5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vagrant's journal, Building as OP crew as possible
pekkae
post Jan 6 2022, 11:53 AM
Post #1

Forum Member

Welcome.

Playing like it was planned to be played. As I have some time on my hands until the end of January and it's like a lockdown here in Finland, what else am I going to do? ( I could ... read books, finish school or something else but ... oh well)

The rules

- No non-protagonist-related drops (no Necro's stuff etc.).
- Our Custom Characters get 90 points to divide among attributes.
- We have the tomes from bg1 to spread among our crew
- Simplified economy + we'll console in the trinkets we need
- No personal stuff, except for the NPC's we are using
(EDIT: - We learn all spells (so we lower difficulty when scribing scrolls)
(EDIT2: - Forging restrictions in place as well)

The exceptions

- We will most likely give our sorcerer (sorceress) the same bonus spell slots as other mages get. I don't get why sorcerers spell slots are not developing in later levels where as every other arcane caster's slots will. Though this will be at such a late stage that it doesn't probably matter at all.
- We have a few supplementing items we'll use throughout the game (described below).

Thoughts on the crew

I think I have this figured out.

We are not looking to survive the mod. We are looking to obliterate all opposition and in every and all possible encounters to milk away as many summons as possible to max out our rewards. Our plan is to once again do the demogorgon fight as fast as possible and then just dominate the rest of the way. Demogorgon with my style requires enormous spellcasting capabilities up front while enormous H2H capabilities throughout the fight. We'll try to construct our crew so that every character will be completely and insanely OP once they are fully developed.That's the way we like it. That's the plan. I'm not sure how it will work out. The 2nd thing is that we like characters who can fill out multiple roles, even though in some cases we lose out on some uber-powers.

For Chapters 2-3 we'll just take on rotating crew members so we'll ave as easy time as possible as we want to maximize fun while minimizing endless reloads & trying to figure out tactics. Or our tactic boils down to maximize strengths, enter, obliterate, repeat.

Since we are playing with a Vagrant we won't have a Necro with us. That means we could be somewhat more powerful in chapters 1-5 as plethora of characters are much more powerful than a Necro throughout chapters 1-5 (think: Berserker/Mage, Auramaster, Thief/Mage or even Nalia or especially Edwin). Edwin can easily wipe the floor with a Necro until chapter 6 (+2 spells per level, mirror images, II's). However, since we'll still need 2 spell casters and we absolutely need a sorcerer for early access to all lvl 9 spells, we won't bring Edwin along to spellhold. Most likely. And we want our supporting arcane spellcaster to be able to do something else than just casting, so Edwin won't fill that spot either.

Composition

We have our "tank" covered in Vagrant, who by chapter 7 will be better at tanking than any other character in the game. So no DD this time around though we will take one for chapters 2-3 but we most likely won't bring a DD around for spellhold so our tanking capabilities there will take a big hit. Gladly warrior HLA's won't be that far away once in chapter 4 but for a few key fights we'll need a way to survive. As the fights in chapters 4&5 are dominable with 2,5 fighters (that means 2 full fighters +a dual classed / multi-classed one), our plan of bringing along 3-4 full fighters (or characters who count as such under buffs) means we should be more than equipped to handle those encounters.

We are quite set on Vagrant obviously. After that it's Jaheira and Neera. Those are the locks. Neera because of the nice extra quest in ToB and also because she has great stats & personal item. Jaheira because we've never played it and we need healer. She's supposed to be great and she can fill out both "healer" spot as well as dish out huge amounts of damage in H2H (while buffed).

Vagrant is the best tank in the game and can deal & absorb an insane amount of damage as well, but we do need some help up front so we'll take either one of the ultimate damage dishers, so either Riskbreaker or a Kensai. I can't wrap my head around why RB is better than a Kensai, but I've had a Kensai / a version of a Kensai with previous runs so I'm really too familiar with it - I've done everything I wanted with it. Riskbreaker would be a nice change. That's the only reason we are leaning towards a RB.

