Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removed items
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mods under development - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > Enhanced Creatures
aigleborgne
Hello,

For game balance, some items will be complelety removed.

I will list them here, so you can complaint with reasons if you disagree.

- Arrows of dispelling : having a free dispel magic that doesn't depend on level is overpowered by far. It would have negated all the work I did on casters. Even with level check, it's still too powerful. Beeing able to dispel magic with arrows is something I don't want in the game.
The only place where it was needed was against the Ael'letec, to counter his death gaze. Because I have modify his death gaze, you don't need them anymore.

- Arrows of detonation : I think no comments are needed here. Be able to throw 2 or 3 fireballs per round, with 0 casting time, is something crazy! I have been on the 2 side of the arrows. Using them to kill hard group of enemies with my solo fighter, so easy. And loosing most of party against the last mercenaries before Bhaal temple, or by Angelo in the end.

I will do 2 things: remove them from the only one store I know (sorcerous sundries). And nerfing them a lot, because I am sure you can find them elsewhere.

- Wand of monsters summoning. I like this wand and will not remove it, but the problem is you can have so many of them, so you can summon many monsters each fight. I think it should be a precious wand, that you would only use it on emergency situation. So, I will make sure it's become a rarer thing.

- Arrow of slaying : killing one ogre isn't overpowered, except you can kill named ogres and this is too much

I have tweaked most quantities for high level spells (4 and 5) and wands
Baronius
This is a good idea, except the removal of Arrows of Dispelling. They are powerful indeed, but at least "clean" (unlike the ridiculous level-depending dispel magic of BG2, for example).

I welcome all the other changes though! thumb.gif Arrows of Detonation have no "feeling", the Arrows of Slaying are ridiculous, and the Wand of Monster Summoning is too artificial, it's no feeling either.
underdog
but you still have to hit with the arrows of dispelling, I've ran out of arrows and still didn't remove the protections, although my guys have been known to get 6-8 critical misses in a row, blink.gif walked away once and the enemy was still standing there because no one could hit it, and they even miss with the killsword, +58 to hit. huh.gif

I think the game hates me. wacko.gif
Galactygon
I beg to differ on all of the items except this, which I think is a good idea:

I have tweaked most quantities for high level spells (4 and 5) and wands

Arrows of Dispelling: As long as the arrow doesn't act as an area effect dispel magic and acts as a dispel magic cast by a level 6 character, I don't have any problems about having them in the game (BG1Tutu lets you to make all of these changes).

Arrows of detonation: As long as the damage does not exceed 2D6 points and the explosion radius isn't as large as a fireball, I don't see any reasons to remove them from the game.

Wand of Monster Summoning: I believe Echon nerfed this item in his Fields of the Dead mod, and it isn't really overpowered. I might nerf it a bit more by lessening the amount of charges per wand, but that is just about it. Remember that wands (even the Wand of Magic Missiles which is supposed to fire 2 missiles instead of 1) are meant to be powerful and rare items.

Arrows of slaying: Again, I see no problem about having them in the game. In fact, I might add more varieties that kill different races/classes (ie. an arrow that kills Illusionists upon hit or an arrow that kills hobgoblins).

-Galactygon
Salk
I actually agree with aigleborgne's changes. The Arrow of Detonation, just like Baronius says, has no feeling and so is the Arrow of Slaying. I believe their removal is a good solution.

About the Wand of Monster Summoning, I believe nerfing it and making it very rare would be a welcome change.

It would be nice to make the Wand of Magic Missile also rare and tweak it so it shoots two missiles instead of only one like Galactygon reported.
aigleborgne
I don't really agree with you.

Baldur's Gate is a low-level D&D game and those items are too powerful, even if there were rare, it would be

I will make this as an optional component.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.