The Black Wyrm Lair Forums
The Black Wyrm's Lair Terms of Use Help Search Members Calendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Progress report for Improved Anvil v4.0, New adventures and new tactical challenges
Sikret
post Oct 6 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #1

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

I am working on the next version of Improved Anvil (IA v4.0). It will surely take some time before I release it, but I publish the progress report here in this thread for those who may be interested.

The additional features are mostly new adventures and more tactical challenges. Players who have interesting ideas may also send them to me and (if their suggestions are approved) they will be added to the next version of the mod with their own names (after applying some refinements to their suggestions, if needed). If they want their ideas to remain as surprises for players, they can send them to me via PMs to avoid publishing spoilers.

To see the content of the adventures and tactical challenges of the current version of the mod (V3.0), see the related text file attached to the readme topic in the forum. What you will read in this topic are new adventures which are not currently available in the mod, but they are already coded in my local version and will be available to public just when IA v4.0 is released:

1- Post-Firkraag adventures: After Firkraag is dead, new events will start to happen in Windspear Hills and consequently new adventures and quests will await you.

2- Tougher Borinall: The thief who has stolen Dawn Ring will be tougher and will have more allies to help him.

3- Expanded Mage Stronghold:
- Magical container
- Furnaces may malfunction
- The mystery of the Jewel Casket
- Treasure in the ice (Or 'Why is it so cold down here?')
- Does Marvella always say the truth?
- Danger at harbors! (Or 'Is it safe to go to Cromwell anymore?')

4- Improved Rakshasa encounter in sewers beneath Temple district.

5- Guarded Store Tower in Druid Grove area (i.e. Belm scimitar is no easy treasure). -- Suggested by Shaitan

6- Kangaxx is improved even further. He will be MUCH more cunning and hard-to-defeat in IA v4.0. I have limited the number of Imprisonments he casts, but have added other spells and a new (better) fighting tactic to him.

7- Improved Demilich crypt in watcher's Keep.

8- The Illithid Hideout in Sewers will be a bit improved further. First of all, the doors in that area will not be closeable once you open them. Second, upto IA v3.0, Alhoon would summon a Gem Golem once you defeat the improved human party and find your way into his hideout. Now, he will summon an Elemental golem, instead. (Scary, I know; but the treasure you find there is outstanding.)

9- Slightly tougher demons (in addition to those specific demons which have been improved individually).

10- More brand new monsters added.

11- A new scripting system is devised and used in Improved Anvil. I call it polygonal scripting system, because each creature in this system uses a number of additional shared scripts "interactively" in addition to its own specific ones. It's an artificially intelligent and brand new scripting method. As a result, creatures can behave very intelligently.

12- "Randomizing program" accomplished: Some powerful items which were too easily available in the stores are removed from the shops (but not from the game). Their locations in the game are randomized, which means that each time you start a new game they may be with different (randomly determined) tough enemies or in different (randomly determined and hard to access) chests or containers.

13- The ancient dragon in WK (5th level) will have new allies (= brand new monsters) at his side and also new lines of dialogue: He will have some interesting comments about Firkraag and Saladrex.

14- Expaned Ranger Stronghold:
- New friend at your cabin
- The mystery of the shimmering light (a long quest, exclusively for ranger protagonists)

15- Improved Troll Mound -- Suggested by Shaitan

16- Horde of Lords (new encounter in TOB)

17- New encounter (with someone who has something you may badly want) either in chapter 4 or in chapter 6 (randomly determined)

18- New conditional encounter in Ust Natha

19- Guarded Mithril Machine (a new feature added to Improved spellhold component of the mod)

20- The mystery of the third color (a new quest in Ust Natha).

21- Improved Sendai Enclave:
- Tougher Captain Egeissag and party (this one already existed in previous versions of the mod)
- Tougher Slavemaster
- Improved Spiders' lair
- Improved Thelynn'ss and party -- Suggested by thetruth
- Improved Odamaron
- Improved Sendai

22- Improved Zallanora and party -- Suggested by thetruth

23- Improved Abazigal

24- Chapter 2: Improved Random (city and wilderness) Encounters

25- Improved City Gates' lich (the lich is replaced with a brand new type of lich)

26- Epic divine encounter: A new encounter in TOB.
(Note: If your main PC is a mage/sorcerer and if you have made a particular decision during one of the new quests added to the mage stronghold in SOA portion of the game, this new encounter in TOB may be a bit different for you; otherwise, it's the same for all classes and alignments.)

