Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Breaking Up, When Romances End
Someone2000
post Apr 22 2024, 01:21 AM
Post #1

Forum Member

Hello,

I love this mod and I’m very grateful it was created. I’m not sure if this should go as a bug report or if this should be its own topic, but I keep finding that when I romance certain characters it results in break-ups with other characters. For example, when the relationship with Fade reaches a certain point, I find out I’ve broken up with Aerie, Jaheira, and Viconia. If I use the All Things Mazzy mod and romance Mazzy, I break up with Neera. This happens when these romances have already progressed to the point where I can park those characters in the Keep. They are still romances if I visit them; as soon as they rejoin my party, the romances end.

Does this happen to anyone else? Am I adding the mods out of sequence? Is there a good fix to this? Can you reconcile after a romance ends? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
Seewead
post Apr 22 2024, 02:43 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

Never heard of that. In short you are saying the very core mechanism of the Rjali mod is not functioning.

You are probably right with the suspicion you already brought up yourself: Sounds like you have not chosen the correct order of installation. You need to install the various NPC mods first and only after them install the RJali mod. Because obviously the RJali mod can only modify and correct the mods that are already there at the time of Rjali mod's installation. The Rjali mod needs to find all the NPC mods and kind of "detoxify" them. Most NPC romance mods have a programmed cancelation of other ongoing romances. All this is explicitly explained in the readme of RJali mod.

Sincerely, Seewead

P.S.: No, I am afraid there is no turning back. You have to install from scratch and start over.

P.P.S.: Not trying to hide this from you: For ages people tried to "switch on" certain romances via the manipulation of certain variables. When in theory this is possible it couldn't help you. That way you would not be able to turn on multi romance but only activate one certain romance. And to reinstall the multi romance patch in one of the major mods is not helping either. Because the RJali mod uses multi romances on a much higher and more sophisticated level and range.

This post has been edited by Seewead: Apr 22 2024, 02:54 AM

Quote Post
Someone2000
post Apr 26 2024, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Forum Member

Thank you for the answer! It gets weirder.

-The Tyris mod used to work well with it, but it no longer does. It gets so buggy I stopped using it completely, it kept crashing my entire game.

-The Fade mod seems to work for the most part, except that Horace only selectively acknowledges the Fade romance is occurring.

-The Petsy mod worked except that Rjali never approached her, meaning I could never park her. Eventually I removed her from the party, ending the romance.

I’ve reinstalled the mods in what I was told is the correct order (Quest mods/romance mods/Rjali mod), but things still seem to go awry. I’m not sure what to do about it.

I’m getting used to a certain bugginess when I’ve modded the game too much- for example, it took me a while to realize that the Rjali Killsword works too effectively in some combats, meaning I killed the main Corrupted Duckling too early in the Wilson mod, preventing him from completing his dialogue with it and causing him to snarl endlessly at me (the starting point of the dialogue) until I booted him from the party. (My solution is to stop using that sword except for the combats that utterly annoy me, like ever Demi-lich encounter.). But some of these bugs are harder to figure out than others.

Thank you!

This post has been edited by Someone2000: Apr 26 2024, 02:13 PM

Quote Post
Seewead
post Apr 27 2024, 04:25 AM
Post #4

Forum Member

QUOTE(Someone2000 @ Apr 26 2024, 04:12 PM) *
I’ve reinstalled the mods in what I was told is the correct order (Quest mods/romance mods/Rjali mod)

The choice of your words made me suspicious. rolleyes.gif They could mean you did not reinstall the game from scratch, but tried to remedy the mod order only. If so: Delete everything. Start a fresh, clean new installation. Chances are very high the "reinstallation" you mentioned left dangerous mines in the game. Please believe me, talking from experience.

Please post your weidu.log here, maybe we can find out together what "bugs" your game.

Sincerely, Seewead

Quote Post
Someone2000
post May 2 2024, 11:11 PM
Post #5

Forum Member

Thank you! How do I post that? Forgive me, I’m a bit of a neophyte when it comes to this. I’ve been adding mods for the last year but I’m no expert.

