The Black Wyrm Lair Forums
The Black Wyrm's Lair Terms of Use Help Search Members Calendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Random Crashes
Galactygon
post Jul 20 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #1



Group Icon

Mod Developer
Posts: 1158
Joined: 22-July 04
From: Sweden




Ever since I have my used version of Baldur's Gate II, I have been plagued by random crashes in BGII. They are too random to replicate and fix, but they happen pretty often so they are a pain.

Usually they happen when a creature is summoned (especially if you hit the pause key at that moment), but sometimes they just happen. I noticed they happen more often with creatures from mods, and when the override folder has more files.

Is it just me or have other people experienced them as well? Do you think biffing the override folder would help?

-Galactygon


--------------------
Go to the top of the page
 
Quote Post
 
Start new topic
Replies
Baronius
post Jul 21 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #2


Master of energies
Group Icon

Council Member
Posts: 3336
Joined: 9-July 04
From: Magyarország




There is no need for a debate anyway, since -- as we can read in Sikret's Improved Anvil FAQ -- it's an open question whether G3 fixpack introduces more fixes than bugs at all. The random pattern of crashes would be typical to G3 fixpack (even if we can't be sure without further research), because G3 fixpack changes a lot of different things. Did you have G3 fixpack installed when you had more crashes, Galc? (I know you have crashes in vanilla game too, but you said there are fewer.)

A giant project such as G3 fixpack would require 3-4 experienced modders with at least as much devotion and free time as Sikret sacrifices for Improved Anvil; not 10-15 hobby mod makers who are just interested in increasing the popularity of their favourite site by adding as many untested things to the fixpack as possible.

It is like a surgical operation; if it's done by 15-20 people, the patient will most likely die, while 3 good doctors who focus on the work will succeed.

Nonetheless, you're right, this thread shouldn't be hijacked, so I won't continue my train of thought (I told the most important thoughts anyway). Of course, anyone interested in this particular topic (= the problems of G3 "fixpack") is free to PM me for more information.


--------------------
Mental harmony dispels the darkness.
Go to the top of the page
 
Quote Post
Tervadh
post Jul 21 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #3





Forum Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 20-October 06




QUOTE(Baronius @ Jul 21 2008, 03:55 PM) *
Nonetheless, you're right, this thread shouldn't be hijacked, so I won't continue my train of thought (I told the most important thoughts anyway). Of course, anyone interested in this particular topic (= the problems of G3 "fixpack") is free to PM me for more information.
Heh. I think we're all well aware of your thoughts on this subject smile.gif.

But your first post most accurately addressed the problem described:
QUOTE
It might have to do with animations (problematic animations are known to cause crashes).
This is a known issue in the unmodded games. I've seen it happen with wyverns in unmodded BG1 (see the fourth post down here) and it was known to happen with dragons in IWD-HoW before a patch addressed it, and it's known to happen with other creatures such as BG2 dragons, perhaps at seemingly "random" times but probably more related to video hardware and settings than anything else. (And AFAIK the Fixpack does nothing with animations.) If you have a mod that does (such as LCBA) that probably doesn't help matters.

Apart from that, I've had seemingly random crashes in an unmodded BG1 that went away when I did a full reinstall, so it could've been an installation glitch or media defect in that case.


--------------------
"Humor is an affirmation of dignity, a declaration of man's superiority to all that befalls him." -Romain Gary, Promise at Dawn
Go to the top of the page
 
Quote Post

Posts in this topic


Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:



- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2026 - 02:42 AM