Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why I revised it
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate, BG1Tutu, BG Trilogy > The Grey Clan Episode One: In Candlelight
Baronius
I tried to answer the question of 'why I revised it' in the general introduction. In this post, I'd like to illustrate it with a quote from PPG forums (I used joker characters to disguise Grey Clan NPC and area names in order to avoid spoilers).

QUOTE(a player)
[..]
I got a reply on the other forum and it turns out there's a Gibberling's 3 forum where I found the answer.  Killing ****** and meeting ****** IS the end of the mod, apparently . I thought GreyClan was a great, very difficult mod, which avoided the many mistakes BG1 and 2 modders have done  in the past, such as copying and mixing old areas(eg:- Darkest Day) - that gets so boring and longwinded, plus unlike Secrets of BoneHill or BG2's  Darkest Day, it wasn't at all buggy. The conclusion could have been a bit more final. I wasted a whole hour going back to Baldur's Gate and ****** trying to work out  what I'd done wrong etc.

The player is right, in fact the Last Breath's conclusion was simply extremely poor. I had to finish the development of TGC1 very quickly, because I didn't have enough free time. And it was a wrong decision. Perhaps I should've stopped its development, and should've continued it when possible. But I wanted to release it in any way, it was my first major mod: I wasn't sure if players would like my modding/plot-writing style, and I probably wanted a quick answer -- fortunately it was a yes. Maybe it was the best in this way after all.

In Candlelight (the remake) hopefully does not contain the negative sides of the Last Breath. Its content is bigger and more complex than the old edition's, and the conclusion is hopefully more final (but it's still Episode I). However, the story of Episode I is finished at the end of the mod. The other episodes of the Grey Clan will have the same background (organizations, characters, places etc.), but they won't be the next instalments of the same story.
jastey
I know how it feels. It's a bit like my Ajantis BGII-mod: Version II will be more than a plain further development of version 1, it will be very different at some points. But if I hadn't given out version 1, it wouldn't have gone public at all until now.

I am very much looking foreward to this new version of GC1, btw. smile.gif
Sohlside
I'm glad I found out now. I'm only a little beyond the beginning of the mod and at least have a save from beforehand. I was enjoying last Breath in my latest replay of TotSC but if the ending is weak I'm thankful that you (baronius) took the initiative to remedy that for us.

So if I reload my game prior to the General whatisname convo, uninstall the The last Breath, install In Candlelight, and continue with my game, all should be right in the universe. Correct?

I'll also update the links on my site to point over to BlackWyrm instead of G3. Sorry for being so behind in my gaming info. No excuses.

Thanks again to all involved for the amazing effort you've already put into this project. I'm looking forward to Black Superstitions already. Look for a plug at Sohlside Arts very soon.

Just so you know, I've been playing using the 3 disk "The Original Sage" BG1 release and everything is running fine so far and I LOVE the increased difficulty of the fights. I had to actually wake up and think about combat again. smile.gif
Baronius
Just so you know, I've been playing using the 3 disk "The Original Sage" BG1 release and everything is running fine so far and I LOVE the increased difficulty of the fights. I had to actually wake up and think about combat again.  smile.gif
smile.gif Are you talking about Grey Clan battles or generally about BG1 Original Saga? (Grey Clan has difficult battles!)

So if I reload my game prior to the General whatisname convo, uninstall the The last Breath, install In Candlelight, and continue with my game, all should be right in the universe. Correct?

I guess you know the correct order, but to assure you will do everything properly, I will explain it here. Uninstallation must be the first. Then install In Candlelight, and as you have written, you have to reload a savegame that was created before you have visited the area with General Jedyan in it. So it's okay if you have visited that area before (obviously you did, it's a very important district of BG), but if you have entered it with Last Breath installed (i.e. General Jedyan has been 'summoned'), the best would be to find a savegame that was created before this happened. If you can't, then just do the following: leave the area (in case your savegame is in this district), and return: in the worst case, you have will have two General Jedyans, and talking to the 'new' one will start the mod's plot.

Have fun! Looking forward to your feedback/opinion/suggestions! smile.gif
Sohlside
smile.gif Are you talking about Grey Clan battles or generally about BG1 Original Saga? (Grey Clan has difficult battles!)

Absolutely about the Grey Clan battles. I've beaten the game a few dozen times since 1998 I guess (BG1 addict here) but this is my first time playing with a mod since getting the 3 Disk "The original Saga" release of the game. (got it because it is fully patched unlike my original 5+1 releases) Still I found the game starting to wera thin and I was having very little 'adventure' since I knew what every battle and new area has to offer. But with the addition of the TGC mod the battles are exciting and much more difficult that the stock encounters. I was aware of the limited dialog options in v1.75 but I see tht you have addressed that as well and I am very, very eager to see what you have done.

I guess you know the correct order, but to assure you will do everything properly, I will explain it here. Uninstallation must...

Thanks for all the info. I thought I had it figured out but I prefer to operate on as many details as possible. I have tons more to say to everyone involved in this project concerning my appreciation for things such as a non-Tutu/WeiDU version and the attention to detail and the support community.. but I'm dying to play and I only get one Saturday a . smile.gif I'll be around again to let you know how it's going. 8]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.