2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Progress report (2011+)
aigleborgne
post Jan 5 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Mod Developer

I still plan to release something this week-end.
I need to test again my 20 adventurers, they are a few things to change with my new detectable spells and a new behavior to decide when to attack with weapons for casters.
I've also made some changes with new tobEx triggers.

So, I should release it saturday or sunday.
I will not make a light package, full mod will be packaged. It will include everything I have done, but monsters won't work for sure, scripts are broken with my new system I guess (can't remember if I tried to generate them).

No readme will be included yet, it is usually done right before a true release ohmy.gif
It will be possible to change AI settings and generate scripts to include more detection, althrough I haven't tested full detection yet.
This could be also be done by WEIDU maybe, I'll check for this one day just before the final release.

Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Jan 7 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Mod Developer

This is it, first release is done smile.gif

Next release will be fast. I will include all P&P shapeshift forms and balanced totemic summon.
So it will be possible to fully understand that shapeshift is now a true power (previously, it was almost comestic)
Then, I will migrate all working monsters so they can be installed.

I should release all this in one month I guess.

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Jan 11 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Mod Developer

I have migrated all monster scripts and while it is far better, I still think I can make an improvement.
I am implementing a template system for monsters.

Basically, there is a default behavior for a monster script, then it can be altered with keyword or partial block codes.

For example, this is the most simple monster script:
CODE
// Elemental
[monster=race(ELEMENTAL),walk]
[generate]

A monster with one ability:
CODE
// Lesser Basilisk
[monster=race(BASILISK),walk]

[section=beforeCombat]
  [reallyForceSpell=Petrification]

[generate]

A monster with abilities and spells:
CODE
// Death Knight
[monster=class(DEATHKNIGHT),smart]

[section=beforeTracking]
  [reallyForceSpell=Death Knight Spell Turning]
  [action=timer(ja#detect,24),forceSpell(Detect Invisibility);requireSelf=nodisablecheck,nomem]

[section=beforeCombat]
  [reallyForceSpell=Demon Knight Fear]
  [action=forceSpell(WIZARD_TRUE_DISPEL_MAGIC,remove)]
  [action=forceSpell(DEATHKNIGHT_FIREBALL,remove)]
  [action=forceSpell(WIZARD_POWER_WORD_KILL),remove(WIZARD_POWER_WORD_KILL,WIZARD_POWER_WORD_STUN,WIZARD_POWER_WORD_BLIND);require=random(50)]
  [action=forceSpell(WIZARD_POWER_WORD_STUN),remove(WIZARD_POWER_WORD_KILL,WIZARD_POWER_WORD_STUN,WIZARD_POWER_WORD_BLIND);require=random(60)]
  [action=forceSpell(WIZARD_POWER_WORD_BLIND),remove(WIZARD_POWER_WORD_KILL,WIZARD_POWER_WORD_STUN,WIZARD_POWER_WORD_BLIND);require=random(20)]
  [action=forceSpell(Symbol of Pain),remove(Symbol of Pain,WIZARD_SYMBOL_FEAR);require=random(75)]
  [action=forceSpell(WIZARD_SYMBOL_FEAR),remove(PAIN,WIZARD_SYMBOL_FEAR);require=random(75)]
  [action=forceSpell(Wall of Ice)]

[generate]

As you can see, it is very easy to read.
Scripts are very short, so less potential bugs.

I've started to work on this, should be finished next week or maybe this week.
In the meantime, I'm adding new monsters relating to shapeshift.

Once everything is done, I will have to test again, one by one, all monsters.

I expect to release a new version in 2 months.
This version will be compatible with BGT (finally) !

Quote Post
Salk
post Jan 12 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #24

Multiclass F/C/M

Forum Member

The script looks really neat!

And great news about making the mod BGT compatible!

Thank you so much! wub.gif

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Jan 17 2012, 07:20 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

Mod Developer

I've finished my refactoring.
I've started testing monsters yesterday, beginning with bears.

