Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heart of Winter modding...
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > The Gathering Hall
Brave Sir Garrick
The photograph explains it all. happy.gif
balduran
If I am correct, this should be the multyplayer screen, right?

You either messed up the GUI or the dialogue/tlk.

Can you push the buttons on that screen?
Brave Sir Garrick
Nope, the buttons do not work. You see, as in my other post... I am trying to get Heart of Winter to work on the Icewind Dale client. This is the only thing that seems to be getting in the way. Anyways, how would I fix this if it were the GUI, and what in the dialog.tlk would be affecting this? Also, these menus just appear when the game starts, I did not try to access them. (If that helps)

Thanks for the help. happy.gif
balduran
I've already read the other topic and what you're trying to acheive is admirable cool.gif

But you don't mention nothing about the current problem there. The first thing that comes to my mind when I see the scrshot is that the dialogue entry for the GUI are messed with and are probably erased.

Provided that you remember which button does what, can you try and start a new game, or load an excisting one. It would help a lot.
Brave Sir Garrick
Well, nothing is "clickable" though. I have also tried reverting to the old GUI by using the old chui and GUImos files. When I do that though, the "Searching for Network Devices..." thing is what pops in, instead of those. Same situation, I cannot do anything but quit the game. Right now, I am using the Dialog.tlk for Heart of Winter, and the GUI files for Heart of Winter (of course, heh).
I have a java application called "Near Infinity" and it allows me to view the resources, etc... I have looked at the GUI files and whatnot, but have no idea as to why this problem is occuring. I will look into the Dialog.tlk though, I just figured since that deals with strings it would not have anything to do with this.
Brave Sir Garrick
Okay, tried just starting with the original Dialog.tlk, same problem. So I guess that it has to do with the GUIchui files then?
balduran
Since you've eliminated the tlk possibility, then the problem is in the GUI, but I am afraid I have little experience with it.

Can you try one more thing, just in case - start the game with the old GUI and TLK to see if it works. It probably will, but I had similar problem a week ago, and it was fixed when I reinstalled.
Brave Sir Garrick
It seems that it crashes when you try and create a character when using the original GUI's and Dialog.tlk. Guess that won't work out. heh
balduran
You know what? Why don't you put the files you edited into folders, depending on their type. Then Delete your IWD directory and reinstall the game. After that, try to add them one after another, and you'll get a clear idea for where the problem is comming from. Unless the problem is eliminated after the reinstall, which would be the best option.
Brave Sir Garrick
Well, I didn't have to do that, deleted the temp folder... well, file. For some reason it miraculously transformed into an Icewind Dale document! laugh.gif Going to try again!
balduran
Do you mean the Windows Temp or the game's. Because the second one isn't very important.
Brave Sir Garrick
Oh, on mac at least... it creates this folder called "Temp" and it holds two files with .tis and .tos (I think?) as the extensions. But anyways, I tried starting with the old GUI and .tlk, it started with the "Searching for Network Devices..." window open. Any suggestions? I guess I'm going to have to try removing .bifs one by one until that goes away.
Brave Sir Garrick
It appears that it is the GUIconn.chu that is causing the trouble. So, now I just need to figure out how to go about editing it. happy.gif
Brave Sir Garrick
Well, using the old GUIconn.chu works for two of the windows. But now I still need to get rid of the "Searching for Network Devices..." window. The problem with that window does not seem to be located within the following bifs: GUIbam, GUIchui, GUIicon, GUImos, and DEFAULT. Would anyone happen to know what other bif might contain a conflicting file that affects the GUI? I have tried removing the eGUI as well from Heart of Winter, that does not seem to be it either.

Thanks in advance!
Brave Sir Garrick
Does anyone here have a copy of the Icewind.ini file that has been used with Heart of Winter? I would like to take a look at it. When I extracted it, it only gave me a language.ini... but anyways, could anyone send it to me perhaps? Or post it here?

Thanks. biggrin.gif
balduran
I'll add one as soon as I can - probably tomorrow.
Brave Sir Garrick
Alright, thanks!
balduran
I installed the game last night and here's the ini file.

I think you are looking for the following:

GUI Feedback Level=4

This is at 800x600 pixel screensize.

When you edited the GUI you tried to incorporate eGUI.bif into the original IWD bifs, right? You you tried something else?
Brave Sir Garrick
Well, actually... all I did was import the Chitin.key from HoW and change the file paths so that it would work for mac. But, no... I have not tried combining the GUI bifs, if that is what you mean?
balduran
Oh, man, youre doing it all wrong then!

You are not supposed to simply import the eGUI into the chitin.key. You'd be doing it if you could use the HOW exe(in your case command, which you do not have). But if you are WEIDUing the eGUI, you need more serious work. And you cannot expect to play the game in 800x600. Not unless you are a c++ wiz.

Here's what you need to do in overall perspective (You can correct me on anything here, since I am, as we Bulgarians say, barefoot when it comes to GUI edit:

1)Your goal is to incorporate the alements added by eGUI into the other GUI bifs of IWD. Note that there are, several bifs you need to edit(5 I think), which names begin with GUI - GUIbam, GUIfont...

You can extract the files of these bifs, either using Nearinfinity, or WinBif. I personally prefer the second as it is faster and you can actually see what you are extracting beforehand.

2)There should also be, I am not sure, since I haven't checked, some copies of the files from these bifs (including eGUI) in the override folder. So be careful not to skip any of them.

3)The files that determin the behavior of the averall GUI have .CHU extension. The others are graphical files. In order to edit these files, you need a CHU editor.

http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?...e=post&id=11286

You need to edit the chu files and add anything that is in eGUI's chu files to the other CHU files. Be careful, though, since there are elements that cannot be seen in 640x480 - these need to be left behind.