We need a supportive arcane caster, so we'll do a custom thief/mage, who'll join in Spellhold. This character will fill out a number of roles, it can support in h2h and will fill out the role of supportive arcane caster. It can also hide in shadows and backstab. Yay!

Then it's just the last slot. We have 3 fighters already in Vagrant, RB ( or Kensai) and the Avenger (so 3 chars who can critical strike already). We have our arcane spell casting covered in Neera + Thief/Mage. We have "only" Jaheira as a healer so we have quite the doubts about our healing capabilities, as we are lacking a Necro & Cernd. So we would likely be looking into healing as well as H2H capabilities.

Pure Cleric's are out of the question because the dual classed version is superior in every way, even getting a 7th level fighter dualled to cleric pumps the cleric to a whole new level. So our choices boil down to dual-/multiclassed fighter-cleric characters where a character like Dwarven Fighter/Cleric would probably fit perfectly. Normally we would be looking into Fighter/Druid combinations, since it's easily and by far superior to the cleric-combinations but ... we already have that in Jaheira and I don't want two very similar characters. Also various Paladin's (or a blackguard for it has permanen NPP + immunity to fear) would be a possibility but since they are quite terrible as healers and lose out to a regular fighter in H2H, it will most likely be a smoother ride with another type of a character on board. And last but definitely not least is the Ranger/Cleric combination, enabling the OP version (where the char will get druidic spells as well). We don't really see why if druidic spells aren't enabled would anyone play that class, as losing out grand mastery and/or faster level gains hurts. A lot.

We are leaning towards the R/C or the dwarven F/C. The F/C could easily utilize staves until chapter 6 when it gets the warrior HLA's. It won't be any sort of a problem protecting that character unitl then. Also Rasaad could be an option.

So we would end up with the following, where last changes will be made in Spellhold. It would be easier if we postpone the last changes until chapter 6, but that feels a little bit like cheating.

PC: Vagrant
Jaheira the Avenger
Neera the Sorceror
Custom T->M
Custom RB (or a Kensai)

And the last slot (most likely) goes to;

Custom Dwarven F/C
Custom Ranger/Cleric combination
Mazzy Fentan
Blackguard (possibly Dorn)
Rasaad

Non IA Item's we'll use.

I think compliment IA's items quite nicely while not being OP (with the possible exception of Aegis of Torment)

Tymora's gift (belt +10MR, +3Luck, ch 3)
Black Wolf Talisman (amulet, +10HP, +10Resistance to Cold, +1 AC, ch 2)
Clasp of Bron's Cloak (amulet, +5 phys resistance, ch 3)
Aegis of Torment (amulet, +3AC, +2CON, +15HP, ch 6)
(Edit: we also upgraded the reaching ring to a version that has bonus spells from levels 1-7, instead of levels 5,6 & 7)

+ possibly

Amulet of Ilmater (amulet, +1 AC, +3 Saves, immunity to poison, chapter 6)
Sash of the Black Raven (for a monk, +2 thac0, +2 AC, chapter 6)
Heaven & Earth (mace +4, +2 str, ch 6)
(EDIT: ^We only used amulet of Ilmater)

(EDIT: If anyone is interested the item packs are "Item Pack by Daulmakan 1,8" & "Item upgrade mod pack by Westley Weimer v 4.0". In addition to the items up above they do introduce items that are completely OP, which we do not use & new ways of forging (like rings of protection +2 for 5k), which we do not use either).

This post has been edited by pekkae: Feb 23 2022, 06:55 AM
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
kilorew
post Jan 6 2022, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Forum Member

Will be following along, I found out IA is impossible to beat solo (Managed to get to EDE but the regen was too much)

But I am determined to beat it, seems like full party is the go. Will your prior runs party be more OP or will this ones do you think?

