The Black Wyrm's Lair Terms of Use Help Search Members Calendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Few-reload Anvil solo walkthrough, I will try to make it no-reload insane
saros
post Sep 10 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

Editor's foreword (by Sikret):

Since we have thoroughly tested most of the things saros reports in this thread and have found most of them totally false and misleading, we would like to emphasize that the content of this thread is not reliable and can even be misleading for new players. It's worth noting however that none of the things he has written (not even one single word) has been deleted. We could of course delete the entire topic, because we are not supposed to publish false and forged reports about Improved Anvil, but we decided to keep it as an evidence to show how the game should NOT be played for future reference.

saros is playing the game in an illegitimate way with lots of cheats. Many of the things he reports are totally false and can be misleading for other players. So, those who want to read reliable information about IA, should not waste their time reading this thread, because it can affect their mentality about the mod in an invalid and misleading way. As he has admitted in one of his own posts, he is just playing the mod in order to prove that he can win it with a solo character even if it means using cheap methods and cheats.

Even worse than his cheats are his lies. He has reported several nonexistent bugs; for example, each time he fails to win a battle, he retorts by saying that the battle was bugged and such things. Improved Anvil's testing team has thoroughly examined all of his alleged bug reports and has found all of them to be false and fake. Some of them can be interpreted as mistakes of an unskilled player who doesn't observe the events carefully, but some others are so obvious that they can only be interpreted as deliberate and intentional lies.

The best way to tell a lie and make it believable is to tell a big lie and then say "everyone is welcome to test it for himself". This is exactly what saros does. Of course, everyone is indeed welcome to test what he reports and see that he is lying (as we did), but saros is counting on psychological effect of his words and knows that most players won't actually test what he says. I don't really understand what motivates him and what is his purpose of writing so many lies. As I said, most of the lies he writes can't really be interpreted as simple mistakes; they are so obvious that can only be intentional. To see a concrete example of his lies
click here. Examples of his lies and false reports are really numerous, but I don't have any extra time to waste on composing a complete list of them.

Of course, at first, we decided to help saros play the mod in a legitimate way in a friendly tone, but he kept refusing to listen.

Cheaters never prosper. True winners never cheat. Liars are even worse than cheaters.

As a newer and recent discovery, saros had actually more than one nickname(s) here at BWL and had cross-posted some of his lies with another nickname as well. When someone is not honest, he is not honest in many ways.

=============================================

I wanted to do this, because of the screenshots I'm going to post in the new adventure, of the no reload strategies in chapters 2 and 3, and because of the fact I'm going to use fewer exploits this time. For instance, no more Amnish Patrol killing or multiple Time Trap laying or re equipping Eternal Melody will be done.

My current character is a Gnomish Lawful Good Figthter/Illusionist. Stats : 18(22)/18/18/19/17/4. Proficiencies: ** LS, **Flail, ***2Weapon *Quarterstaff.

For xp inflation I used spell erasing/scribing, several NPC sidequests and also a 'thief for hire', in order to disarm traps and pick locks for xp.
For saving money I used Aerie as party leader with Friends spell when buying stuff.

Quest order:

Circus Tent without talking to the guard(left for later). Also waited for the first two night time encounters in the Promenade.

Copper Coronet: Killed Amalas and Corvale outside.

Reached lvl 9/10

Killed Suna Seni on the way to City Gates. Web was the main offensive spell here. While Emotion is also good, I've found out that Web is even better in most situations for a well protected solo(meaning, save vs spells below -2). Web is a 2nd level spell(compared to Emotion which is 4th lvl), has shorter casting time, catches enemies immune to Hold and Sleep, allows saving at -2(compared to Emotion at 0), and also, if an enemy saves the first round, there is still the each round check(while Emotion has 1 check only).

Obtained some easy xp and cleared the graveyard crypts. Killed the next random city encounter enemy groups easily.

Raised rep to 15 by donating. Raised rep to 17 by exposing Rejiek and talking to the guard outside Circus Tent.

Completed Trademeet Quests(killed the Genies, they're easier). Also, completed the 1st Challenge of the Grove in order to obtain the Root of the Problem. Also, became Great Druid.