If you need professional assistance on the chu file, address Chevar. He made an alternative GUI for BG2 using the elements of BG1 and IWD. I also suggest that you post notes on your progress on a regular basis here, so that other modders might avoid mistakes you have made.

I'll also try to help you with editing, if you want, but I am quite bussy right now, and won't have much time until I finish working on Azure NPC.
Brave Sir Garrick
Thanks for the information. I'm not trying to get the new resolution to work, by the way. I just want the gameplay stuff. (Spells, abilities, areas, items, story, etc...) I was thinking of maybe trying to find out what files in the GUI are needed for the game (area loading screens for one) and just leave the GUI as is. But I believe when I tried that, the "Finding Network Devices..." window still popped in.

Anyways, thanks for the assistance! (I'm not sure what to do about a chu editor though, since mac does not have one as far as I know.)
Brave Sir Garrick
Here's a screenshot of what I'm running into while NOT using any of the HoW GUI files, or CHU files.
Sir-Kill
Not that I know anything really but it looks like you might try a different connection like serial or tcp/ix or something. click on your protocol button
Brave Sir Garrick
Well, you see... the problem is... This thing just appears when I start the game. I am not trying to play multiplayer or anything. It just appears immediatley after startup, I cannot click anything, or get out of it either.
Sir-Kill
huh weird. sorry I cant help. but it does look like your join game button IS depressed. maybe it is locked in the depressed state
Brave Sir Garrick
The reason for that is, it's still on the single player selection screen. So "join game" is disabled.
balduran
So if I understand correctly, you get the networking window right at the start, not when you push any of the buttons?
Brave Sir Garrick
Yes. The same thing happens with those other windows as well, they just "appear".
balduran
Can you try and click on any of the buttons in the background? If you can, then the problem could be solved with just a little tweaking around the chu files.
Brave Sir Garrick
No, they don't do anything while these windows are there, even when clicking "on" them.
balduran
That's weird. I thought that the problem was only on display level.

If I come up with a solution, I'll post it.
Brave Sir Garrick
Alright, thanks. Have you tried running HoW Data with the PC IWD .exe by any chance? I'm wondering if it is some kind of strange OS problem, or if you will run into the same thing.
Sir-Kill
well the only thing that I can think of is that the connect button/control is thinking that is should be depressed. I do not have iwd installed nor do I own iwd2
it is very possable that it shares the same control with another. in bg2 it is the 'connect' and 'single player' buttons.
Brave Sir Garrick
Well, I know what the problem is though. I just need to find out how to fix it. happy.gif

Anyways, if anyone here has Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, would you please try using Heart of Winter Data files with the original Icewind Dale .exe? Please? biggrin.gif
balduran
Ok, I'll install again and see what happens.
Brave Sir Garrick
Balduran, thank you very much. That's a lot of work for just checking for that one thing, but at least it will provide some answers!
balduran
Don't mention it cool.gif

I didn't have time to do it today, but I will post results by tomorrow.
Brave Sir Garrick
Alright. *eagerly awaits the response*
balduran
Sorry for the felayed response, but was quite busy these days.

Here's what happened:

I installed the IWD,archived the exe files, then installed HOW and renamed its exe-s. Then I extracted the originl files and tried the game. I got to this screen after the movies.

IPB Image

I was able to click on the buttons, despite the fact that they were in the background. But when I tried to start a new game I got thrown out of the game like this:

IPB Image

I also tried to run the game with the original GUI files(I got rid of the eGUI), but the game crashed after the movies were over.
Brave Sir Garrick
Thanks for the information! That is the same problem I ran into... I'm thinking I'm going to try and just get spells and abilities to work for now. Then creatures, then items, then maybe move onto the actually areas and whatnot.
balduran
At least you now know that it's not a Mac restricted issue.

I have a few questiones: Does the Mac version of IWD use dialog.tlk or some other extension? Also are there regular PC BIFs or some other archive format?
Do you have any progress on the game effects? I mean - did you find a way to add the HOW effects to IWD ALONE?
Brave Sir Garrick
Icewind Dale for mac uses a Dialog.tlk, and .bifs/cbfs of the same format as PC. Only difference is the way that they executable or is handled. I have not made any progress yet, no. If I could access the cbfs, I think I could get it working, those seem to have most of the files I need. But mac has no cbf extraction utility.
balduran
Is there one for a Wondows PC? I could extract them for you if there is any.
Brave Sir Garrick
Yes, DLTCEP does it, and there is another one that I saw but I cannot find it.
Brave Sir Garrick
Here's the link for DLTCEP:

http://www.dragonlancetc.com/forums/attachments/dltcep67.zip
balduran
what is their aproximate size? I mean of the cbfs. I would need a place to upload them if they are too big.
Brave Sir Garrick
We can do something over: AIM, ICQ, or MSN if you want. I think the cbfs will be around 330mb in size. I have a REALLY fast connection, so the transfer should go fast if you are on cable or something. I am really thankful for this! The complete set of extracted cbfs is what I need to get this thing working! happy.gif

If you would rather do the ftp thing though, let me know.

Edit: Please don't forget the cbfs in the CD2 folder as well. There are cbfs in CD3 and CD2.
Sir-Kill
Black wyrm also has a java irc too or you can use mirc wink.gif
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/chat.php
Brave Sir Garrick
IRC does not like me, heh. Honestly, lets not do IRC! ohmy.gif
balduran
QUOTE(Brave Sir Garrick @ Oct 7 2005, 06:03 PM)
I think the cbfs will be around 330mb in size.

Hm, 330MB is a lot. It'll be very slow.

P.S. I sent you a PM with details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.