice to generate your character's stats, none of which involve constantly rolling the dice until you've got the perfect score for every single stat.
SimDing0
The least I can say is just that Baldur's Gate is not Baldur's Gate any longer.

If that's all it comes down to, then it's a terribly weak argument. So what if you're not playing the game the developers intended, so long as it's more fun?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.