27- Improved Globe Machine (5th level of WK)

28- Encounter with Orcus (Prince of the Undead)
(If you have Daystar Sword, you can go to the old crypts beneath Graveyard district to meet Orcus in his corporeal form. The encounter is optional; however, Orcus has one of the required ingredients to upgrade Daystar.)

29- Halflings in planar sphere are improved even further.

30- Improved Mind Flayers' lair (underdark):
(1) Tougher Insane Dwarf Warrior
(2) Improved final battle vs. The Master Brain:
(2-1) Tougher Master Brain
(2-2) Improved Brain Golems
(2-3) Elemental Golem guardian of the brain (The Master Brain will not die as long as the main guardian is alive).

31- Twisted Rune is improved even further:
(1) Layene is now a 31st level mage with more spells than previous versions. She also uses her staff most efficiently and has new summons.
(2) Shangalar has changed to a Grave Lich (= a new type of lich).
(3) Shyressa has changed from a normal vampire to a Vampire Lord (= new type of vampire with additional powers and immunities). This is not new, however. It was the same in v3 as well.
(4) Revanek is also improved further (= a 25th level fighter with better equipment)

32- Slavers' ship building in the Slums is improved even further.
(Some players had reported that despite the improvements applied to the mentioned area in previous versions of the mod, the battle was still easy and not challenging enough. Now, with the new additions, I hope that it will be quite challenging (and satisfying) specially at early stages of the game. You may be a bit shocked during your first attemtps and before finding out how to win the battle.)

33- Improved Illasera (Suggested by thetruth, in details.)

34- Deeper than the Underdark
In the underdark, you may be lucky (or rather unlucky) enough to find a hidden passage which will lead you to lower catacombs below. You will find it easy to enter, but far from easy to exit. Even mighty drows and other inhabitants of underdark do not dare to enter the deep and fearsome maze. A wandering ghost (who doesn't know that he is dead) will tell you that finding "The Mighty One" (whoever he is) is your sole chance to get out of the deeper darkness (and it will be the new quest you will have to do unless you do not enter the lower areas at all).

35- New ranger kit added
VAGRANT: Vagrants do not stay in a place for long. They spend most of their time exploring new wilderness areas and enjoying the beauties of nature. Woodlands and lakes are the most favorite places for vagrants. They are very healthy characters with exceptional stamina. Vagrants can develop a special kind of friendship with swanmays. Swanmays are very rare and special kind of lycanthrope rangers living at lakesides in woodlands and in remote temperate wetlands. High level vagrants can call for swanmays' help.

Advantages:

1- +1 bonus to Constitution
2- Immunity to poison
3- +2 bonus to save vs. Death/poison
4- Gians the ability to summon Swanmay at levels 13, 18, 23, 28, 33 and 38. The swanmay will loyally fight at the vagrant's side for 20 rounds.

Disadvantages:

1- May not wear armor greater than studded leather.
2- Cannot dual class

This post has been edited by Sikret: Apr 15 2007, 01:34 PM

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
Shaitan
post Oct 28 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

I would like to see an enhancement of the above mentioned map. More specific would I like the following to be "toughened up" a bit a la Tactics:
Troll Mound
Kyland Lind
Dalok & Co.
Faldorn and the Ritual

It has always annoyed me, that you find an excellent scimitar at the Druid Grove map, and then by ending the Doa Djinns quest you get a badder scimitar. Could that price be altered?

Thanks in advance

--------------------
dooh!

Quote Post
Sikret
post Oct 28 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #3

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Yes, the easy-to-attain Belm scimitar had also occurred to me as being absurd and that's why I added a new monster in that tower, but perhaps the place needs to be more heavily guarded. Thanks for drawing my attention to this point. I will do something about it.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.

Quote Post
Shaitan
post Oct 28 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #4

Forum Member

Thanks.

You may add something about the end of the skindancer quest. I think the two skeletons are laughable at least.

--------------------
dooh!

Quote Post
Sikret
post Oct 31 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #5

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

It's done, Shaitan!

The initial post in this thread is also edited to include the new "Guarded Store Tower" feature. Thanks again for the good suggestion.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 1 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #6

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Initial post updated (more information about 'Expanded Mage Stronghold' added).

