Basically, through a long and boring debate with myself (which is too long to quote), I have come to the conclusion that if I allow for a Player 1 in the IWD2 w joinable NPCs, s/he needs a backstory. I wanted something both flexible, and sufficient to create materials with a few conversations with each NPC. As it was already established that one of the NPCs is a leader (at least in the beginning), he is prominenbt in each of the backstories. Please, take a look, and let me know, which one is a more appealing story.

Bastard, Origins Unknown

You were raised in a Temple of Ilmater, in Luskan, one of the orphans without a name or a family. You were just pondering about your life and what to do with it, when a paladin, called Sir Nord, come to the temple and after a short deliberation with the Painbearer Bassilea, the two came to see you. “This man claims that he had sworn to care for you, and would take you away, to show you the world and teach you to fend for yourself,” Bassilea said. From her face, you could conclude that she doubted that the man is a fit teacher, and that the whole enterprise is a folly. Yet, it seemed that Sir Nord had had some right to do so, some connection to your past. So, you have chosen to follow him to the Icewind Dale.

(BUT! there will not be a revelation like -You are VERY special! It will pretty much boil down to the PC being a child of an old fighting comrade or something prosaic like that)

Bastard, Origins Established

You were raised in Luskan, in the household of Sir Rinaldo the Fierce. As you grew up, you have slowly given to understand that you were his natural child. He had brought you back from somewhere in the North as a babe, and bid his wife to rise with his trueborn children. This seems to be the reason why your father had given up his field assignments and had accepted a less glorious position with the Chapter of the Order in Luskan. Once fully grown, you wished to leave the city, and make your fortune in the lands where the circumstances of your birth did not matter. Your father agreed with your choice, and provided you with a purse of gold, a blessing and a letter to his old fighting comrade, Sir Nord, who could be found around the Ten Town in the Icewind Dale.

A Trueborn

The firstborn child of Sir Rinaldo the Fierce, you have been raised in the dotting household. Perhaps, too dotting, because in the past year your spirited nature manifested itself and you engaged into mischief that was brought to your father’s attention. Not too pleased, Sir Rinaldo had commanded you to his study. Instead of an upbraiding, all he had done is to hand over to you a purse of gold, a blessing and a letter to his old fighting comrade, Sir Nord, who could be found around the Ten Town in the Icewind Dale. “The North,” he had said, “will sort you out.” “Or kill…” your mother finished, weeping. But her tears did not stop your father, and you were sent on your way before the week was out, much to the dismay of your gentle sisters and envy of your two younger brothers.