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 6 2022, 07:16 PM
Post #3

Forum Member

QUOTE(kilorew @ Jan 6 2022, 03:56 PM) *
Will be following along, I found out IA is impossible to beat solo (Managed to get to EDE but the regen was too much)

But I am determined to beat it, seems like full party is the go. Will your prior runs party be more OP or will this ones do you think?

Should be quite a tough journey, if you want to Solo. Some of the fights though might be easier with a solo character, like the golem fights where they can't do anything against a solo f/m with PfMW.

Did you Solo through JD & Demogorgon, Good Bad & Ugly and the mage stronghold fight with Pasha? I really can't see how those are possible, especially demogorgon.

This will be the most OP party possible with current rules.

Quote Post
kilorew
post Jan 7 2022, 07:04 AM
Post #4

Forum Member

QUOTE(pekkae @ Jan 6 2022, 07:16 PM) *
QUOTE(kilorew @ Jan 6 2022, 03:56 PM) *

Should be quite a tough journey, if you want to Solo. Some of the fights though might be easier with a solo character, like the golem fights where they can't do anything against a solo f/m with PfMW.

Did you Solo through JD & Demogorgon, Good Bad & Ugly and the mage stronghold fight with Pasha? I really can't see how those are possible, especially demogorgon.

This will be the most OP party possible with current rules.

Yeah cleared everything except for Demogorgon (Lower fire resistance was too much) and EDE (Couldn't output enough damage over the regen)

That's why I think it's impossible for solo (on this patch anyway)

I assume your prior run w/ the necro had the superior party.

Quote Post
Nominar
post Jan 7 2022, 07:30 PM
Post #5

Forum Member

We will most likely give our sorcerer (sorceress) the same bonus spells as other mages get.

What spells don't sorcerers get? The last time I had a sorcerer was probably around 6.1-6.2

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 7 2022, 08:12 PM
Post #6

Forum Member

QUOTE(Nominar @ Jan 7 2022, 07:30 PM) *
We will most likely give our sorcerer (sorceress) the same bonus spells as other mages get.

What spells don't sorcerers get? The last time I had a sorcerer was probably around 6.1-6.2

Somewhere around level 30/31 or so Mages get +1 spell per level. Sorcerer's do not.

( or at least on my necro run necro gets the bonus spells while a sorcerer doesn't. so necro ends up with more spell slots than a sorcerer )

This post has been edited by pekkae: Jan 7 2022, 08:18 PM

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 7 2022, 08:23 PM
Post #7

Forum Member

Here's a simple template to follow for as easy time as possible. Will touch upon quests where there's something to touch upon.

Join Minsc (Berserker)
Join Jaheira
Join Yoshimo (Riskbreaker)
Exit Dungeon, no "flaming sword" but we do get a "Bala's Axe". It goes to Vagrant.

The start is trivial. We do the following quests:

Find mimic's blood

Madaulf wants to make a deal with the village

Animal trouble in trademeet
join Cernd
Faldron: We interrupt "creeping doom" with Llarcloch's minor drain. Then charm 2 bears, then next 2. Then attack with all and Faldorn is toast.

Trademeet genies / Adratha's cottage
Prebuff outside. Summon clan spirit up stairs. Initiate by attacking Adratha. Cernd / Jaheira, with skins, takes aggro. Adratha misses absolute immunity and clan spirit takes care of spawning rakshasas.

Suna Seni
We interrupt the cleric, then just drop n x emotion on them.

Kalah & Circus tent- quest
Cernd is completely OP for this

Sir Sarles

Return neb's head

The "fallen paladins" quest

Do all of the thief stronghold quests (the Mae'Var quest - line & reject stronghold)

Jaheira's poisoned man quest

Xzar & Montaron

Solve Skinner murders
Clan Spirit with Minsc takes the lead here. Clan spirit is quite OP at this stage. It's easily our best tank at this stage.

2nd Druid Grove quest (the troll)

Dryads at Windspear Hills

Rasaad's quests
So join Rasaad, drop Yoshimo

Investigate activities in the backrooms of copper coronet
Max prebuffs, interrupt beastmaster, death spell for little enemies. Clan spirit tanks tabitha.

