> New World map for WTP
Sir-Kill
post Dec 6 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #1

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

here is the final render of the world map v. 1

Click here for homepage click the 'View Large World Map' link to see a bigger image but you will either have to play the game or mod for wtp to see all the details that I have put in there tongue.gif smile.gif

Some stats:
rendered in 3ds max7 w/o any post work
psp8 to create the textures
full image 8000x6336
Mos size 61.9mb
vertex count 36781
poly count 32999
triangle count 72660
texture/maps used 179
different elements 34
rendering time about 1 1/2 hrs.
start/end time Mar 17 2006 - Dec 6 2006
263 days worked, conservative estimate hours worked per day 5 = 1315 hrs

Crazy or dedicated??

this has been a learning experience for me. There has been 2 versions created but half way through the first I had to start over since my computer is a hunk of junk and I created too many polys for this computer to handle thus the restart. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Sir-Kill: Dec 7 2006, 11:30 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
K'aeloree
post Dec 7 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #2

A Sometime Apprentice

Forum Member

What program did you use? It's absolutely gorgeous!

Quote Post
Sir-Kill
post Dec 7 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #3

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

Thanks
updated first post
3ds max7
psp8

--------------------

Quote Post
Valiant
post Dec 8 2006, 06:53 AM
Post #4

3ds Max Mage
Group Icon

Mod Developer

Hi Sir-Kill,

It looks very nice indeed. Is there any chance you can send me the base of this map. I mean just the plain .MAX file, without textures. I would like to experiment my own and there´s no time to create the new one from scratch for me... If not, nevermind. BTW, I´m planning to make some tutorials for 3ds Max, mostly for creating indoor and outdoor areas, default camera systems and also some texturing tutorials... In PDF, of course...

So??

--------------------
Valiant

Tower Of Deception creator.

Quote Post
K'aeloree
post Dec 8 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #5

A Sometime Apprentice

Forum Member

I'd love to have a copy as well, if you don't mind... smile.gif I'd be really interested to see how you did it!

Quote Post
Sir-Kill
post Dec 9 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #6

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

I have been debating on this request I cant put my finger on why I have to say no but I do sorry.
to Valiant, I am not sure that it would be very usable to you being a very low poly model it is kind of exact to this application alone. I think I have moved almost every other vertex and turned half the faces. one more reason it has took me so long.

to K'aeloree, how I did it was using Valiant's tutorial on iwd snowy areas (the modeling part) but replacing nurbs with planes since the former uses too many polys and I do not care for the controls of nurbs. even with using planes the first model used around 1,000,000 polys and it took me about 3-10 seconds just to move one vertex

anyway I used a plane with about 10 - 10 L & H segments. then selecting certain polys I used tessellate where I needed more details mainly the mountains, rivers& lakes, and shore then repeat, repeat, repeat. this way the bottom of the ocean only has a couple 100 polys instead of 1000's. this gave me a rough amount of polys.
using the cut tool and insert vertex adding more where I needed. since tessellate would not work anymore after the displace modifier was added permanently.

texturing/mapping is where I made up for the lack of polys mainland is made up of 6-8 gradient maps with a lot of mix mapping. lakes rivers and lava I used bitmaps and opacity maps.
well pic's are worth 1000 words and I have babbled long enough.
camera1_wireframe
camera2_lit_and_smooth&highlight

This post has been edited by Sir-Kill: Dec 9 2006, 12:26 PM

--------------------

Quote Post
Valiant
post Dec 9 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #7

3ds Max Mage
Group Icon

Mod Developer

Heya Sir-Kill

I completely understand what are you talking about. I would behave the same way you did being in your position. So don´t worry about it, it´s okay...

And what do you think about my tutorial idea?? Do you agree with me in it?? I hope so...

But when I´ll be done with my small mod (...one area graphics left for me to do...), I will create some independet areas, and, if you find it useful, you´ll may use it in WTP...

So? What do you think now??

This post has been edited by Valiant: Dec 9 2006, 04:57 PM

--------------------
Valiant

Quote Post
Sir-Kill
post Dec 9 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #8

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

the tutorial was great it worked just like you said. smile.gif
however this 800 mhz comp does not handle scripted materials well (SimbiontMAX) but the displace modifier was invaluable

I'd love to see your work in wtp

--------------------

Quote Post
Galactygon
post Dec 15 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Mod Developer

The worldmap looks vaguely like Iceland. smile.gif

-Galactygon

This post has been edited by Galactygon: Dec 15 2006, 11:31 PM

--------------------

Quote Post
Rabain
post Jan 20 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #10

GOD

Retired team member

Screenshot of the new Worldmap ingame:

This worldmap is 3968x3136 so it is approximately half size of Sir-Kill's original image above. We are debating using this size or the full size. This one is about 4 times the size of the BG2 Worldmap. Full-size might be a bit too big for players, though it is nice to look at!

