The Black Wyrm Lair Forums
The Black Wyrm's Lair Terms of Use Help Search Members Calendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Files names: Eight character limitation!
Sikret
post Dec 20 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #1

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Some kinds of files are such that their names should not exceed 8 characters. Some others do not have such a limitation. Right?

Now, since I don't exactly know which files do and which files do not have that restriction, I always play safe and keep dubbing my files with less than 9 characters. This, however, has gradually become very frustrating, because I'm aware that in many cases my caution is not necessary.

Can anyone give a list of the kinds of files which necessarily need to be dubbed with less than 9 characters?

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
Rabain
post Dec 20 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #2

GOD

Retired team member

As far as I know all files that the game engine will end up using need to be 8 characters or less.

Files that are only used by weidu can be more than 8 characters.

For example the file "myadditiontoAr2000.baf" being APPENDed to ar2000.bcs would be okay because it is used only by weidu and the file the info ends up in is ar2000.bcs which follows the 8 character limitation. Likewise .d dialog files used by weidu can be longer than 8 characters so long as the dlg file being created for use in game is 8 characters or less.

Note: I have never had any problems with filenames used in this fashion. Whether this is the case or not for others I do not know. Most modders tend to stick to 8 characters just to avoid problems due to human error.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:08 AM