Fulfilled Tiris' quest(rep is already 19)

Using Aerie, bought scrolls and an Archmage Robe in Trademeet.

Obtained some more easy xp, like starting Firkraag's quests, clearing Umar Hills, returning Dryad Acorns, stealing a necklace for Mae'var, etc.

When PC reached xp levels 11/12, he joined Jan. Jan joined at 1.2 million total xp, meaning that each lockpick was worth 950 xp and each trap disarmed 2750 xp.

With Jan's help, I looted all of the available city areas, and also a small portion of WK previously cleared by my PC. Also, Jan looted many scrolls, items and gold, as well as 2 Permanency scrolls for me. He had (with potions) pickpocketing skill of 255, so he never failed.

I completed Mae'var's quest. Before that, with the help of Aerie, some items and scrolls were bought from Gorch. BTW, my prof points at lvl 9 and 12 went to Clubs.

I also completed the Fallen Paladins quest(20 rep), and gave Aerie the stolen Helm of Glory, in order to get max discount.

My Thieves guild turned out to be quite a profit. With the gold earned (roughly 4000 per week), and Aerie's help, I was able to buy each and every spell scroll available, and use them for xp boost. Afterwards, I was able to forge a Ring and a Cloak of protection +3. Laeral's tear necklaces are hard to come by, but I was lucky to find 2 as random treasure drop.

In between, I killed the rest of the Vampire nighttime encounters, by using ProMW and Improved Haste. I also killed Mae'var for his items, which didn't in any way affect my Guild BTW. Of course, then I joined Bodhi.
I also had to solve Jan's personal quest.

I also forged the Treefolk's Arm +4.

After the whole xp boost, I completed in the following order:

Bodhi's tasks (using SI: Conjuration in order to avoid Maze traps in Aran's hideout, and later Jan to disarm them).

The lower graveyard tombs, and also PaiNa's guardians(without entering the lair).

Neb's quest.

Belm encounter.

Several other Athkatlan average monster groups, like in the basement of Rejiek or minotaurs of Kangaxx for instance.

The Harper Hold quest(left intentionally unfinished for the Scroll of Permanency inside, and also for killing the Spectral Harpists).

Jaheira's subquests(both of them).

1st level of WK, all monsters and traps, without taking any of the holy quest items(left for later when I have a stronger PC).

Hendak's quests, both of them, plus Lilalcor quest. Bought some powerful scrolls afterwards from Bernard.

The De'arnise hold. The toughest fight was undoubtedly the one with the F/M Greater Yuan Ti and the Whisper Spider. MY F/M was already 16th level Illusionist. I used Improved Haste, Mordy Swords(random treasure drop scroll), and also ProMW to take down the spider quickly. The Yuan Ti wasted a Death spell on 1 sword, and faced 3 more. While battling them, PC cast: Pierce Shield(also random treasure drop, Pierce magic works too), Pierce Shield, Remove Magic(removed Mirror Image), Breach(removed other combat protections) Greater Malinson, Sequencer with 3 Emotions, and...that was that. Web also works wonders against him once his resistance is lowered and he has no Globe of Invulnerability to protect him.

The next 2 weapon prof went to Short Swords(at lvl 15 and 18)

Windspear Hills 1st and 2nd floor without Samia's quest. Due to high xp levels, PC had to face 2 groups of 2 Gem, 2 Coin and a greater Bone golems. Illusion buffs, ProMW, Treefolk Arm vs Bone and Gem golems, and Short Sword of Backstabbing against Coin golems, the fights were quickly won. BTW, Treefolk's arm is a great weapon against golems(and undead too), since it adds additional damage due to the fact that these enemies are unnatural.

Mencar's group.
This battle was easy for my 19/18 lvl F/I. Enemy wizard buffs were dispelled with Remove magic and Porky fell. Amon was lucky even the second time with my Remove magic, yet his Improved Mantles couldn't save him from Treefolk's arm great acid damage. My 3 ProMW(one from Contingency) were enough to slay the fighters, and finally I summoned a Planetar which killed the thief by itself.