Hexxat's request (tomb of dragomir - part)
Join Clara. drop Rasaad

Wellyn

Baron ployer

Move to Chapter 3 (not a single difficult quest done)
Join hexxat

Mook (we have a berserker + AoP + Hexxat so no problem)

**status**

Party at 730kexp
gold at 70k

We haven't needed a mage yet. But now for some changes: Join Edwin, Join Korgan (so now we have 4 temporary members in Cernd + Edwin + Korgan + Hexxat). We buy a few spells for Edwin (for 2,5k or so) to make his spell selections useful (stoneskin, greater malision, emotion, hold person + lower resistances). We also forge iron horn of Valhalla + buy Clasp of Bron's Cloak. We are looking to lose Hexxat immediately after her quests are done and Edwin will make room for Neera quite soon.

** /status **

What we're planning on doing with the NPC's is use their strengths in the beginning, activate their quests and then after we're done replace them by permanent party members. That way we can max our exp from the mundane stuff and leave as much content as possible for post-spellhold adventures. And it's nice to have a little bit of variety before we lock our crew.

This post has been edited by pekkae: Jan 8 2022, 08:27 PM

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 9 2022, 04:52 PM
Post #8

Forum Member

Mencar Pebblecrusher
Max buffs. Max summons. Clan Spirit tanks. Remove magic, greater malision + emotion (x 3). Hexxat summons some wolves for fodder.

Korgan's quest
Spider groups take greater malision + emotion

Find the kidnappers who buried Tirdir

Pai'Na
rebuff with freea action, then Death spell + whack

Hidden Refuge (the minor quests)
Drop Edwin, join Neera

Cult of the eyeless
Just greater malision + emotion away. Emotion is far more effective than "hold monster" here.

Party at 875k exp. And Neera takes Improved Haste. Great. And now we're going to dominate.

Druid Grove part 2, the Chaos quest
Very easy with a double-druid's call lightning away.

Slaver Stockade
We prebuff, enter, summon fodder (Joolon, Berserk from Iron Horn) near Captain. Cernd interrupts the cleric with flame arrow, then we greater malision + emotion away. Jaheira summons some bears. Captain (haegan was it?) gets remove magic, then gm + emotion (he doesn't fall for emotion, but everyone around him does).

Forge Paws of the furious cat for Jaheira. Now she can get 6APR (under IH) with a 2-handed weapon. A barbarian / ranger / paladin / dd has to wait until "final seal" level for the gauntlets of extraordinary specialization to get to 6 APR under IH). So an avernger is like a a turbocharged fighter at this point. Then she gets to summon the clan spirit, which is more effective than a regular fighter at this point, especially against golems. It's nuts.

Hexxat's Quest #1 (the claw of the black leopard)
Whack the unfortunate spirit priests,

Crypt King & Queen
Forge enchanced cloak of dragomir
Join Nalia, drop Hexxat. We are overjoyed to find out that Nalia has MS6, great! Now we have lan spirit, minotaurs and soon swanmay's and mordekainen's swords.

De'Arnise Keep
The first fight where we need a tactic.

I'm unsure what's happened, but Tor'Gal fight has 2 giant trolls + 3 noble trolls + Tor'Gal + Gem. With dispel's and everything. that seems a bit too much. We haven't had a single difficult fight up to this point and we are on our way to maximizing exp so ... ok. But the thing is. We don't really have weapons +3 that can hurt the noble trolls, besides frostreaver and the staff of Arundel. PC is level 11. Then again. We're OP.

Max prebuffs. Summon clan spirit + Joolon + Minotaur (Neera has MS6).