Here are the mods currently installed:

Alabaster Sands
All Things Mazzy
Alternatives
Arena
Ascension
Assassinations
Back to Brynnlaw
Blinking Dead
Bloodied Stings of Barovia
Branwen
Bridges Block
CD Tweaks
Crossmod Banter
Crucible
DeArnise
Eilistraee’s Song
Fade (very buggy)
Fishing For Trouble (this one seems very buggy and old, I will probably uninstall it soon)
Heroes, Thieves and Moneylenders
I Shall Never Forget
In Love Undeath
Inner shade
Nalia At Last
Oozes Lounge
Petsy (this one wasn’t buggy, but now it is)
Portraits Portraits Everywhere
Rjali Romance
Sellswords
Sirene NPC for BG2
Skie- the Cost of One Girl’s Soul
Southern Edge
Tales of the Deep Gardens
Tangled Oak Island
The White Queen
The Reunion
Tower of Deception
Varshoon
Whin Hill
Wilson Chronicles

I’ve had problems with several mods in the past and had to uninstall them (or stop trying to install them). Those include:

World map (wouldn’t show me Whin Hill or the White Queen map)
Check the Bodies (this mod kept crashing my game when a messenger would invite me to a party)
Tyris (kept crashing)
Tales of Anegh (couldn’t get it to work)
Shadows Over Soubar (the game kept crashing)
Unfinished Business (never got it to work)
Yvette (couldn’t get it to work)

I’ve heard it said that adding mods to a game is like adding rocket launchers to a car- it’s technically possible but really isn’t designed for that. Have I just gone overboard here? Is that the issue?

Thank you!

This post has been edited by Someone2000: May 2 2024, 11:11 PM

Quote Post
Seewead
post May 3 2024, 02:37 PM
Post #6

Forum Member

Uh, where to start. rolleyes.gif

1)
First of all you need to find the file named

WeiDU

It is a text-file (technically named WeiDU.log)

It is very easy to find, sitting at the same place as the execution file of your game (which you use to start the game). Because I have no idea which platform you use I can't be more specific. But to make an example for windows on Steam the place to look out would be here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition

Copy its content here in this thread.

2)
Mods are not always compatible to each other. That much should be clear without me enlarging on this subject. So at least you have to thoroughly read their readme to learn about their compatibility issues. If you don't than the occuring bugs are your own fault.

Even then incompatibilities use to come up. Because a mod author usually does not test his mod with _every_ other mod existing. In other words: When installing two mods that are not explicitly cleared in the respective readme of the two mods you are taking a risk. So there is a simple rule: Only install mods that you really really really want to use. Less is more here. It's simple probability: With each mod you are installing you are creating more and more possible bad interactions between the mods, and the risk is going up nearly exponentially. Less is more.

3)
Secondly I have to tell you that your problems are probably mostly on you. Yes, sometimes mods are not compatible with each other, but your way how you use mods is creating even more bugs and danger than there already is when using mods in the first place.

a.
Never ever "reinstall" in any kind. If your installation is incorrect then you have to start from scratch by erasing all mod file everywhere and completely reinstalling the whole game. Otherwise terrible things are bound to happen.

b.
Never ever uninstall mods during a running game. Do not touch your mods after the first step of your journey. Terrible things are programmed to happen if the game started with certain mod that you later erase.

Yes, in theory this might be possible. And sometimes this really works, but many times it only leads to desaster. So you would be outright crazy (excuse my bluntness) to try your luck like this, because each time you try a stunt like that you are risking the functionality of your saved games with usually many hundreds of hours game progress.

You experienced enough bugs already. So you know.

Next time you mod the game do it right. Then you won't have that much problems, I am sure of it.

Good luck, Seewead

edit: spelling

This post has been edited by Seewead: May 3 2024, 02:40 PM

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 05:15 PM