The important spoils from this fight were scrolls of Ruby Ray and Improved Mantle, and Ashideena, of course.

Pirate's hideout.

The first combat move was Remove Magic, in order to dispel potion of magic shielding buffs, as well as coordinator's Mirror Image. Afterwards, melee, Greater Malinson and multiple Webs kept me well protected not only from Pirates, but from Mordy Swords as well. PC also refreshed Spell Turning once(anti Ruby Ray).

By refreshing buffs, and keeping Improved Mantle active almost all of the time, I waited long enough for Coordinator's SI and globe to vanish, staying at the same time as far away as possible from him(never approached in melee). As soon as his buffs waned, I summoned a Planetar out of enemy sight, which cast True Sight. With Coordinator's Illusion buffs dispelled, I waited for the right moment(Coordinator casting spell on Planetar) to cast Breach on him and simultaneously attack with both Planetar and PC. Still, Coordinator was able to waste one of the precious scrolls of Absolute Immunity, but another Breach and powerful melee strikes killed him.

Spoils from the battle: Spellstrike scroll, Absolute Immunity scroll and other items.

Sewer encounters: Rakshasa fell quickly(4 protections needed to be active: ProFire, ProMagicEnergy, ProMagicWeapons or AI, and SI:A). Tachnor and his band were relatively easy, mainly due to PC's many Improved Mantle spells and Spell Turning recasting against Gaius' Ruby Rays.

The Illithid compartment: I knew this is going to be hard. My PC was already lvl 20/19. I buffed well and drank a potion of Stone Giant strength. I killed the cleric, but still he cast his Storm of Vengeance. I retreated in the 1st room, after killing some enemies surrounding me(Umber hulk and Mind Flayer). Just in time I recast my Spell Turning. I activated 1 more ProMW and again cast Spell Turning. Enemy mage gave up Raying me. Afterwards I focused on the Assassin and the two Gem golems(they're the only ones with weapons of higher than +3 enchantment). Used my last ProMW and one Absolute Immunity to kill them. Killed the fighters afterwards, refreshing SI and starting on the Improved Mantles. Without his allies, the mage was lost.

Alohoon and his army: PC had 3 Impr Haste and 3 ProMW memorized, and ProMW in Contingency. In addition to normal buffs, PC activated only SI:A as spell protection(Alohoon has no Rays), 1 potion of Defense, 2 potions of Absorbtion and 1 potion of Frost Giant str.
PC opened the door and quickly ran on bottom of screen. Only Alohoon and Elemental golem followed. PC Rayed Alohoon 2 times, and afterwards used Remove Magics and melee to kill him. Afterwards, all of the Flayers and Ulitharids and Umberhulks fell, while PC cast Illusion buffs(ImprInvis and Mirror Image). The Elemental golem and his minions couldn't even scratch PC(with -20 AC and an additional -20 Crushing modifier), so PC calmly killed the minions, and when the Elemental golem stopped summoning, he was slain as well.

The most valuable loot from these battles were undoubtedly Wish scroll and Spell Trigger scroll. Well, that's for now. Going to earn some gold and Wands of Spell Striking via Wish...

PC created 4 wands of Spell Striking via Wishing, and sold/rebought one in order to have Pierce Magic option too(wished wands come with breach only).

Firkraag's dungeon: Conster.

By maintaining Spell Turning and ProMW active, PC killed the 8 skeleton lords in melee. Conster had a lot of Ruby Rays(five or more), and my PC's spell turnings ended, but even though Conster managed to remove PC's SI:A, PC's aura was clean and he immediately cast a new one. Spell trigger also helped, with both Spell Deflection and ProMW. Conster's first stoneskin was unremovable by any means save melee.

Samia and her party: this battle is ridiculously easy with sufficient Improved Mantles and Breaching charges from a wand. The battle started with PC(illusion buffed) activating a Sequencer with triple Remove Magic in the midst of the enemy while Cleric and F/D were both casting True Sight. The F/D was very quickly slain(because of his Creeping Doom which not only disrupts spellcasting, but on Insane also deals roughly 120 points of damage for the duration). Afterwards fell the Cleric, Akae, Samia, and last fell Ferric via several Breaching charges and Kaol.
On the body of Kaol I found the Robe of Vecna.

