The Black Wyrm Lair Forums
The Black Wyrm's Lair Terms of Use Help Search Members Calendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Converting PS: Torment Character Anims., ...and the issues you will encounter.
JJL
post Jul 26 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

I've just spent the past several days attempting to make Dakkon's animations playable within the Baldur's Gate 2 scheme. Initially the process seems very simple, but you will eventually hit the following roadblock(s):

1.) PS:T apparently generates its own east-oriented animations. Whether it mirrors three of the west-oriented variants automatically or not, I cant say. Hopefully someone else here can.

2.) What the above means is that you are left with character animations that will only face to the south, southwest, west, northwest, and north. Once your order the sprite to face eastward, either the BG-programmed animation for the slot you're using will manifest, or the character disappears until they're turned westward again.

I utilized every program I could find to make this work. This includes:

BAM Workshop 1
BAM Workshop 2
Creature BAM-It!
bamresizer
and the ICL-whatever, which was quite useless in this regard.

Of the list, only BAM Workshop 1 was of any help, except for one crucial lacking: flipping individual frames horizontally doesnt alter the position of the animated portion of the frame. Instead, it does just that: flips the animated portion without moving its placement on the transparent canvas. What you end up with in this case is an animation in which Dakkon's feet no longer stay put, as his sword strike seems to collide with an invisible barrier, repelling his entire body backwards like a spring. In short, it ends up looking pretty lame.

I've tried everything I could think of to remedy this. I've tried exporting both sequences AND frames from BAM Workshop 1 and editing them with a plethora of other photo-editing programs (Photoshop CS2, Macro Flash 8.0, Fireworks, etc.), but there's always an issue with the canvas being completely re-vamped (enlarged). This leaves me with a Dakkon who is misaligned with his "proper" animations, as well as a complete lack of preservation where transparency is concerned.

In conclusion, the good news is this:

1.) PS:T BAMs are laid out much the same as IWD BAMs.
2.) Most of your work is done simply by exporting original BAMs from one game and re-naming them to suit another.
3.) The BAM re-sizing issue has already been worked out thanks to the bamresizer program mentioned above. (Which works like a charm, by the way)

The bad news is this:

1.) PS:T BAMs must generate its own animation mirrors for eastern orientations, as there are no corresponding "XXXXXXe.BAM" files that I've been able to find.
2.) I've found that, using the only really USEFUL BAM editor (BAM Workshop 1) there is absolutely no way to reallocate the animation to generate a proper east-oriented counterpart. (The implied simplicity of such an issue as image-mirroring vexes me to no end, by the way)
3.) .GIFs are utterly useless in this regard as well, as they will not preserve transparency without a great deal of work, and even if they do the animations themselves are still misaligned.

Anything mentioned above is only based upon my understanding of the factors mentioned, and is certainly subject to scrutiny by those who have pulled this off successfully. It could be that I'm simply overlooking something, but from my experience it is either impossibly tedious or nigh-impossible to make this happen. It is my hope that someone will prove me wrong, or at least provide some insight into the issues I encountered.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post

Posts in this topic
JJL   Converting PS: Torment Character Anims.   Jul 26 2006, 08:47 PM
Rabain   There used to be a TeamBG tutorial going around ou...   Jul 26 2006, 09:22 PM
Rabain   Okay this is the part of the tutorial I was talkin...   Jul 26 2006, 09:38 PM
JJL   Thank you so much for providing the formula I was ...   Jul 26 2006, 09:43 PM
Sir-Kill   I have not tried it but I think that DLTCEP can cr...   Jul 26 2006, 10:11 PM
Galactygon   Yes, under .bam editing you can use Tools -> Cr...   Jul 27 2006, 09:31 AM
igi   Or, perhaps, one of the following: +) Never knew...   Jul 27 2006, 04:46 PM
Rabain   Why the assumption that I was hitting out at teamb...   Jul 27 2006, 05:09 PM
igi   I don't see the need for you to take a random ...   Jul 27 2006, 06:43 PM
Baronius   igi, we certainly still have the TeamBG tutorials ...   Jul 27 2006, 06:50 PM
igi   I thought we had all the old TBG tutorials up? I...   Jul 27 2006, 06:52 PM
Avenger_teambg   dltcep contains a some tools to support conversion...   Aug 4 2006, 04:59 PM
Chronis   This is a really old post, but I just converted fa...   Sep 30 2007, 01:32 PM
Galactygon   To do this quickly and efficently you will need tw...   Oct 3 2007, 03:38 PM
Cuv   Yes, only Photoshop could do proper antialiasing, ...   Oct 6 2007, 03:36 PM
Chronis   I had issues with sequence deletion occur repeated...   Nov 1 2007, 04:37 AM
Cuv   If anyone is interested, I have begun converting ...   Oct 23 2007, 02:01 PM
Galactygon   Cuv: Thank you very much for those animations...   Oct 23 2007, 09:16 PM
Galactygon   Oh, on a side note, you will have to give ingame c...   Oct 23 2007, 09:19 PM
Cuv   Galactygon: Glad you can use them... and thanks f...   Oct 24 2007, 01:38 PM
Galactygon   I was also hoping to get together with you on BA. ...   Oct 25 2007, 07:49 PM
Galactygon   Up until now, I hadn't noticed this thread, wh...   Oct 27 2007, 12:33 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th September 2024 - 07:06 PM