We divide them. Cernd takes the gem, Korgan (+ Jaheira) takes 3 noble trolls + 2 giant trolls. PC + Clan Warrior + Minotaur go for Tor'Gal. We first death spell giant trolls (Cernd), finish noble trolls (Korgan + Jaheira + Flame Arrows from Neera & Nalia), then mages turn gem golem into a chicken, while the fighters focus on Tor'Gal. We use some wares in 3 scrolls of flame arrows, 2 scrolls of lower resistances, 1 haste + 4 potions of superior healing + 4 potions of extra healing. This took time & thought. Quite easily doable but not quite "march in and dominate", as we're looking to do.

Borinali (dawn ring - quest)
Don't attak the amber, turn it into a chicken. gm + emotion for assasins. breach borinali when he activates a HLA.

Summoned to the harper hold

Rescue Garren's Child / Windspear Hills
Even though we feel we are too low level for this, the first batch of golems isn't a problem. It goes rather smoothly, DD & clan spirit barricade the doorway. We always summon the clan spirit, at this stage Clan Spirit is our best frontline tank. And it's not even close. We're only doing this because Conster has RRoR scrolls. The 2nd batch is more problematic but the biggest problems come from eminent vampires as DD doesn't have a range weapon so he's quite useless. We have to do this fight with summons, Vagrant + Jaheira. We just barely make it, as Vampires regen quite fast. The eminent vampires are the most difficult fight here, everything else we kind of breeze through.

Conster fight is nice. We can easily spare 2 RRoR scrolls, as we get many more from here. (Planar Prison here we come). We prebuff in Firkraag's lair so IH on fighters + Holy Power on Jaheira. Move in & Jaheira summons the clan spirit, Cernd Joolon near skeleton lord #2 (to buy time for clan spirit to skin up). Fighters go for Skeleton Lord #1 once they materialize. Casters first 2xRRoR & unleash energy, then Secret Word + Breach + Doom, then Greater Malision + Hold Monster + Cernd Flame Arrows to interrupt, then Hold monster again and the 2nd one sticks. After that we move to distract the Skeleton Lords (Neera has 5 skins & -1 in casting time) and cast a few heals on fighters. After we've milked all Skeleton Lords we whack Conster., who is held. We find 5 RRoR scrolls and are overjoyed. This is the 3rd fight that we know of, where "hold monster" actually works.

This post has been edited by pekkae: Jan 9 2022, 05:01 PM

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 9 2022, 05:00 PM
Post #9

Forum Member

** Status **

Party at 1,3Mexp
Gold at 80k
24 Dispel / Remove magic scrolls (Yea!)
0 Barbarian Essences
7 Scrolls of RRoR

Fun level: Much fun.

** / Status **

This post has been edited by pekkae: Jan 9 2022, 05:00 PM

Quote Post
bulian
post Jan 10 2022, 12:25 PM
Post #10

Forum Member

QUOTE(pekkae @ Jan 7 2022, 08:12 PM) *
QUOTE(Nominar @ Jan 7 2022, 07:30 PM) *

Somewhere around level 30/31 or so Mages get +1 spell per level. Sorcerer's do not.

( or at least on my necro run necro gets the bonus spells while a sorcerer doesn't. so necro ends up with more spell slots than a sorcerer )

I checked the 2DA file and At lvl 31, mages catch up to sorcerers in terms of total spells per day cast, except necromancers have +3 per day, +2 from item and +1 from being a specialist mage. Neera gets some bonus spells from her robe as well, so I suspect you will have quitw the arcane fire power.

Nalia is probably better long term than a multi T/M, particularly considering her OP ring. But it depends what you want out of the party member.

Good luck with the run!

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 10 2022, 12:43 PM
Post #11

Forum Member

QUOTE(bulian @ Jan 10 2022, 12:25 PM) *
I checked the 2DA file and At lvl 31, mages catch up to sorcerers in terms of total spells per day cast, except necromancers have +3 per day, +2 from item and +1 from being a specialist mage. Neera gets some bonus spells from her robe as well, so I suspect you will have quitw the arcane fire power.

Nalia is probably better long term than a multi T/M, particularly considering her OP ring. But it depends what you want out of the party member.

