Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8 Dex. for a Thief
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > The Gathering Hall
Sir-Kill
Has anyone ever noticed if you give a thief 8 Dex (which is min.). in bg1 that his thieving abilities are the same as a thief with either 13,14, or 15 dex. but higher than a thief with either 9,10,11, or 12

is this a bug in bg or some odd D&D rule. probably a bug, but has anyone seen this?

Before anyone wonders...yes it is a legal version 5 disk +TotSC, w/the patch, and no mods
Galactygon
I am guessing the error comes from an incomplete .2da file that gives bonuses/penalties to thieving skills to characters based on their DEX. Since the game doesn't allow you to become a thief unless you have 9 or more points in DEX, Bioware decided to ignore everything below 9 DEX.

That is only my guess.

-Galactygon
Sir-Kill
well that is weird I just read over my post and thought it was odd that you said 9 dex I have no idea how I got it to 8, I tried again just now to see if I could and I can only go to 9

the damn thing is I was making a table based on the differences on dex and now the table is off

Grrr just tried one more time. I was using an elf as a CH the first time the second was a human and then I just tried an elf again and you can get to dex 8 with a elf thief. plus there must be racial traits involved too because the elf and human dex bonuses are different.
balduran
So it probably has something to do with race requirements. But it shouldn't be possible for an elf in the original unmodded files to have 8 DEX, especially being a thief, since the required DEX is 9.

Did you have any mod installed when you tried this one?
Sir-Kill
Before anyone wonders...yes it is a legal version 5 disk +TotSC, w/the patch, and no mods
wink.gif

I just wondered if anyone starting a new bg1 game could conferm this, or has seen this before. I just found it odd.
balduran
I cannot confirm this right now, since my Harddisk has no space for BG1 install, but I'll remember to check it if I isntall it.

BTW, I ordered Baldur's Gate the Original Saga from Amazon (Not that I didn't have the game+Tosc already, but It will probably have collector's value in the future). It costs about 9.70$ with postal expenses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.