2 major problems:
- movement speed, didn't seem to match P&P speed with my current formula (P&P Speed * 0.75 round to floor). So I changed it to P&P Speed * 0.8 round to ceiling. For example, bear has 12 in P&P, they are supposed to be as fast as human. Previously they had 9 in game but were a bit slower than human. Now they have 10, they can still be outrun a bit, but 11 is too much, they are faster!
- script problem, without adding ActionListEmpty() trigger to most blocks, I encounter a problem when some attack block are evaluated too often. When my creature was running to melee range, it would stop every 3 meters before running again. Obviously, it was really bad and totally not acceptable. ActionListEmpty() on most blocks (including targetting blocks) perfectly solve this issue.

I've also added bit 24 on flags for all druid polymorph forms weapons so they can't be dispelled. (thanks to TobEx)
I should finish my tests this evening, of course I am not testing all CRE (there are 32 for bears), just one of each sort (black, brown, cave, grizzly, mountain, and kaldran in durlag tower)

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Jan 23 2012, 12:59 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Mod Developer

Things are doing well smile.gif
I've finished several monsters:
- Ankheg
- Bear
- Cat
- Basilisk
- Carrion Crawler

I found some bugs related to script, experience, or movement speed. They are all corrected now!
This is, this time, my last run through monsters before final release.
Because each monster is exported on a separate file containing all cre with all changes (+ some other individual files for spells and effects), I am now sure that these files won't change 'till release.

I still want to make a full documentation of each monster changes (something like in aTweaks).

2 monsters found in Durlag's Tower will disappear and replaced by BG2 monster : greater ghoul and crypt crawler.
Keeping undead theme, it will be 2 undead. Right now, I am unsure of choice, but thinking about mummy and maybe vampires?
Of course, if I choose vampire, they will have less hd (down to 5-6 hd)

Normally, PC should be around level 7-8 for the last levels of Durlag's Tower. So it gives me some choice smile.gif
I might replace more monsters like ancien wyverns although I can't put dragons and wyverns are the best call after.
Eventually Dragons, I need to look at Monster Manual to read everything about the lowest hd dragons and their power.

Finally, BGT will not be supported so soon as I am not finding time to work on it.
Until the final release, it will be tutu exclusive.

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Feb 3 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Mod Developer

I'm glad to have time to work on my project these days.
I spend about 2-3 hours per day on it. This might seem a lot but it is not. Modding takes a lot of time.
To give an example, yesterday, I was testing again my adventurers found in the alpha release. Some of them weren't totally finished and need some work.
In about 2 hours, I've only done about 4-5 adventurers.

I am closed to finish my TODO list for next release.
Content:
- about 30-40 adventurers
- all monsters list here
- readme
- adventurers' documentation (class/kit, level, xp value, and eventually a note)
- monsters' documentation

It should be released in end february if I keep my current advancement.
I'm stilll in a polishing phase: scripts still need slight adjustements (which also mean generator's changes).
I like to use random walk for casters between spells, but sometimes, they get out of range and never come back ! Obviously, it was a problem tied to my tracking system. I think I have solved this issue, but I'm not sure and need a lot of testing because it doesn't occur everytime!

This post has been edited by aigleborgne: Feb 3 2012, 12:29 PM

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Feb 10 2012, 07:23 AM
Post #28

Group Icon

Mod Developer

I'm closed to release alpha v0.2.
Only 2 monsters to finish : Hobgobelin and Kobold.
And making monster's documentation (other readme are done)

I should release it next week smile.gif

After, I will take a break of one or two weeks to test Lost Crossroads (SpellPack).

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Feb 15 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

Mod Developer

Before finishing Hobgobelin and Kobold, I'm doing monsters' documentation.

I have almost finished but during the process, I have found some bugs and took time to correct them.
In that regard, documentation was a good way to control many things.

Additionally, I am implementing D&D 3rd edition monster's types because I think it makes more sense.
For example, constructs (mainly helmed horror, battle horror, flesh golem) have the same immunities as undead, plus :
- immunity to any necromancy effect (ie: spells)
- bonus hit points based on their size (battle horror gets 20 hp bonus)
- 10 hit dice size
- no good saving throws (translated by 20 in all saves)

One item for one type's traits, as undead in vanilla.