Good luck with the run!

My Necro run has Necro at +1 spells per level (levels 1-7) compared to Neera. That's after we've dropped all spell-slot adding items. At 10,5 Mexp. They are both level 34. (Edit: I remember incorrectly that Necro is up +1 spell per level at later stages but it was just +1 spell throughout levels 1-7. or at least that's what my last run was)

I completely get why Nalia is great. But I have a plan.

& Thanks!

This post has been edited by pekkae: Jan 10 2022, 02:21 PM

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 10 2022, 02:13 PM
Post #12

Forum Member

A note about wares:

From every store we encounter will buy all scrolls of dispel magic as well as all scrolls of remove magic. This is a small marginal cost for us at this stage, but it is a thing that makes us rely a less on wish:rest down the road. A lot less that is. It's sort of a bummer though, as this particular thing makes a certain fight / fights a lot easier for us, but if you are playing for the first time or so you are going to have a lot harder time because you didn't prepare throughout the game. And even though some merchants can be accessed later on, a few important ones won't be so you'll actually lose a few scrolls that can be the difference between winning and losing a fight.

The 2nd scroll type we almost always buy is all "protection from fire" scrolls, for similar reasons. It will be super important down the road. Even with our setup up having 4 characters who can cast that spell (Vagrant, T->M, Jaheira + Neera) I have a feeling we might need this. It's like a very cheap life insurance down the road.

We also usually buy potions of absorption & insulation, for there's a few encounters where we know we'll need 'em. Also we buy some potions of agility for Neera and potions of defence, though we will get these from HLA's as well at some point. (IIRC).

It seems that scrolls of remove magic have been intentionally omitted from the game as they are quite rare. (we've only ever found 1 merchant who would have 3 scrolls of remove magic for sale ). For our purposes, remove magic is far superior to dispel magic though even with that we have a plan. We'll see how it works out.

The only other important thing that we buy in terms of scrolls & potions is potions of freedom where we buy all and every potions of freedom every time a merchant has them. When writing this we have 8 potions of freedom with us.

These simple preparations will make a big difference. We think.

Quote Post
kilorew
post Jan 10 2022, 03:48 PM
Post #13

Forum Member

Good luck with the run, when are you planning to tackle Demogorgon?

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 10 2022, 07:18 PM
Post #14

Forum Member

QUOTE(kilorew @ Jan 10 2022, 03:48 PM) *
Good luck with the run, when are you planning to tackle Demogorgon?

Thanks! We'll see if we need it smile.gif

We'll try to do Demogorgon as fast as possible. Probably will be done around 7-7,5 mexp.

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 10 2022, 07:49 PM
Post #15

Forum Member

Riddle in the sewers
GM+ emotion for rats. We buy Spear of Kuldahar for Shadow Lover. We're OP for this already (Jaheira has 6 apr under IH). Korgan tanks ofc. Clan Spirit under IH has 6 APR (or so) & a +3 spear, how convenient.

Sewer Gang
Use 2 scrolls of RRoR here. Nothing that special. Summon Clan Spirit, Minotaurs & fire elementals. IH on fighters, haste on summons (CS gets IH). Whack enemies one by one, CS takes Hatchetman, it can easily tank him for the needed time. It's nuts. Our other summons take the cleric. Interrupt enemy casters as much as possible. DD walks in to the middle and defensive stances. The only question is how many improved mantles we get. (We got 2).

Nalia's Quest

Free Haer'Dalis from Mekrath
Prebuff. Full on melee from everyone against the imp. Then finish the earth elementals.

Planar Prison
Haha. It's never been this easy. We din't even get hit in the Warden fight.

