Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Basilisk and petrification
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > Enhanced Creatures
aigleborgne
In the game, basilisk attacks by looking at their target (projectile type). Sometimes, they go melee with their claws.

Wouldn't it more logical that they always melee, and those who look at them would roll or be petrified? (they would autocast a spell every round that would affect nearby enemies)

I have already done this thing for the death gaze of the tanari.

I remembered a fight between Drizzt and a basilisk in the underdark. Basilisk was attacking him with his claws but Drizzt has protected his eyes with something.
Salk
I think that you're absolutely right about this. It seems logical that looking straight into the basilisks eyes would be a requirement for saving against petrification.

Instead, basilisks can petrify you even if you're looking away from them.

Not fair...So my suggestion is to apply exactly the same condition that come with the Tanari's gaze and let them attack melee.

The gaze should not be an active but a passive attack, so to say...

It's all completely different of course with other monsters like Beholders whose gaze is instead very active... rolleyes.gif
Rabain
You plan to simulate protecting ones eyes with a dice roll?

Is it possible to set the gaze so it only works if the npc is in front of the basilisk, much the way backstab works from behind?

How would the basilisk spell differentiate between the fighter attacking the basilisk and the mage standing behind him casting a spell?
aigleborgne
QUOTE(Rabain @ Dec 19 2005, 06:54 PM)
You plan to simulate protecting ones eyes with a dice roll?

Is it possible to set the gaze so it only works if the npc is in front of the basilisk, much the way backstab works from behind?

How would the basilisk spell differentiate between the fighter attacking the basilisk and the mage standing behind him casting a spell?

I can't really simulate the basilick gaze with a spell, but neither with a ranged weapon.

But I have more option with a spell.
I have made this:
autocast every round on a random target, with a small/average aera of effect

it is not possible to check the direction, so there is nothing I can do about this.

it can't differentiate, but usually, a mage is looking at this target when he cast a spell, doesn't he?
anyway, nothing can be perfect, especially with limitations of the infinity engine.

the good point is that now, basilic can attack you while using his petrification gaze.
no more level 1 fighter killing all basilics zone with a scroll of protection from petrification (hehe I did it, fast way to be level 7)

basilisks aren't good fighter, but greater basilisks are powerful and now dreadful with their new death gaze (poison gaze in P&P)
Salk
Hm...I overstimated the IE capability, it seems... happy.gif

I still believe aigleborgne's change is correct. Top would be if the autospell would be cast taking direction in consideration but I suppose it's impossible... sad.gif
Rabain
it can't differentiate, but usually, a mage is looking at this target when he cast a spell, doesn't he?

The problem with this is that the basilisk would target a mage that was not necessarily looking at it or any other enemy in the vicinity. Take for example the encounter in the wilderness were you meet that mad little mage with the pet basilisk. You would have to assume that the party will meet only a basilisk and never a basilisk together with another enemy.
aigleborgne
I know what you mean but my system is better than the old one.

When you meet a basilisk, you should be protected from petrification anyway. If you are not, old or new system, you have very little chance to survive.

With the old system, when you were protected, basilisk were free experience, because they rarely use their claws.
And you could send a single protected character on it, while the others were safety killing the monster.
Maybe, they weren't looking at it... but usually, they are.

Now, basilisk choose a random target and look at it, a small area around the target will save or be petrified.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.