I will check again, but I think undead should get more immunities. For example, any life drain like vampiric touch or larloch should not work with undead. I will check and update if necessary.
I will not use RING95 but a new ring instead of.
Undead will have 12 hit dice size now (probably to balance their lack of constitution ?). It is 50% more than in vanilla !

I have already updated most of monsters but I need to test everything to make sure it works as intended.
Then, I'm not sure to be able to release something this week, but I will try anyway smile.gif

Lastly, I'm quite interested by Hard Times mod because Mac Ready got a good point on iron crisis not reflected in game.
BG1 is full of magical items...
I'll probably go in the same way when changing items on an adventurer.
I will check exactly how it is done, I agree to stricly limit magical weapons but I don't want to give a normal weapon (that can be broken) on an important adventurer either.
I remember reading a note where fine weapons would replace +1 weapons.

If I validate this point, I will have to check again my 30 adventurers. Some of them have magical weapons or arrows.

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Feb 20 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #30

Group Icon

Mod Developer

Hard Times is now part of my install.
I have spent my whole week-end on a new install, which will be more or less definitive.

I am currently thinking of implementing "3rd edition bonuses for ability points" for monsters.
It would only concern bonus hit points from constitution. I think it would be better than 2nd edition system.
And it is optional during install, although it won't be 2nd, 3rd, or none.

I will not release anything this month finally, because I am testing SpellPack (Lost Crossroads).
And since I got no feedback from first release, I don't feel to be in a hurry for a next release that would be probably not beeing tested smile.gif

On a final note, I will check if Infinite Animations is installed and update a few CRE that don't benefit from new animations.
For example, there is Icharyd, skeleton warrior.

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Mar 12 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Mod Developer

I have worked a bit these last weeks and I have done about 70% of all monsters.
I am currently working on Ogre Mage, and it took me the whole week-end (several hours) to make their abilities.
It is an interesting monster, which is pretty important in BG1.

In vanilla game, ogre mages are almost classic wizard with a semi-random spellbook.
I have restored all of their P&P spells and abilities. They have 4 abilities that can be cast at will (invisibility, regenerate, cause darkness 10 feet, fly) and 4 spells with one use per day: cone of cold, charm person, assume gaseous form, sleep.

I freely chose to use dire charm instead of charm person (because charm person is really weak because target will do nothing)

I haven't done their script yet, but they might be weaker.
Cone of cold is their only damaging spell : it does about 8d8 or 8d6, half if saves are successful.

Charm and sleep are nice also, althrough they can be resist.
Beyond these spells, others are just defensive.
It will regenerate 1hp / round and fly at 15 movement speed with immunities to ground based spells (web, grease, ...)

Invisibility might interesting in combat : they will try to escape to regenerate.
Here, there is a lot to do: escaping with gaseous form, going invisible before or after, regenerate, and back to combat eventually.
Gaseous form give them about the same as ghostform of SR plus a few more effects like flying at 18 movement speed, 50% resistance to magic, fire, cold, electricity, acid. Thus, it is great for escaping a tough situation.

All their abilities are cast at 1 casting speed and can't be interrupt.

So globally, ogre-mages loose a bit their offensive abilities but gain a lot in defensive. They might become annoying but less dangerous.
Although on a low level party, their cone of cold is highly dangerous.

Quote Post
Salk
post Mar 14 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #32

Multiclass F/C/M

Forum Member

Sounds good. In BG1 Ogra Mages were rather scary and I think that Enhanced Cratures is not making them any less scary, all considered!

Good work! thumb.gif

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Mar 26 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

Mod Developer

I have almost finished all ogres (will be finished in a few days), this is about 100 creatures (BG1 and BG2).

I have implemented a few things for ogres, that I might extend to some monsters like gnolls.
For normal monsters, no change. It is only for chiefs and leaders.

To be clear, I will take an example:
- a classic ogre is 4 hit dice
- a leader can be 6+ hit dice. vanilla game gave them very high thaco and increase attack per round. This makes them more powerful than in Enhanced Creatures.