Afterwards was completed Paladin's stronghold quests. Firkraag was slain via a Wish TS&IA. This was a no reload victory, since, if I didn't get what I wanted, I simply left his lair, rested in the dungeon, rebuffed and went again in his lair for Wishing. PC was lvl 22/20, so he had 3 Wishes.

The Unseeing Eye quest was next. Here I made 2 reloads, but since it was because of game bugs, I still consider the game to be a no reload.

The first bug was when I fought the random spawn in the Ghoul lair. A Shade Lich with 2 Grandlords and 2 Lords appeared, and strangely, the lich cast a Ruby Ray which somehow disrupted my spellcasting for 3 rounds and I died. I checked, PC was completely immune to physical attacks, no text in the battle window explaining spell failure, no damage taken, spells which failed to be cast all had 0 to 2 casting time(ProMW, SI:A). I remember having this bug with Cowled Wizard battles on athkatlan streets for spellcasting violation.
I reloaded, the second time the bug appeared when the lich activated his Sequencer. Since, however, its Skeletons were already dead(for 4 rounds only), this time the spellcasting failure was not that essential, and things were normal again after 2 rounds.
A Planetar is a great ally against the lich: it lures the lich to use its ProMW, dispels Liche's illusions and also his Globe of Blades eventually removes the lich's stoneskin.
I have rarely noticed this bug before, because in my previous walkthrough I relied heavily on Time Traps and Time Stop when battling powerful spellcasters.

The second bug was with the Rift device. Since I left the sewers one with only one part of the device, PC was not killed. However, when I assembled it in the depths, immediately the 'sudden death' message appeared. Fortunately, I had a save before collecting the first part of the Device, and I reloaded.

Planetars are great vs Beholders, since their Globe of Blades usually shreds them to pieces.

Improved Lord Roenall fight: as strange as it may seem, several Roenall guards did not use their Arrows of Piercing +4 against PC, while he was protected only by Improved mantle and Stoneskin. The mage was slain via Breaching charges and melee, 1 charge went for each of the elite Guards' hardiness, and the lord himself was slain under a successful TS&IA wish. Since he was alone however, and PC had enough spell protections left, I think that this Wish simply shortened the agony of the Lord Roenall, nothing more.

Kangaxx's guardians were slain under this combo: Ruby Ray, Spell Turning, Spell Turning, Spell Turning, Summon Planetar(Planetar casts True Sight and Globe of Blades), refresh SI: A, wait for all of the Lich's proMW to expire, cast ImprHaste, melee.

Kangaxx was slain in the same manner. However, PC had a lot of Spell Deflections and Turnings memorized for this fight.

Demilich form: note to self: when facing Demiliches, provide some elemental resisance potion buff before the start of the fight.

PC cast Improved Alacrity. Then the fight was exchanging Ruby Rays(Kangaxx), and spell deflection/turning(PC). Gaxx had 7 or 8 ruby rays. Afterwards he started lowering PC's fire,elec and acid resistance. PC read carefully the battle text and drank potions according to resistance lowered. With Impr Haste and Treefolk Arm, the fight was soon solved. PC still had half of his HP lost in the fight.

Pai'na's lair was also cleared. A ring +4 was assembled, as well as 3 rings +2.

Currently PC is lvl 25/22, mainly due to the fact that in each improved battle, I prefer to slay the gated monsters first until the boss stops summoning them. This increases the difficulty of the fight to some extent, since it's usually unwise to leave the boss to do what he wants, as all bosses are dangerous.

I would like to assemble yet another Ring +4 and 2 or 3 Staves of Striking before storming the rest of the tough areas: WK lvl 1 and 2, Temple Ruins, Planar Prison, Lady Vania's quests, Troll Mound, Umar, Guarded Compound. PC now has 3 GWW attacks and 5 criticals, which I fear that may be insufficient for some of the fights. I think that Troll mound and Viper Queen are best left for Chapter six, together with the Cowled Wizards, Orcus and the Twisted Rune.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 05:20 PM