IPB Image

Quote Post
HERD
post Jan 20 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #11

The Islander
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

It looks like the icons are a bit bigger than they should be on this size. (I think full size would be better.)

Quote Post
Rabain
post Jan 20 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #12

GOD

Retired team member

The only problem I had with the full size map is that it takes ages to scroll around the map. I know pushing the edge of the screen moves a bit quicker but still...there is a lot of map!

The other option would be to reduce the existing icons by...50%? This is fairly easy to do in BamWorkshop, 30 seconds work really.

The existing icons will only be a small number of the planned icons. We are hoping for in the region of 50 for our initial release, hopefully not using any of the original ones for the area's in that release.

Of course any other idea's are welcomed.

Quote Post
K'aeloree
post Jan 21 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #13

A Sometime Apprentice

Forum Member

Maybe you could give the option of having a smaller map or a larger map? I know it would be more work, but I think some players would really appreciate it. I'd love the ability to be able to explore a gigantic map - it gives the feel that the world is actually that big.

Regardless - wow, and I can't wait to try it out myself! biggrin.gif

Quote Post
Rabain
post Jan 21 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #14

GOD

Retired team member

Okay here are two screen shots of the full size 8000x6336 worldmap:

http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/~rabain/WTP/bigwmp.JPG

http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/~rabain/WTP/bigwmp2.JPG

Just to give you an idea of scale the first image shows the same lake as in the first screenshot above. The second image shows the Watchers Keep icon against the large size map.

Also note that the part of the map you are seeing in these screenshots is the mountain range in the extreme top left of the main continent as seen in SK's full worldmap in his post above.

Also note that the location of Watchers Keep in both size versions of the worldmap is at the same co-ordinates as it appears on the original BG2 map. These maps at either size are HUGE (yes with capital letters)!! smile.gif

Quote Post
Valiant
post Jan 21 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #15

3ds Max Mage
Group Icon

Mod Developer

Hi guys,

The best choice IMO would be to use a half-sized map picture with resized map icons to 75%. I was looking at those two screenshots with original worldmap that Rabain posted. Problem is that on original worldmap you can see textures used for rendering and they are starting to be very big and simple comparing with hills, or mountains... and on half-sized worldmap not. For example snow is going to be a bit blurry in the original.
Just a thought...

--------------------
Valiant

Quote Post
Rabain
post Jan 21 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #16

GOD

Retired team member

The smaller map would be my preference too Valiant. Too much detail on the large map is not necessarily a good thing.

The 75% map icons is a good idea too!

Here are two more worldmap locations for you to drool over:

http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/~rabain/WTP/volcano.jpg

http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/~rabain/WTP/waterfall.jpg

Quote Post
Sir-Kill
post Jan 21 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #17

consiglieri
Group Icon

Member of Graphics Dept.

as far as the textures go in the icons post that is actually 2 different textures, the scale makes you view them at different locations. I have at least 3 different mountain looks

rab you might want to crop the image to keep a good scale. crop the image the the same size as the original bg2 map size

--------------------

Quote Post
Valiant
post Jan 21 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #18

3ds Max Mage
Group Icon

Mod Developer

Yeah, Sir-Kill, good idea. No need to have a world map much bigger than original Bioware artwork.

To Rabain: pictures looks fine, is it 50% scaled down??

--------------------
Valiant

Quote Post
Baronius
post Jan 21 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #19

Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member

If you're talking of the "real" in-game map, I don't think it's good to "force" the map to be almost as big as the BG2 worldmap. This is a much bigger area, so why to restrict it. I think it's very cool and spectacular for players, and offers a lot of space for mods. A little scrolling occasionally isn't so horrible; the worldmap is not viewed in every minute after all. I'm with the "50% map size / 75% icon size" suggestion.

--------------------
Mental harmony dispels the darkness.

Quote Post
Rabain
post Jan 21 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #20

GOD

Retired team member

I'm not completely sure what Sir-Kill was saying in his post.

The image in my first post that has the screenshot in the post is our worldmap image reduced by 50% compared to the image Sir-Kill made in 3DS. That image is 3968x3136 after being reduced from 8000x6336.

The mapicon sizes in the screenshots have not been reduced at all from how they appear in a normal BG2 game.

I do not believe that anyone is suggesting that our Worldmap should be the same dimensions as the original BG2 worldmap which is a sad 1470x700. If that were the case then the icons would be appearing on a Worldmap that looks something like what you see on the WTP homepage when you click on View Large Worldmap. I think we would lose a lot of the time and effort SK has put into the detail to be seen on a larger version.

Let me give you a comparison. The BG2 worldmap covers Amn, the Cloudpeaks and some of Tethyr. Our worldmap covers an area similar in size to most of the Faerunian continent. It needs to be bigger!

Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th August 2024 - 08:14 AM