I wanted an intelligent solution and 3rd edition gave me some directions with barbarian ogres.
So... when a monster have more hit dice than he should have, he becomes a fighter and starts gaining proficiencies like a fighter.
Becoming a fighter also means he will recieve an extra half attack at level 7 and 13.

Basically, in P&P, a monster is supposed to be able to use his weapon (one star in this weapon).
But a level 13 ogre should still attack as level 4 ogre? Only a better thac0 would make them different ?
If answer is yes, it kills most challenges in BG as it is a common fact.

A concrete example with Berserker Ogre.
I used barbarian ogre found in 3rd edition : they have 5hd and only have 1 apr (compared to 2 in vanilla).
But they follow barbarian kit and gains its advantages : immune to backstab, +2 movement speed, rolls 10 size-dice instead of 8, ... and their rage is mix of vanilla and 3rd edition. They get 2 rages per day, and it lasts 1 turn followed by 3 turns of fatigue.

I tried to make a duel between vanilla berserker ogre and mine. It is very close each time but vanilla usually win smile.gif
Now, rage and speed will bring more challenge versus a party.

Berserker ogre leaders (8+ hd) will start to gain proficiencies:
- level 8 : 2 stars in morning stars
- level 11 : 2 stars in morning stars, 1 in single weapon
- level 14 : 2 stars in morning stars, 2 in single weapon
As barbarian kit, they can't go further 2 stars, but a classic ogre leader could go up to 5.

Larz, level 14-15 ogre in vanilla (his hd might be incorrect, but looking at thac0 and hit points, it is in this range).
He has a very low thac0 and 3 APR.
Mine will have 2.5 apr but better critical and damage, plus a rage ability. He will also 10 or 15% resistance to physical damage, immunity to backstab, better movement speed. Overall, he will be stronger than vanilla, at least in the first turn. After, he is less dangerous when fatigued.

Another example: Kahrk, leader of ogre-mages. It is said in P&P that they can learn martial arts.
As a result, I decided that Kahrk would be a monk, with all ogre mage powers (plus additionnal use for some spells as a leader).
I noticed that Kahrk had a bonus AC vs missiles, which is a bonus given to monks.
Kahrk is now level 14 monk ogre-mage with many abilities
Is he stronger than in vanilla? Not so sure, in vanilla he has minor globe and many offensive spells but he was exactly a mage with more powerful melee abilities.

Mine is a stronger ogre mage. All ogre-mages abilities that can be cast once per day have been trippled: 3 cone of cold, 3 dire charm, 3 gaseous form basically.
On top of that, he gains all abilities of a level 14 monk, which make him more resilient and far better in melee.
About 2.5 apr with 1-12 fists, add other abilities like stunning blow and you obtain a quite unique monster.

On a final note, I am also writting a new script generator from scratch. This new version is very well written and should be a lot better than my current one.
I still have problems with scripts in general. I can't do what I want and it is really a mess. But I have doing this task separatly because I want to finish monster component as possible. I will just have to do a refactoring to scripts on a later stage.

Quote Post
Salk
post Apr 5 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #34

Multiclass F/C/M

Forum Member

This update is really interesting.

Ogres are some of my favourite monsters.... happy.gif But when you write that scripts are still a mess I get a bit worried since a good AI mod must have scripts working very well. Am I wrong?

Quote Post
aigleborgne
post Apr 7 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #35

Group Icon

Mod Developer

QUOTE(Salk @ Apr 5 2012, 04:18 PM) *
This update is really interesting.

Ogres are some of my favourite monsters.... happy.gif But when you write that scripts are still a mess I get a bit worried since a good AI mod must have scripts working very well. Am I wrong?

Obviously not, you are right.
Script files are good in fact, problem is generated scripts, which are related to engine flaws or known issues.
So, it can be corrected at any moment by changing script generator. An action I have started but it will takes some time.

By that time, I will continue to work on monsters. Although these days, I have done almost nothing, I'm quite tired.

Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2024 - 01:46 AM