The Black Wyrm Lair Forums
The Black Wyrm's Lair Terms of Use Help Search Members Calendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Berserker-Mage solo insane run, a test run
Krell
post Jun 9 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Forum Member

So I've decided to try and devise no-reload tactics for such a character. Moreover, I've picked a game where Robe of Vecna isn't easily found (not on Kaol or Alhoon's unnamed Mage).

Feel free to dislike certain tactics, but keep in mind that I made no external modifications whatsoever to this game. Used a lot of in-game exploits to make it work though.
Will continue using in-game exploits, in an attempt to see how far can such a character go.
Keep in mind that a F/M protagonist of any kind is subject to many changes in the script, triggering nasty abilities from certain powerful enemies, losing a lot of items due to the sole fact that he's soloing and/or a F/M.
A B-M doesn't have the Wish-Rest option as well, neither gets the Expanded Mage Stronghold quests.
Also, with the Robe of Vecna being a late-game item, many enemies are extremely hard to beat.

How to create a powerful enough B-M:

Exit Chateau Irenicus, apply an endless gold/xp exploit, level up the B-M up to level 21 (to maximize THAC0). Picked up Power Attack + Critical Strike HLAs.

Used scroll drinking exploit (sorry about that) to beat Suna Seni with ease. Then again, running away from her is just as good, since PC needs neither the gold nor the xp or items she has.

Defeated Pai-Na (again, scroll drinking, probably could've done it another way too but on Insane it's risky). While PC hasn't dualclassed yet, there IS a Spell Immunity scroll in Pai-Na's treasure trove. That was the sole reason of why PC had to engage her prior to dualclassing. After that the scroll miraculously disappears (anti-F/M scripting).

Roamed a bit around the city, left some free xp untouched, in Umar Hills too. Dualclassed at Berserker level 21, collected the free xp, leveled mage to 11. Back to the city, applied the endless xp/gold exploit up to mage level 25.

Proficiencies: ***** WarHammer, **Flail, **Bastard Sword, **Short Sword, ***Two-Weapon style, and two wasted *Quarterstaff *Dagger.

Numerous battles in the right correct order supplied PC with needed spell scrolls like Improved Mantle, RRR, Spell Turning, Remove Magic, Improved Haste, GoI, etc.

Did the Windspear Dungeon lvl 2 with three token party members to avoid losing Robe of Vecna (if in possession of Kaol). No robe though.

Chapter 3 was uneventful, although had some trouble vs Alhoon and his Greater Elemental golem. Without Critical strikes, he just wouldn't fall quickly enough. The only sound strategy was multiple Noble Spiders.

Max mage level is 28, which leaves PC with -2 spell slots spell levels 1-7 and -1 spell slot lvl 8 and 9 compared to a 31 or 36 lvl mage. All in all, the spell slots for all levels are just too few. We'll see how it goes.

Currently in chapter 4, the Asylum. Interesting info so far:

Amber golems can be petrified (many players probably know that already). However, I didn't know that the Mithril Golem can also be petrified. An easy victory over an otherwise very tough opponent.

By switching main- and offhand weapon, and preserving the total APR by doing that, it is possible to score hits with the offhand as well. Example:

PC has Phosphorous main, Belm off, 9 APR (under Improved Haste), attacking a Skeleton Grandlord. 1-st half round 3 hits main hand 1 hit off-hand 1 hit main-hand. 2nd half-round 3 hits main-hand, 1 hit off-had.
1st half-round: Wait for the first 3 hits, pause game, put a warhammer main-hand and move Phosphorous off-hand. Total APR preserved (9) due to GM with Warhammers, and after unpausing, PC will score a hit with the off-hand, now holding Phosphorous. After the hit, exchange weapons again. A bit tedious, but effective.

Spell Immunity Evocation offers no protection vs Amber golems, unfortunately.

On the Library level in Spellhold, if staking Dace right away and killing his Vampire Lord, PC (or the party, in other cases) can afterwards run away to the safety of the upper level during any battle (Improved Kobolds, Cat'o'Nine'Lives) and enemies won't follow. Nice for resting and replenishing spells.

This post has been edited by Krell: Jun 9 2015, 05:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Bill Bisco
post Jun 19 2015, 09:29 AM
Post #2

Forum Member

What is the endless gold/xp exploit that you used?

How do you scroll drink?
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Krell   Berserker-Mage solo insane run   Jun 9 2015, 05:17 PM
Krell   Jon Irenicus: Level apparently above 28, since my...   Jun 9 2015, 06:06 PM
Krell   The lone Balor in the Swirfneblin village (and res...   Jun 9 2015, 08:58 PM
Krell   Chapter 5, two tougher fights, the Demonknights an...   Jun 11 2015, 03:06 PM
Krell   Dragon lairs (any, except Saladrex): PC (or suppo...   Jun 11 2015, 08:29 PM
Krell   Lord Roenall's elite guards have a very neat a...   Jun 12 2015, 11:24 AM
critto   Well, it's not exactly as powerful as summonin...   Jun 12 2015, 07:19 PM
Krell   Well, it's not exactly as powerful as summonin...   Jun 12 2015, 08:36 PM
Krell   Found a decent way to beat Hell Irenicus, simply r...   Jun 13 2015, 10:23 AM
Krell   Nyalee - can be dispelled even by a 28th level mag...   Jun 13 2015, 03:52 PM
Krell   Sendai, ugh, took me a lot of time to develop a so...   Jun 14 2015, 12:40 AM
Krell   Draconis: Equipment includes Dak'Kon zerth bl...   Jun 14 2015, 11:46 AM
Krell   Abazigal: Entered, killed all Frost Salamanders i...   Jun 14 2015, 02:46 PM
bulian   Wow quite impressive! I cant help but think t...   Jun 15 2015, 01:45 AM
Krell   Thanx. About those golems, well, they can be beate...   Jun 15 2015, 05:20 AM
critto   Petrifying of golems is blocked in IAv6.2 :) Enjoy...   Jun 15 2015, 05:49 AM
Krell   Petrifying of golems is blocked in IAv6.2 :) Enjoy...   Jun 17 2015, 07:13 PM
chaser   Agree.I petrify web golems every time,it doesn...   Jun 17 2015, 11:53 PM
Bill Bisco   What is the endless gold/xp exploit that you used?...   Jun 19 2015, 09:29 AM
Krell   What is the endless gold/xp exploit that you used?...   Jun 19 2015, 09:53 AM
Krell   More exploits which I don't use except on test...   Jun 19 2015, 10:01 AM
critto   Because nobody else cares about it? Yeah, we close...   Jun 19 2015, 10:07 AM
Krell   Because nobody else cares about it? Yeah, we clo...   Jun 19 2015, 10:33 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 09:06 PM