Prebuff before entering; IH, Chaotic Commands, Holy power +Draw Upon Holy Might (DUHM) for Jaheira. Elite Bounty Hunter is taken down with 2xRRoR, Secret word + Breach + LR + Greater malision + Doom + emotion. (that's 3 rounds). The other enemies aren't a threat. Vagrant takes the planar hound with shield of harmony. Then we immediately go for the Yuan-Ti group, since buffs are still active. For Master of Thralls we summon a few minotaurs & Clan Spirit (which is reeeeally effective), and drop haste on them, again. Then storm the enemy 1st round: remove magic + greater malision + 1 emotion and then 2nd round: 3x emotion and we're good. That was fun.

Two rests in the sphere. One rest before the master of Thralls, One rest before the warden. For warden we summon a few fire elementals, minotaurs + clan spirit. Again. Chaotic commands on everyone. IH o fighters + Jaheira + Clan Spirit. PfME on fighters. Whack planar hounds (maybe 1 round and they are both gone) then storm the warden, who takes 2RRoR + Secret Word + Breach. Clan Spirit gets whacked but our front line doesn't even get hit. No ADHW's triggered. We didn't get save a Thrall though, too bad :/.

Our plan of "enter, oblitarate, repeat" is clearly working.

This post has been edited by pekkae: Jan 10 2022, 07:51 PM

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 11 2022, 07:53 PM
Post #16

Forum Member

Cernd's Child
We let go of Cernd. You should really hang with your kid instead of going on adventuring with a bhaalspawn. I mean what is wrong with you ?

Cleric stronghold part 2

Ruling the De Arnise Keep part 2

Return dawn Ring (we did Borinali already)
Recruit Anomen to replace Cernd. And we want to do his quest. We're 50k exp short of 1,55Mexp & Planar Sphere.

Belm
IH + Fa + all buffs in our books. Fighter move in. Then casters + Anomen. Anomen already gets on everyone's nerves.

Hidden refuge (the red wizard enclave part)
Whack everything for the big fight in the bar. We gm + emotion + horror. And true sight once or twice.

The dueling families of Trademeet (funder of trademeet - thing)
Summon some fodder & whack under oils of speed. We're too good in melee already. Korgan tells Anomen he's full of s**t.

Cleric Part 3

Planar Sphere
Halflings are no problem. We + summons are completely OP for this fight. The Cleric manages to get greater command away but we have the "barad ding's collar bell" so we can wake our crew up. As a side effect it makes our crew deaf. (Deaf! Deaf as in "can't hear anything".. ? That makes me wonder, as I know of one fight where being unable to hear *cough* *wails* would be a great asset. Could it be... hmh... )

Golems in the time machine room> We barricade doorway with Clan Spirit, DD defensive stances & Anomen drops a regeneration on him. It's nice to have regen + "hardiness" in chapter 3.

Lavok fight has 2 gem golems + 4 skeleton lords. How nice. Max prebuffs so PC, DD, Jaheira + Clan Spirit (Under IH) and Anomen, minotaur + aerial servant (under haste) take the Skeleton Lords. Neera, with AoP + 7 Stoneskins tanks the 2 gem golems. A skeleton warrior goes for Lavok. After 2 lords are down (1,5 rounds or so) Clan Spirit goes to help Neera. It can easily tank a gem golem for extended time at this stage. Then we take out the remaining Skeleton Lords. Groups of skeleton lords are always easiest to take down by just storming them so they will concentrate on multiple enemies. Anomen with a staff stays back and mass cures once. Once Skeleton Lords are down, DD moves in to hug a gem + Anomen drops regen on him. He's quite safe. Once gems & skeletons are down we PfME DD & Jaheira (use 1 scroll of PfME), 3xRRoR, Breach & whack. 3 RRoR's left. Vagrant levels up. Great. Now we are even more OP as we can summon a Swanmay.

Then Tolgerias, where we just PfF + IH and use non magical weapons. We forget that we can summon a Swanmay. Maybe for the next fight then.