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 7 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #7

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Initial post updated (a new feature added to 'Expanded Mage Stronghold'; other components added as well).

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Shaitan
post Nov 7 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #8

Forum Member

EEEExcellent my good Sikret muahhahaha. In other words I'm looking foreward to IA4 smile.gif

--------------------
dooh!

Quote Post
smr49
post Nov 8 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #9

Cunning Linguist

Forum Member

DAMN IT!!

I'll never have time for my family at this rate! laugh.gif

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 8 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #10

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Initial post updated (Polygonal scripting system added).

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Shaitan
post Nov 9 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #11

Forum Member

12- A new scripting system is devised and used in Improved Anvil. I call it polygonal scripting system, because each creature in this system uses a number of additional shared scripts "interactively" in addition to its own specific ones. It's an artificially intelligent and brand new scripting method. As a result, creatures can behave very very intelligently as if you are playing against a human mind.

This sounds - to the least - VERY exciting

--------------------
dooh!

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 10 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #12

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(Shaitan @ Nov 10 2006, 03:38 AM) *
12- A new scripting system is devised and used in Improved Anvil. I call it polygonal scripting system, because each creature in this system uses a number of additional shared scripts "interactively" in addition to its own specific ones. It's an artificially intelligent and brand new scripting method. As a result, creatures can behave very very intelligently as if you are playing against a human mind.

This sounds - to the least - VERY exciting

Thank you, Shaitan!

Polygonal scripting system (if developed to its full potentials) is capable of making creatures UNbelievably intelligent, but if I go for its full capacity, it may slow down older computers during the game. I have done my best to keep the balance (and not to go too far) so that even players with older computers can play the game with its normal and regular speed. However, I'm still sure that it will surprise you to see how some of the enemies can show strikingly smart and outstanding reactions to your actions during the game.

Of course, some creatures (= monsters with low intelligence, etc) are not so smart and it won't be realisitc to make them behave very intelligently. Hence, I have reserved polygonal scripting method only for significant and really intelligent creatures in the game (i.e. Major bosses, high level mages, special creatures with divine nature, etc...).

This post has been edited by Sikret: Nov 10 2006, 01:03 AM

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 10 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #13

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Initial post updated ("Randomizing program" accomplished).

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
smr49
post Nov 10 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #14

Cunning Linguist

Forum Member

Randomizing is an excellent addition to the mod -- a guaranteed new playthrough each time (to a certain extent). Way to go, Sikret!! wub.gif

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 15 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #15

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Initial post updated.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 18 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #16

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Initial post updated (news about expanded ranger stronghold).

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Silverstar
post Nov 20 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #17

Forum Member

Sikret, these are the most exciting news I heard about BG2 modding world in my life! Can not wait to get IA v4, but will I have to start a new game to enjoy its benefits, aside from Randomisation program? That polygonal scripts...wow I want to test them, can you give a small example of its behaviour pattern? I am sooo curious!

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 20 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #18

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Thanks for your kind words, Silverstar!

As you said, it is the "Randomizing Program" which strictly necessitates starting a new game. If you do not start a new game, the picked items will be removed from their original locations, but you will not find them in their new (randomly determined) locations in the game either.

However, even aside from the randomizing program, I would still strongly recommend starting a new game, because several minor and major refinements and modifications have been applied to different quests and encounters of the game. If you have already finished any of them in your current game, they are finished and and you won't see the new things added to them.

Therefore, my reply is: "Yes, do start a new game after installing IA v4.0".

As for the polygonal scripting system, it is an advanced system which opens the enemies' eyes and allows creatures to observe your decisions effectively and to react appropriately in a very intelligent way during the game. I suggest that you wait to see it for yourself during the game, but if your are badly curious, I can send you some concrete examples in a PM (to avoid publishing premature spoilers), if you wish.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Silverstar
post Nov 21 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #19

Forum Member

Uh no, I really do not want spoilers, thank you!

I guess I will first finish my current game though, with your V3. Then I can start a new game with V4. Hopefuly, V4 will be ready by the time I am able to finish the game. (which will have to take VERY long, I fear, I have so little chance to play nowadays. sad.gif )

Quote Post
Sikret
post Nov 21 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #20

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Well, even if you don't intend to start a new game, I still recommend that you update the mod in your current game when IA v4.0 is released.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:48 AM