Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Icewind Dale: Turning HoW into a "mod"?
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > The Gathering Hall
Brave Sir Garrick
Hello all,

I just joined the forums and I am attempting to change the way Heart of Winter works. I use a mac, so there is no HoW release for this platform. So far I have gotten it to "semi-work", but I have no way of extracting cbfs, so I am stuck for now. Though there are people in the mac modding community working to help me, as far as cbfs go.
I am pretty sure that this will work once I can access the cbfs, but I just wanted to ask what you guys here thought. All I am trying to get the game to read are the: areas, items, spells, and abilities. So far the spells are visibile, level cap works, and items are spawnable but crash when used if they add new effects. Anyways, in theory, do you all think that it is possible to just make those aspects of HoW work without the actual new client? So far I've had good luck with getting HoW to work, and it seems to be going well, except for the cbf extraction.
Rastor
A few lines of WeiDU code should do the trick.
Brave Sir Garrick
Hmm, you make it sound like I've been trying this the real hard way. heh I've been extracting the bifs and entering them into the mac CHITIN.key through weidu. It seems that the mac version uses ":" for paths.
Now, I know the CHITIN.key paths can be changed with a text editor, but there is a problem with doing just that. Some sort of conflict that causes the game to start with a "Findng Network Host" box, and a blank multiplayer game selection box. You can quit the game, but you cannot click out of these boxes or anything. I think it is some sort of GUI issue, not sure exactly though.
Also, I'm thinking I just need to access some of the resources in the "cbfs" for this... but when I cast the Heart of Winter spells the game crashes saying there was an error at line ****.cpp. Even though it's the mac version, thought I would ask. Does this mean missing files or something else?

Thanks for the input though!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.