Lae'Illyl (or whats it's name). Summon Swanmay Clan Spirit, Minotaur + Aerial Servant. Ih on fighters + Clan spirit. Holy power for Anomen + Jaheira. Haste for rest. Draw upon holy might for Vagrant + Jaheira. Enter. Drop 1 maurezhi (or something like that) with ring of the ram temporarily. Fighters take out one enemy at the time while summons go for Lae'Illyn (to try and interrupt). We don't interrupt a single spell, though summons get it to injured. Remove magic's are problematic, since we run out of buffs. DD is frontline of our frontline and we get regeneration away before silence hits us. After that the fight is won, as DD just whack away with everyone using staves behind him So our margin is a little bit thinner than it could have been, but we easily make it.

Engine room requires many a reloads. Exactly the thing we're not supposed to do. As we are planning on overpowering enemies, not make up tactics smile.gif. Anyway, we forget something dull all the time (like renewing skins). We enter through fire chamber, the western corridor is easy to block. Neera blocks it. DD tanks on the other end with defensive stance + Anomen drops a regen on him. DD can easily take 1 golem under regen + defensive stance but 2 are a bit too much. So we turn one of the frontline golems into chickens, which conveniently blocks a second golem from reaching DD. As long as we keep the chicken alive, we can focus on 1 golem at a time. (Repeat x2). We leave one group in the engine room for later.

** Status **
Party at 1,75Mexp
Gold at 175k
28 Dispel / Remove magic scrolls (Yea!)
0 Barbarian Essences
3 Scrolls of RRoR left.
** /Status **

Quote Post
Nominar
post Jan 12 2022, 11:13 AM
Post #17

Forum Member

QUOTE(pekkae @ Jan 11 2022, 07:53 PM) *
Engine room requires many a reloads.

I'm currently doing a Necro playthrough (+Korgan, Barbarian Minsc, RB Haer'Dalis, Valygar and Cernd) and am in Spellhold atm. Did all fights except the super hard ones in Ch3, and this was the single hardest fight. Maybe because I limited myself in 2 ways, no resting and no exiting the room between golem packs. I wonder if it's an oversight, since most other fights have the exits disabled until the encounter is over. Anyway, it was horrendous, probably around 30 reloads and 18 OoR + many other healing potions. I don't remember this room being this difficult in previous runs, but maybe I rested between packs.

Quote Post
Nominar
post Jan 12 2022, 11:20 AM
Post #18

Forum Member

28 Dispel / Remove magic scrolls

Why are you collecting those? And how did you get so many?

Quote Post
pekkae
post Jan 12 2022, 11:30 AM
Post #19

Forum Member

QUOTE(Nominar @ Jan 12 2022, 11:13 AM) *
QUOTE(pekkae @ Jan 11 2022, 07:53 PM) *
Engine room requires many a reloads.

I'm currently doing a Necro playthrough (+Korgan, Barbarian Minsc, RB Haer'Dalis, Valygar and Cernd) and am in Spellhold atm. Did all fights except the super hard ones in Ch3, and this was the single hardest fight. Maybe because I limited myself in 2 ways, no resting and no exiting the room between golem packs. I wonder if it's an oversight, since most other fights have the exits disabled until the encounter is over. Anyway, it was horrendous, probably around 30 reloads and 18 OoR + many other healing potions. I don't remember this room being this difficult in previous runs, but maybe I rested between packs.

Unless Korgan is a DD I'd imagine you had great difficulties there.

I think you are too hard on yourself. 30 realoads takes the fun out, as you don't have to do it (or at least for me ). You could use the chicken-trick described up above for limiting the damage + blocking the corridor, then it's probably doable. I won't even try though personally. I just do 1-2 packs, get the stuff I need & then out & return later on when I can dominate smile.gif.

How did you manage with the Crystal Shard kobolds with that crew?

Why are you collecting those? And how did you get so many?

For demon fights later on.

This post has been edited by pekkae: Jan 12 2022, 11:37 AM

Quote Post
Nominar
post Jan 12 2022, 11:34 AM
Post #20

Forum Member

For demon fights later on.

I still don't understand. Aren't scrolls cast at level 10 always?

Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd July 2024 - 10:12 AM